Living with Arthritis

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 31. Jan 2011, 03:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Mr DD and I are having a tetchy day today. As some of you may know my lovely little Micra has stopped working, she just won't start. My solution? Buy a new battery (I am certain that that is what is at fault, especially after such a hard winter) install said battery and if she still won't go then ring the garage.

Mr DD takes a different view. He has spent about an hour mucking about with jump leads etc, despite not being particularly technically minded, and still she won't go. He is now in a temper and has told me to ring the garage. I am saying no, get a battery and then ring the garage. We are battery buying at lunchtime (to fully demonstrate the depths of the masculine misery I quote 'I dunno where we'll get one from.' ) For crying out loud . . . .

I think that my arthritis has made me less inclined to mess about trying to fix a problem. I don't have the energy, perhaps not the physical ability, or the patience. I will happily start from scratch, go back to basics, the beginning, whatever. I won't muck about. Does he because he can? Do you find that you no longer waste time messing around with things, you cut straight to a solution? Right, I have to go and ask if I can use his car. Wish me luck. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good Luck DD :!:

I think you might need it :lol::lol:

Iris (who knows nothing about cars, only how to drive 'em :oops: )
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi DD,

Hey i am not a mechanical genius but do have a car and am always broke :wink: vet bills eh!!! anyway...

tell him to turn the key with the light on... if the lights go out you need a battery as like as not.

Does she try at all to turn? See could be the coil, starter and well any kind of electrics there are there......

If its really flat it wont jump through a totally dead battery..... but it might not be the battery......

Shall i shut up now?!

Hope you can get some kind of answer on her and she is soon back up and running.... ((((( ))))) and hope he and you will be less fraught.

Oh living with Arthritis.... I don't I just about survive it :lol::lol: Cris xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi DD
    Good luck with the battery buying, when it starts first time then you can say I told you... :lol::lol:
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh barbara12, if it does, I won't, no matter how great the temptation, I know it won't help matters! I will just sweetly smile and tell him what a clever man he was to think of doing just that. Flannel 'em, never fails.

I didn't think about the lights skezier, that's an idea but I think I'll leave it be now. When I turn the key the locks lock and unlock, very rapidly and repeatedly, and the radio comes on, but the engine won't turn. My old ZX did the same thing and a new battery cured that. I am hoping the same will apply.

I can understand the need to investigate and try to mend, but why bother when you are only going to get grumpy? Men are weird. Lovely, but odd. Fun, but peculiar. DD
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Poor DD , hope you are proved right and it is just a battery needed ; suggest you're not too smug and gloating if so as it may take a while for mr. DD to swallow his pride ! You are quite right though , I always look for the quickest and easiest solution to any problem - can't be doing with any messing about any more . Jillyb
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    do not have a car but yes find do not have the energy for messing about
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Go Daisy! Go Daisy! Go Daisy! :grin: Remove old battery, install new battery, turn key, engine fires. SIMPLES.

Even when he came back with the new battery I was informed that apparently some art-farsing about was still required: he was told, quite gently, to do the above three steps and the fourth would probably happen - life was too short, and his time too precious, for any more dithering.

I am a happy girl and will go for a blood test to celebrate. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi DD
    Hope you have the car fixed by now.

you just beat me to it. great news
    go girl go
    juliepf x :P
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Bliss! Utter, utter bliss! I pootled to Sainsbury's, pootled to the hospital, and pootled home the long way just because I could. I am a very happy DD now my beloved little car is back and working as she should. I bought Mr DD his favourite sort of pie for his dinner. He deserves it. Just. DD
  • jayneys
    jayneys Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi DD Well done DD ,sounds like you had an interesting day. JAYNE X
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi DD,
    Great news that Daisy is back to all systems go and fully charged. Lots of pootles coming on me thinks. :grin:

Now if they would do what they are told in the first place......Oh well, Mars and Venus as they say.

And Mr DD got fed and watered too. :lol::lol: What a girl.
    Double beeps from Jessicar.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Morning dd hope you are feeling quite well.
    You and daisy going out today?
    If so.....Have fun
    juliepf x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Glad the new battery was the solution and you are free to pootle about again. Am sure Mr DD appreciated his pie!!

In answer to your pondering, I think that arther does lower tolerance, patience and ability to tackle problems ... faffing about uses up too many precious spoons.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello DD,

I enjoyed this post.

Three months ago I suffered a "catastrophic illness" from which
    my rheumatology and gastric consultants say I have made a
    "remarkable recovery." During the six weeks since I was discharged
    from hospital my approach to life has changed.
    I no longer hesitate. If my condition calls for management it gets
    it. If I have to buy assistance I buy it. I use the social services and
    hospital clinics and get information from all sources.
    In reality I have probably always done this, but now I dont **** about
    I get on with it. As somebody once said = life isnt a rehearsal.
    When my car battery failed I called out the garage to deliver and fix
    a new one. Neither I nor MrsI are practical people.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello ichabod6, what a surprise to hear from you - it's a pleasant one, however. :smile: I am glad to hear that you have fully recovered and yes, I think you are right, we don't need the extra hassle of dithering and art-farsing about, do we? Get whatever it is fixed, asap, and hopefully at a reasonable cost. It's good to know you are making the full use of your hospital/social services etc because yes, life is too brief to muck about. It's not a case of us 'making a fuss', it's a case of using the resources which are there to assist.

I think I can say with absolute truth that my temper is definitely on a shorter fuse nowadays, and I am certain that that is entirely due to the arthritis, with (perhaps) a bit of aging thrown in! Take care, I hope you and Mrs I stay as well as you can. DD