Nausea with MTX

Options
alarkra
alarkra Member Posts: 213
edited 25. Jan 2011, 10:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

I've been taking MTX for over 6 months now. I took my full dose yesterday lunchtime and felt the yuckness we all feel shortly afterwards once we have taken it. However, since mid-morning today I have been feeling really nauseas and have been physically sick - symtoms I've not had before the MTX.

So, my question is, what do you do to stop the nausea? I have tried taking the pink antiacid stomach stuff, but it's just made me feel worse... any suggestions will be gratefully received!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Is it the meth or is it a bug? Check your temperature, if it is slightly raised it could be a bug. If the nausea is meth-related it will pass, if it's a bug keep hydrated. You can ask your GP for an anti-emetic - I don't think anti-indigestion meds are relevant here, they won't help meth nausea. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Snap! I took mine on Friday and on Sunday I was feeling really rotten. I drank lots of boiled water and rested. Sometimes sucking a mint helps too. Breaks up the windy effect!! :oops: I slept most of the day and unusually for me right through the night.
    Feeling a bit better today so I hope it will pass for you too.
    Lv, Ix
  • buster152
    buster152 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    ive found taking mtx at night is much better i also take the folic acid 3 days later and ive found this way so much better i used to have really bad effects from it
  • jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    Options
    I had lots of problems with nausea on the MTX until i gave up dairy products, made a really big difference. Might not work for everyone and its quite a chore drinking soya milk to begin with but it really did help. On the plus side there are less calories in soya milk :grin:

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Can you get and antiemetic from your GP?

So sorry being and feeling sick is VILE!!!

LOve

Toni xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    in adition to the ideas already mentioned, I find that eating small amounts through the day helps to get rid of the worst of my nausea when I get it. Often the only thing I can face are dry cream crackers, but they do help me.

I have also tried eating crystallised ginger which has helped, and ginger herbal tea has helped too.

THere have been threads about this before which you might find using the search facility.

good luck!
    Wonky
  • need me bed
    need me bed Member Posts: 103
    Options
    I had the nausea thing with my MTX too, My mother (and fountain of all knowledge) told me ginger works well but i can't stand the stuff!! So maybe a ginger biccy or 2 mmight help?

gentle hugs

NMB
    f055.gif

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.
  • jacqmun
    jacqmun Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi alarkra :smile:
    Sorry to hear you're feeling so unwell :sad:
    I too was on injectable mtx, the nausea and various other side effects eventually led to the consultant taking me off of it.....it was referred to as the 'poison' injection in our house :eek: I absolutely dreaded Monday evenings knowing that right round to Thursday I would feel dreadful!!! :roll:
    Hope things settle down quickly for you!
    Best wishes
    Jacqui x
    When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello alarkra, how are things today? I hope they have eased and that you are feeling better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Alarka,

It is an awful side effect. I used to find I ate and ate to bury the nausea but it wasn't good enough.I had a spell where scrambled eggs on toast worked well but it wore off. I tried the MTX injections but they didn't make any difference so eventually I asked for anti sickness pills and they have worked. I haven't felt sick since early September. However due to a persistent cold I haven't been taking Methotrexate very often but when I did take it I took one pill day before, one on the day and one day after I have been fine apart from a little tiny bit quesy last MTX I took.It is better than what I have been through in the past.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for your hints and tips. Feeling a little better today, less nauseaous. I do think that when I got the flu at the end of December, it totally knocked me sideways and I'm struggling to recover (I got the flu jab back in Nov, but there are so many types of flu!). My RA is definitely progressively getting worse. Counting down the days until I see the man (Valentines Day)... :roll:
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi alarkra
    glad you feel a little better today
    when ever i feel yuk I have a ginger biscuit or suck extratrong mints,
    take care
    Juliepf x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi alarkra,

another SNAP!!I hate 25 with vengeance! :lol::lol:

I got anti-emetics 3x a day...... They are not exactly doing it but i have a predisposition to throwing up cus of the crohns so its asking a lot of any drug....

For me every increase has settled after a couple of weeks but 25 is the pits! :lol:

I really hope you will feel much better soon. A ((( ))) and a bucket of commiserationon is all I can think to do Crisis x