advice about OA hip steriod injection

Options
tillypink
tillypink Member Posts: 212
edited 4. Feb 2011, 13:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone me again looking for some advice please? :|

If some of u read my last post last wk, I had a steriod injection into my left hip last thursday and had a rough time with it, and had to be put to sleep with it in the end as it was just to tender and painfull :cry: !

As to date from thurs till tonight I've been in loads of pain and agony in the area, my leg has swelled a bit, even though I've done nothing but rest and chill, and the brusie left behind from the injection is the size of my fist if not bigger!

Just wanting to know how long it takes to kick in and actually work hopefully? and if anyone else has had simular symptoms and pain and is it worth going to the dr's tomorrow for some more pain relief, I'm on butrans patches, cocodemol and naproxen and lanzprozel at the moment and its not touching the pain!

thanks for reading :smile:

Comments

• Rictina
    Rictina Member Posts: 95
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    OMG I'm so sorry to hear that your still suffering. I would deffinatley go to your GP in the morning ! Cyber hugs to you *hugs* Xxx
    Live the dream not dream the life.

sfsf.jpg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I don't think you need to go to your GP. Steroid injections (and the shananigans around them) do take some while to settle. I have only had them in my knees and ankles (relatively small joints) but even then it could take three or four days for the pain to subside and for me to return to the usual pain levels (the anaesthetic-wearing-off pain is very different to the arthritis pain, in my experience). Hip joints are a) bigger and b) deeper-set, so no wonder it bloody hurts. Keep ahead of the pain as much as you can, ie keep yourself well topped up with pain relief, rest, rest, REST and REST and in due course it will all settle. There is no guarantee that the steroids will work, they are very temperamental, but you have to give them the best shot at it by doing nothing for a few days. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillypink
    Options
    thanks for the replys 8)

Had a better nights sleep last nite , so feeling loads better today and also my pain seems to be easing, fingers crossed :roll: x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Hi Tilly

I am so very glad things are settling for you.

To be honest my first one took me several days to get over though the second lot were easier. We have had people on here who have been in a lot of pain - one poor girl with her toe a while back.

Some other lucky people (best be you Rictina) get results over taht first night and months of pain free time :smile:

I will cross fingers for you

Love

toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh tillypink, that is good news. Keep resting, surely that will give the stuff its best chance to work and I think that is the only way to do it. I wish you well. DD
  • Rictina
    Rictina Member Posts: 95
    Options
    Hi Tilly

Great to hear that things are looking more positive, onwards & upwards hey sweetie. :smile:
    Live the dream not dream the life.

sfsf.jpg
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello tillypink, I hope things are easing more and more and that the steroid is beginning to have an effect. DD
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Morning Tilly.. Hope you are doing ok..
    Did they say if it was a slow release steroid that they used, I know mine was when I had my spine and knees done on the seventh, they said it could take a few weeks to with if it's going to.. No joy as yet but not giving up hope...

Best wishes
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tillypink
    Options
    Morning all 8)

Not sure which type of steriod injection it was as was so het up and nervous did't listen sorry!

But have got my Consultants on the 7th of Feb,so fingers crossed till then!

I can't believe the brusing is so bad though! I've gotten my partner to take photos of the area, but it looks like they tried a few times to do the injection so glad I was put out to sleep in the end!

thanks for ur replys , forgot how ur all so supportive on here, after not beening on here for a while :smile:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Tilly
    I am so glad you are feeling a little better, the thing with bruising is to use ice and not heat....I know you are cringing now.
    I hope you soon start to feel the benefit
    Barbara x.
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Tilly,

That wasn't the textbook jab at all.... I haven't had a hip done for ages but the neck and lumber have never bruised so not sure how well it was done......

(Toni have your hops ever bruised?)

I hope you had a decent night and its slowly working? i know the last one I had in the lumber was disappointing for a long time and then one day i realized it was actually helping I just hadn't noticed as its not the cure all it used to be :wink:

Hope it continues to settle and bruising... witch hazel helps flower. Leaving a ((( ))) and with luck you are on the mend. Cris x
  • tillypink
    Options
    Thanks Chris , its certainly been a hell of a week.... !

Pain still there, my mum still thinks I should go to the dr's to see about the pain, but I'm gonna hold out for a while and see how it goes! Any one would think I was a child not 33..lol. Bless she cares I know.

x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Tilly,

Hope the steroid hip jab starts showing signs of working really soon. :wink: I haven't has hips done but had lots in knees, wrists, elbows over the years. I've found effectiveness varies as does the rheummy skills at administering the jab.

It wouldn't do any harm to phone the doc or the rheummy dept to check that the pain and bruising is something that can be a result of having the hip done? ... and it would stop your mum, bless her, from worrying. :!:

Let us know how you are....

Iris xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Tilly,

I sort of think iris is right and so is your mum. it wouldn't hurt to talk at least with a phone appointment with your doc.

The bruising..... i know i don't bruise easily but even the big nerve blocks in my neck didn;t produce much bruising... mind they went into the myelin sheath and that's not got much blood in it.... I don't part with mine anyway :wink:

33 or my age (about 120 i think mentally :lol: ) you still have days when your a child. its the nature of long term conditions... flower they can get you down!

I so hope it will ease off and work well for you. ((( ))) and a anti-pain draft... they need beefing up a bit though sometimes :wink: Cris xx
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    Sorry Tilly, to be so late at posting , I had this last year mine was lucky that it worked first time , the fellow doing it told me that it is guided to the point it needs to go to , when he was finshed he asked what level my pain was now , before I had injection it was by 10 after it was 5 it lasted for a month , its a pity they wont give me another one . I hope you went to your gp and told him that it did not work.

all the best

Mike R & Hazel & Mike JR

and sorry for reading this at this late stage
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning tillypink, how are things today? I hope the steroid is beginning to have an effect, they can take a while to 'kick in' - it sounds as tho Mike was very lucky with his if he felt the benefit straight away. If it is still very sore then yes, contact someone, perhaps the hospital might be a better idea than the GP as GPs tend not to do these procedures. I wish you well. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Morning tilly
    just want to say I hope things are settling down now.
    take care
    juliepf x
  • tillypink
    Options
    morning all.. just dragged myself out of bed wiv my walking stick,feeling like a right old biddy at the min (sorry).

Have given in and just called the Dr's just a min ago,got an appointment at 1.20pm today! I can't cope with the pain anymore my butrans patch and other tabs not even touching the area, thinking I may have an infection now, hope not but dunno how else to explain the pain and bruising still!

Thanks for all your messages means a lot , my partners been great and my parents too, but sometimes its nice to hear other peoples thoughts who are going through or been through the same, so thanks again :wink:

xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    An infection is always a risk and they had a fair few goes at you, didn't they? The bruising will take a while to clear (it always does) but the pain should have eased by now. Does your hip feel hot, is there any swelling? I hope the GP can shed some light on this for you - if you can, let us know how you get on. Take care. DD

I posted that earlier this morning, it's now 2.35pm - I hope you have seen your doctor and that all is OK.
  • tillypink
    Options
    Back from the Dr's now, no infection she said ..but has told me to double up on my butrans 10microgram patch, so got 2 wackaday patches now lol. (partner calls them this) and Dr's given me Buprenorphine 200microgram sublingual tablets to take till the 2nd patch kicks in!

Hoping it works otherwise I'm getting a saw and cutting my leg/hip off can't cope with this much longer!

xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oddly enough, this is good news - it's NOT an infection! - which is a very good thing. The impression we get from the docs about these steroid jabs is that we have them and then within a few hours we will be running around like two year olds. It isn't like that, well not in my experience anyway. You underwent quite an ordeal last week, and it will take some time to recover, as you are finding out. I wish you well and I hope the improved pain dullers have a good effect. Thanks for letting us know how you are. DD
  • tillypink
    Options
    Morning all, just a quick update.. had the best sleep I've had in over a week last night 8) , pain is calming down thanks to new dose of tablets and extra patch kicking in, thank god!

Big thanks again to u all for all your support and keeping me sain this week, its been a bad and long week and one I don't want to repeat again :|

xx

Lisa (tillypink)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Yee-hah! It's getting better/wearing off/feeling more comfy whatever, that IS good news and I am pleased for you. Let's hope the steroid now starts to do its stuff. I wish you well. DD
  • Lilly_Savage
    Lilly_Savage Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with you how painful these injections into your hip are. My hip was bruised and swollen afterwards and took a couple of weeks before it started to settle down. I had 3 injections into my spine some years ago, i never felt anything really, and there was no bruising or swelling either.

Hope you're starting to feel some relief by now. Mine took a couple of weeks before i felt any improvement.

Everyone's different, some people may gain more benefit then others. However, i still think the injections are worth trying.

Take care of yourself
    Kindest Regards
    Lilly
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hi tillypink, how are things now? I hope they are better and that the steroid has begun to have an effect. DD