A soft bed matress ?

Options
Rictina
Rictina Member Posts: 95
edited 24. Jan 2011, 16:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone recommend a soft matress ? I have a memory foam one at the moment which is really hard & hurts my hip when I sleep on that side.

Any ideas ?
Live the dream not dream the life.

sfsf.jpg

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rictina,

Sorry can't help, I have a memory foam mattress topper and get on really well with it.

Any chance of you getting to a shop which sells beds and then you can try all their mattresses out to see which suits you the best. We're all different and what suits one person may not be right for you. Always try before you buy if you can.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    A softer mattress may well hurt your poorly hip more, and not do the rest of your body any favours. One of the many adjustments that has to be made includes altering sleeping positions. Lie on the opposite side to the poor hip and place a pillow, lengthways, from ankle to groin. This will support your upper leg, ease the pressure/strain on your hip and, hopefully, lead to better-quality sleep for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Rictina
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Rictina,

Sorry can't help, I have a memory foam mattress topper and get on really well with it.

Any chance of you getting to a shop which sells beds and then you can try all their mattresses out to see which suits you the best. We're all different and what suits one person may not be right for you. Always try before you buy if you can.

Yes your right I will have to go & spend some time in a bed shop & see which type is the best for me.

Thanks for the reply :smile: .

sfsf.jpg
  • Rictina
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    A softer mattress may well hurt your poorly hip more, and not do the rest of your body any favours. One of the many adjustments that has to be made includes altering sleeping positions. Lie on the opposite side to the poor hip and place a pillow, lengthways, from ankle to groin. This will support your upper leg, ease the pressure/strain on your hip and, hopefully, lead to better-quality sleep for you. DD

I guess I have been grasping at straws tbh ..I do use a pillow between my legs which is really good & helps me through the night.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

sfsf.jpg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The straws that surround us are many, varied and easy to seize. It's being able to tell which ones that are worth grabbing - that's the hard part! You could lie on the most expensive mattress in the world and your hip will still hurt. Take more pain dullers instead - not a perfect answer, I know, but it's probably the only thing that will make a difference. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,458
    Options
    Hi Rictina

I wish that the bed was the answer too :sad:

I tried out all the beds in teh shop myself and found one just right it was a stoopidly expensive one, but I ahve not regretted it. Also it is higher up than my old one was so I can get out easier :wink:

Good luck

Love

Toni xx
  • Rictina
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    The straws that surround us are many, varied and easy to seize. It's being able to tell which ones that are worth grabbing - that's the hard part! You could lie on the most expensive mattress in the world and your hip will still hurt. Take more pain dullers instead - not a perfect answer, I know, but it's probably the only thing that will make a difference. DD

lol @ straws

I'm at my limit with my meds, Im slowly building them up on the advise of my GP. I wish I could take another bucket full :lol:

sfsf.jpg
  • Rictina
    Options
    Hi Rictina

Have you considered a featherbed mattress topper? You can buy them on the high street now, but I got ours from QVC, the shopping channel. It is probably my "desert island" product, and I love it. You can put it on top of your memory foam, if you wish. You'll then have the best of both worlds - the support of the memory foam, but the gentle support and cushioning of a featherbed. And if you buy from QVC, you can try it for a month - if it's not for you, then you can return it.

Be warned though - they do make it REALLY difficult to get up in the morning (cos they're soooooo comfy) :grin:

Good luck,
    Lynn xx

Thanks for the info Lynn. :smile:

sfsf.jpg
  • need me bed
    need me bed Member Posts: 103
    Options
    Hiya

I have a memory foam mattress topper on top of my memory foam mattress, thats done the trick for me and my Arther...

Hope you find something that works for you as i find it's essential for me to get a good night sleep or i turn into a ratty annoyed monster!!

I also use nytol occasionally when i'm still wide awake at bed time

gentle hugs

NMB
    f055.gif

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.