Doggy Walkers ....

Options
sally bee
sally bee Member Posts: 19
edited 25. Jan 2011, 04:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have 4 dogs and was wondering how other doggy mummy and daddys get on with walks.

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi sallybee
    can't remember if we have met so just want to say hi.

Lucky you with four dogs, I would like one.
    Would have to have it strapped to my scooter though as I can' only walk only a few stps.
    Would love it for the company while OH is working. (would love it when oh was at home too :lol: )
    Have a good day
    give all your dogs a pat from me
    juliepf x
  • sally bee
    Options
    Hi to you Julie,

Perhaps you could get a teensy dog, like, a chiwowa (cant spell it but you know what I mean :) or a yorkshire terrier.

My dogs are: 2 king charles spaniels, 1 cocker spaniel and 1 jack russell cross. The jrc pulls a lot. I was wondering whether to buy a joggers dog lead. You strap it round your middle I think, that might work :grin:
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Morning Sally, don't have dogs, got two indoor cats, but was thinking you could get one of those sleds and get them to pull you along! Lol
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • sally bee
    Options
    Lol, yeah that would have been very handy when we had all that nasty snow :grin:
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    lol.. Certainly would..
    Hope you have a good day, catch you later..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    :lol: don't know what a joggers dog lead is but if it is tied around your waist i hope they all keep walking the same way otherwise you will be in a pickle :lol:
    good luck.
    have fun
    juliepf x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    we have 2 dogs and lucklily a big garden but when we do go for a walk i have the old boy as he goes at my pace and huddy has the youngster we use the halti collars as it gives us more control hope that helps
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • Dan
    Dan Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,
    I've got one dog, a border collie, which likes a lot of exercise. The amount it gets depends on how my arthritis is that day.
  • sally bee
    Options
    It's my hands and wrists the little perisher (Jack Russell) hurts the most with his pulling. The Spaniels tend to like to plod and sniff ... they sniff a lot!! lol. Thanks for replies guys :grin:
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,944
    Options
    Hi Sally.
    we have 2 mini dachshunds and we have 2 mobility scootas are dogs walk by the side of us and when they want
    to they jump on the scoota for a ride they love it.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    Options
    sally bee wrote:
    My dogs are: 2 king charles spaniels, :grin:

Hi Sally Bee!

I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a Golden Retriever - they are both so very soppy and loving. Although I don't walk them myself as I'm not really fit enough,so my parents do instead, but I do let them sit on my bed when I'm at home and I hear no complaints! They are just the best therapy when I'm feeling flat - they are never short of hugs for me! :mrgreen:
  • fayrose
    fayrose Member Posts: 241
    Options
    Hi SB, yes I also love walking the dogs but it does come at a cost. Hands, wrists, elbows,shoulders. :roll: I have a lab and a spaniel, both very lively and 'fun' loving (aka, bloody hooligans).
    They frequently drive me bananas, make me swear like a trooper and bawl like a fish-wife, but they are my reason to get up in the morning and I would not be without them for anything. :grin:

Good luck with yours, 4 sounds like big time hard work. :wink:
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hi

we have a rescue staffordshire bull terrier / collie cross who gave me great problems at first with pulling.

Because she was still young when we got her (she was about a year old then) we have solved much of the problem through training, and with the use of a halti collar.

At first I had two leads - one in each hand to spread the pull - and one attached to the halti, and one to the collar. Now I use the halti, and she knows it's a signal that she mustn't pull, and is fine. If I attach the lead to her collar she automatically pulls!

I find that I can't hold the ordinary type of leads as they tend to need a fair bit of grip all the time, so I use one of the flexi leads, even though most of the time it is in the locked position. I tried out lots before I found one that worked for my dodgy hands .... I think trial and error is the only way!

We have been lucky in that there are two of us to walk her, so I take her in the morning at my own speed (though the time of that walk depends on how early I am able to get up and about - but she doesn't seem to mind that) and then my hubby takes her on a faster walk in the evenings, and longer walks at weekends are usually his too!

In fact that's how my forum user name came about, as she had to learn two types of walking (which she did without any problem) - hubby has quick legs, she has littlelegs, and well .... to be honest mine are certainly wonky! :lol::lol::lol:

I haven't seen the type of leads you mention, but I guess they are the type they use for cani-cross (I'm sure that's not the right spelling, but it's cross country for dog owners and their dogs!) I would just be worried that I'd be pulled over .... but well I guess owners and dogs get used to them.

good luck!

WOnky
  • sunnyhours
    sunnyhours Member Posts: 151
    Options
    Hi Sally!
    If it's the pulling that hurts you you have to try a Halti collar...
  • sally bee
    Options
    I have seen a shock absorber dog lead online. It has a chunky, grippy handle. I think i'll order one and i'll let you all know if its any good :grin: