I love my hot water bottle!!!

Options
suzygirl
suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
edited 31. Jan 2011, 10:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am in a major flare at the moment, every joint inflamed and now I have chest pain and it hurts to breathe. I have a feeling it is chostochondritis again, but am waiting to get a docs appt to be sure. Once I have got past the dreaded docs receptionist that is!!! :shock:

In the meantime, the painkillers arent very effective, so am hugging my hot water bottle, which helps, and putting ice packs on my hands.

It just made me wonder what other peoples favourite remedy is when, nothing is working?? I would be lost without my hot water bottle. :grin:

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My electric blanket and wheatbags heated in the microwave. Bliss :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    When flaring it's endless cups of tea and the fan going full-blast (thanks to the pred and trammies sweating is a major problem) plus constant pain dullers. When not flaring it's endless cups of tea, the fan going full-blast and fewer pain dullers. It will pass, all things do. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    OH massaging my head takes my mind of aching joints but i have to stop him after a while dont want crop circles :smile: where he is rubbing thumbs too hard.
    Also a long soak.
    Juliepf x
  • BoleynBlue
    BoleynBlue Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Hot water bottle for me, I have about 5 of them.
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Interesting, I keep saying I am going to get an electric blanket, but haven't got round to it so far.

Been to docs this afternoon, I have a chest infection apparently!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, got any meds for it? I hope it starts to clear soon. Keep warm and hydrated. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Suzie,

get your self an electric oer blanket... best thing for pains in the spine and hips.

i also use hottles and they are both good and effective but in a flare.... i struggle to stay warm even though i feel i have a temperature.... I really hope your flare will soon leave you be and keep on with what ever helps you the best. Fingers crossed it soon goes away. Cris x
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    wheat bags..... lots of them and a big fluffy blanket every time
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    electric blanket and hotties, though you are not supposed to use them together I'm afraid I do :oops: I find wheat bags go cold too quickly.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    HI Suzygirl
    Hope you are feeling ok today and that the chest infection isn't causing you too much discomfort.
    Juliepf x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Thank you Julie, it is so cold at the moment, not good for any of us I am sure. Trying to keep warm and am waiting for the antibiotics to kick in.

Hope you are ok.
  • Maria510
    Maria510 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    hi everyone, i'm new on here but was interested in this post as i used my wheat bag all the time when my feet and ankles were really bad until my rheumy nurse told me i was making it worse applying heat. Was this right? and do you all use heat regardless? when painkillers don't help the wheat bag was what got me through the night and well if other people are doing it i definitely am. lol. Ice helped reduce swelling but does nothing for the pain. Maybe i'll be getting the wheat bag back out of the wardrobe. x :grin:
  • suzygirl
    Options
    I have never heard that heat makes it worse. I find the heat helps the aches, although some joints like my hands are better with ice. Until I am told otherwise I will carry on with my hot water bottle. It is the only thing that makes the pain bearable.

Will be interested to see what others say.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Wheatie bags and wrapping self up (this weather) in a sleeping bag.

Hope things start to ease for you soon.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • flossy46
    flossy46 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    My physio told me it is ok to use heat as long as the joint doesn't feel hot.
    Ice doesn't work for me as my pains seem to get worse when i get cold
  • katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Hi

Just want to agree that hot water bottles are the best thing ever! I've always got one near by in this horrible cold weather - just bought a little tiny hot water bottle which i use at work. my colleagues all laughed at first but now they keep pinching it every time I go out of the room.

hope you feel better soon.
    Katie