using a buggy for a 4 year old with arthritis?

Options
leosmum
leosmum Member Posts: 9
edited 29. Jan 2011, 11:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have a 4 year old boy diagnosed 6 months ago- joints affected left knee and both ankles. after 6 months of steroids and a corticosteroid injection to the knee, he started on methotrexate about 8 weeks ago. we are told it could take up to 6 months before meds make him pain free but for now, his knee (infact entire leg) is very swollen and he cant walk very far at all. we have a 16month old daughter and have a pram which when we are out for walks our son ends up int he pram or being carried. Problem is he is 25kg (side effect of steroid use is some weight gain) and most prams are up to 20kg. We feel we need to use one for him if we go even for a short walk as he is in so much pain after a short time it becomes very limiting. we would prefer he can hop in and out of buggy if and when he needs to rather than curtail walks and trips out altogether. We are going on holiday end of feb and wanted to invest in a double buggy that would take a child up to age 5- any recommendations or suggestions of how anyone else has coped?

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am sorry your son is suffering so at such a young age. I cannot advise on a double buggy but if you post on the young persons forumththere will be parents in a similar position to you and they will be more able to help you.

Hope you all have a lovely holiday,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Just an idea, contact your local Red Cross branch - they lend out equipment and although it might not be a double buggy they might be able to lend you something like a wheelchair for your little boy. I hope that helps.
    Lu x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi leos mum
    I too am sorry to read of another little person with arthritis.
    I can't tell you anything about buggies but there are some travel wheelchairs out there that are when folded not much bigger than a buggie for a child. Could you perhaps hire one from a mobility shop.
    I know some do hire things out.
    Good luck anyway
    Have a lovely hol.
    Juliepf x
  • madgirlzzz
    madgirlzzz Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi
    Why don't you contact either your doctor, physiotherapist, OT or social services about this, If your child might need a buggy long term (fingers crossed not) you might be able to get some help through them getting one. They do do buggies for children with disabilities that might be suitable, dont see why you should be limited on what you can go do!
    goodluck!
    Gayle
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi,

no idea re double buggies - but if looking for a single buggy that is big enough I would recommend a "buggy major" they are used for children with special needs and tested to carry up to 50 kg. They fold like a regular buggy. As he has arther in his knees and ankles - ensure he has a footplate - might have to obtain it seperately. You might be able to get one via OT referral? If not just taken a look on a well known auction site - where there are couple very reasonably priced.

However, he might be better being assessed for a wheelchair - have you asked for a referral?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.