Chronic pain syndrome

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 28. Jan 2011, 10:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi now can anyone tell me what is chronic pain syndrome?, I ask because I went to see a neurologist today and she said that is what is causing some if not a lot of my pain symptoms, and like a twerp I didn’t ask all I should have while I was as there so much to take, I do know I am now going to have some blood tests the first in 3 years and that I am going to be given some kind of anti epilepsy drug to stop my pain regions in my brain from firing off so much.
So what does this mean for me in the long run? I already have cervical spondulosis and patella OA, I guess this could well be part of the reason I feel so tired these days but as I said what does this mean, is it classed as a true illness or just a problem with the mind?, is it serious or just another flippin problem to deal with???.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi mell,

hey good to bump into you! hope your doing ok except for this one?

As i understand it.... and have been told I got it as well..... its when you have long term acute pain you become so sick of it that you become oversensitive to it all and have even more pain.....

Mine is 'cured' by pregabalin really and the botox, the acupuncture and a clout around the head every other day :wink:

Its not nice and you can't seem to control or stop it its just nerve overload and well its a testament to how much your do hurt that you get it to the chronic pain syndrome level.....

What tablets are you ion now cus they might be able to change and hep you more?

Tis good to see you ad leaving you a sugar coated ((( ))) and hope your not too bad except for this one? Cris xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Mell,

Good to see you again. :grin:

Cris says it all really but I've Googled it too and put a link below for you to read.

http://www.chronicpainsyndrome.net/whats-chronic-pain-syndrome.html

Hope it helps. :smile:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi mellman
    don't know about your symptoms
    Just want to say I hope you feel a bit better today
    juliepf x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    mell this very interesting never knew any of that so sorry u are suffering like this but at least they are getting you sorted now (((hugs))) to see you through keep us informed to how it going good luck be kind to your self val
    val
  • mellman01
    Hi all well I had been Googling chronic pain recently and it states that those with it also have Cervical Spondylosis and what have I got?, the same dam thing had it for over 30 years ever since an RTA, the Doctor also asked me had I ever had any OP's or physical trauma, she said that will be what started it off all those years ago, I have had to put up with terrible neck arm neck **** pain for all that time and as she said the knee operation just finished me off, so what now I am still working but exhausted can't concentrate think etc, normally when I go home I go to bed as I am so bloody tired, will the tablets sort that out do you think??,
    On a personal note the thing is what about employment in the future?, this place is to close in a year or so and god knows what I can or will do then, this furking pain has robbed me of a new job with the company down in Pembrokeshire it's stolen all me dreams and nearly driven me to insanity but now all I can see is the pain fog being lifted to a light drizzle and then just being made to "carry on as best you can", talk about flogging a willing horse till it drops!, and worse it's made me look a weak fool in front of all those here on OP's and within the HR and managerial group, no one believed me and the insults and negativity were stunning honestly, I can't see HR backing off now and have sort of accepted my fate, the sharks a circling so why bother fighting ya going to get had so don't wasn't your time comes to mind!.
    So is this considered a sort of extra disability or do they just say tough?, does it mean if you have OA and then this you have a better chance of claiming DLA not that I think they will let me, I'll work if I can but looking around Britain is an employment waste land right now, hey just call me lucky!!.
    Sorry don't take this as a moan I am fine up top just tired right now I'll be OK just feel like the bugger in charge has put another hurdle in front of me and is laughing watching me scramble over it, boy if he does exist I've got some choice words for him I can tell you!!.

OH one last thing I am having blood tests on Monday, does this kind of thing show up in them??, I also asked for an RA test as I still haven't had one yet.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi Mell
    Its bloody awful being in constant pain, I wish I could help more, but I do know that a couple of anti epilepsy drugs are used to reduce the signals getting to the brain, have thay also mentioned fibromyalgia, this has the same symptoms more or less.
    I do hope you get some relief soon.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    Hi Barbara funny you should ask that, I e mailed the Fibromyalga UK people and they said some say it;'s the same thing, but normall with Fibro you get pain first then fatigue with C P it's the other way round, god knows where that puts me as I am in constant pain from either my neck or knees or both and get tired anytime, I like the bloody door muose from Alice in wonder land can't stay awake!, anyway got to go I feel all slee,,,,,,,Zzzzzzzzz!. :lol:
  • mellman01
    WHAT!, who said that!?.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    delboy wrote:
    WAKE UP!

There are rants to compose :lol:

LIKE it Del :lol:

I for one am glad mell that you having blood tests finally :smile: and have an explanation for a lot of whjat you experience :smile:

Love

Toni xx