Getting nervous waiting.

Options
bobbyger
bobbyger Member Posts: 155
edited 29. Jan 2011, 12:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Only 3 weeks to go until my fusion. Pain is becoming unbearable at times now, the painkillers just do enough to take the edge off.
I am starting to get a bit nervous about the op, I have had a few arthroscopies in the past but nothing on this scale. Its just the thought of how much pain there will be and sitting around doing nothing for at least 12 weeks. Still I suppose it will be worth it in the end.
Not really looking forward to the 6 hour drive to my parents after the OP even though I'll probably be sleeping in the back seat with my foot up the whole journey (I'll be spending the first 2 weeks there as they live in a bungalow where I will have no stairs to negotiate and will have someone to help me where necessary as my wife cannot afford to take any time off work).

Hey Ho, at least something is happening now and hopefully it will sort me out. No more running and playing football but thats probably just as well as I'll just end up getting injured in some other way if I play again. Still be able to play golf after the recovery though :grin:

Rob

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh poor Rob, of course you are apprehensive, it's a big thing you are facing but it is to be hoped that it does the trick and that life (despite the initial inconveniences) will become more comfortable - hell boy, if you will be able to play golf again then that is no bad thing. OK, you may miss the running and the footy but even if healthy they would have to end at some point. Look at how fast the past twelve weeks have gone - it's not that long a spread of time. Will you be able to keep in touch with us here when at your parents? We are pretty good at the post-op cheering-on stuff. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    hi bobbyger
    I can understand you being nervous about the op but you sound as if you are pretty well organized.
    Hope any pain you have disappears and that you soon get used to doing things in a different way quickly.
    Take care
    juliepf x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi i would be nervous as well but just watched wayne sleep on he had hip replacement and back dancing you should see him move better than i could even when fit lol so stay strong all will be worth it val
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Bobby. You are very organised aren't you. So glad you will be staying in a bungalow and cared for by your parents. You have made me think about my situation. I think I will need to train my kids up a bit better so they can help more. I will be stuck upstairs. we only have two large rooms downstairs and it is all very open plan, might have to put a toilet in downstairs after all.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi also wanted to say it is getting very close now to your op,nerves are setting in, so just aim to think of the pain free days ahead. It is a shame the recovery is so long, hopefully the weather will be nice enough to sit out in the sunshine. :grin:

I wonder if you are having a General anaesthetic or local if you don't mind me asking?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Elizabeth,

General thank god, Dont know whether its going to be an arthroscopic fusion or an open one yet, Geuss I'll find out after I wake up after the fact.

Cheers and thanks to all for your words of support.

Rob
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Rob
    Gosh you are bound to be nervous, you are braver then me, I keep putting off my THR.
    I really wish you well, and its good that your parents will be looking after you.
    Just think about being pain free.
    Good Luck
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    just wanted to say best of luck with the op Rob..
    Hope it and the recovery both go well
    If it is possible keep us up to date.. :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Rob,

It is normal to be nervous. Don't focus on the op - focus on the end result and the point of the op - to be free from pain!!! If you get doubts, ask yourself if you can go on as you are or do you need to take action.

You will need lots of stops along the way on that long drive to move about and avoid DVTs.

Just think in less than a month you will be on the other side of the op and concentrating on rehab.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.