Whats good about Manchester???

Options
mirabella
mirabella Member Posts: 272
edited 26. Jan 2011, 10:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
Ok! All you guys out there,looks like I will be relocating to the suberbs of Manchester,SALE actually,so I would like to know the good and bad bits of this area
Hospital,consultants especially,andthe nearest bit of country coz if I don't see a wide open space on a regular basis,I will just have to live in a field,or put my head in a bag and be done with it :sad: Mirabella

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry Mirabella
    I dont know that part of Manchester...I do hope you get somewhere nice ....It cant be easy having to move...can you not claim any rights with the length of time you have lived there.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    NOOOOOOO!, not gunchester!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think you could research hospitals/consultants on-line, but I know nothing about that area. Sorry. :sad: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Right now then here goes, I WAS ONLY JOKING OK IT'S ABLOODY BIG CITY AND I HAVE A GOOD FREIND WHO LIVES THERE AND HE CALLS IT FOR A LAUGH, IN FACT A LOT OF PEOPLE DO SO DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT ANYWAY IT COULD BE WORSE HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO DIDCOT?!.

Honestly I come back on for 1 second and stick me foot in it right up to me plums, Jesus what a carry on. **** it. :| :x :roll: :oops:

ALPHA MIKE FOXTROT, 10 10 we gone, catch you on the flip side.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Like most cities there are nice and not so nice areas. Sale part of Manchester borders into Cheshire with lots of countryside. Have a search of national trust properties nearby such as Tatton Park and Dunham Massey to visit. Also being in a city it doesnt matter if you forget something at the shops as theres loads of supermarkets, hospitals again - lots of choice.
    The seaside isnt too far and neither is North Wales. Motorway network nearby and tram service.
  • mirabella
    Options
    Thanks guys,will do some research,I understand the lake district only an hour away too,so guess it could be worse,bet it's colder and wetter though,not good for the joints :roll: Mirabella
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Best thing about it is you only have to get on the m62 to leave!! Lol.... Sorry, couldn't resist..... Yorkshire man and all that... :grin::grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Jules1
    Jules1 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi there Mirabella

Welcome to Sale!! actually I live Sale Moor I call it Sale upon the Moor!!

It is not too bad, Sale is like any town/city it has its good points and bad, Manchester is good for night clubs etc and so are neighbouring towns, Rusholme is excellent for a stroll or a drive for a curry night known as the curry mile, there is lots to do and plenty to see in and around Manchester or a few miles drive you are in the Cheshire countryside.
    I was born in Hale, Cheshire and moved to Sale when I was 13, my grandparents were from the South East (Hastings) and that became my second home, on marrying my hubby we lived in Devon on and off for a few years until we moved back to Sale and a couple of years ago we moved to a village in the Peak District where we ran a pub with lettings rooms until hubby became very poorly and again back to good old Sale.
    The Derbyshire hills known as the Peak District are on your doorstop along with alot of interesting places, Wales is just a stones throw and we sometimes do a trip out there to the beach or you could go Blackpool, Liverpool, Ellesmere Port, Chester just to name a few.
    There are excellent hospitals in the area Wythenshawe hospital (just round the corner they film Shameless), Trafford General Hospital, WIthington, Manchester Royal
    You have Alderely Edge where alot of the rich and famous hang out and lovely walks in the area, Wilmslow another place the list can go on and on.
    Luv
    Jules xxx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    delboy!
    Trafford Centre have red coat staff walking around and do a great job of keeping out hoodies, kids in groups etc - it is a very safe shoppping environment!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Don't go to the Trafford Centre unless you're wearing a hoodie and your partner has a Tesco value hairdo. :P
    I live around 15 miles from the Trafford centre...thought you was going to say you need comfy shoes....believe me you do.... :roll: :lol: talking about hoodies I have just treated myself to a lovely purple one.....wonder if they will let me in :wink::lol:
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    we will say anything Tinks, never bloody works though eh?! :roll: :lol:

If only it was that easy to get you to stop.. Haha
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mirabella
    Options
    Thanks Jules 1,just what I needed to hear,a few years ago I went up to visit my daughter(I could drive that far in those days did not have arthur to put up with).I remember a place called Altringham :?: I also sort of remember some of the names you have mentioned,I just remember most of all that it was so built up,lots and lots of houses and buildings,and I am not used to that,I find them so big and so imposing,(if thats the right word).I also spent couple of days at christmas at my daughters house,but that was going from my house to hers,it was too cold and snowy to go anywhere else,and from there she very cleverly drove me across WoodHead to my parents,so I was not in one place for any length of time.I have also been on Google Earth,and followed the canal,and gone across the country to the Peaks,Liverpool exc:I am sure that Sale like anywhere else can be a good place to live,it's just that I will miss so much,looking out onto fields,the river,just the pure open space,and my huge garden.My dogs run free around the woods,the open spaces,they will find it harder than me.
    Thanks so muchfor your reply anyway.Mirabella
  • Jules1
    Jules1 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi again Mirabella

Forgot to mention for walks right on the doorstep is Sale Water Park which you can walk round or go down to Jacksons Boat and you can have lovely walks along the River Mersey or cross the bridge and the open space is yours!!
    Just outside Altrincham is Dunham Massey - Dunham Massey park think dogs need to be on lead with the deer but not sure and then Tatton Park with acres and acres of land - both are National Trust and further on down the road is Delamere Forest which is great if you have dogs.
    If you need any more advise please let me know.

Luv
    Jules x