Gas fire or electric fire - which is the better

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 29. Jan 2011, 17:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
Our gas fire has been deemed unsafe after we could smell gas.
When we replace it, which is the better option.
If we go down the gas route, we would have to buy the surround, fire, bottom bit to stand it on etc.
We've never had an electric one so I don't really know how much heat it gives off, and how expensive they are to run, but would be able to screw to the wall without doing the above.
What have you got, and are they any good.
By the way, the wind is freezing. ALANTHEMANC

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Morning alantheman

a couple of years ago I ditched the gas fire because I was fed up of having the thing serviced every year. I also wanted a whole new look.
    I paid a certain amount of money to a certain co every year for them just to take it off the wall and throw a flare in, run out side look up at the roof and put it back on the wall.
    I thought the money I saved from the service it would go to the cost of running it.
    I like my electric fire but only really have it on to warm the place up quickly, while the ch takes over, I used the gas fire in the same way, never for long periods of time, ie all day.I have always thought that running an electric fire is more expensive than gas but for the amount i use it it doesnt matter.
    Hope some one comes on and tells you how much they are to run I am interested as I have never worked it out (lazy) I know it would only be an estimate as all elec prices differ.
    Hope you decide soon
    juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have two gas fires and never use them. I prefer my halogen (electric heater), which has four settings. It can give a very effective blast of heat then be turned down to maintain a comfortable background level of warmth, whilst emitting a lovely, cheerful orangey-yellow light. It also oscillates, thus spreading its heat. I think they cost a few pence per hour to run. We use the halogen instead of central heating at those cross-over times when it's not quite cold enough to justify having the heating on, but not quite warm enough to have nothing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Julie
    D.D.
    Yeh, seems strange buying an electric one full of pebbles, but they look the part, even if I don;t know how much heat they throw out, or how much they cost to run.
    I bet there's not too much difference these days betreen gas or electric ( both extortionate).
    It was interesting thinking about servicing Julie, mmmmmm a lot to mull over price and wotnot. Alanthemanc
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ummm, Alan? I think you might need a comma between the words 'servicing' and 'julie', and perhaps even include the words 'gas fire' too, just to make your meaning really clear. :grin: Cor! Best laugh in ages! (I know she will be giggling too!) DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Alan
    I have gas and electric, I must say we get a lot more heat out the gas one, it might just be the elec one we have, it looks like a small log burner, it does look nice but like I said not has warm.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    D.D.
    Haha....... only you could make some kind of link between a gas fire, and, ............. Very good though, ever though about writing comedy, your very quick.
    Now what about my bl...dy fire. Alanthemanc
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Not me mate, not guilty! It just smacked me in the eye, so to speak, I'm still chortling!

Right, gas fires do need regular maintenance (hah! - avoided the word service) which can be expensive. Firstly, compare the cost of repair against replacement - and also the cost of replacement plus the other works you mention. I suspect repair will win that battle, assuming it can be repaired.

I don't know if electric fires have the same requirement as the only one I ever used was in a rented property and the landlord took care of such matters. Compare the cost of a new electric to the other figures, and see if you have a winner.

My halogen was half-price from Orgas, £17.50. Perhaps you could have a look on-line and see if they give any advice/information about running costs. DD

All heaters cost money to run - how much obviously depends on how much you use them.
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    i used to be on token meters in my last place, landlords rules and i used to use my electric heater as it was cheeper and the halogen ones are cheeper again but i prefered my one that looks like a wood burner it throws out loads of heat and i get a glow of flickering flames also. good luck im working out what is best for you.
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    D.D.
    Thanks for that comprehensive guide to heating. You seem to have a knack for guidance, ie, cars ( flat battery, how did you know ). seem like a handy woman to know . Very impressed.
    Coco. Thanks Alanmancunian
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hmmmmm - is there a very gentle hint of sarcasm? :grin: I shall decide not. Honestly, Alan, I just thought it through as the ideas hit. Mind you, you can service this old boiler any time you fancy! Hey-hey!

A woman walks into a bar and asks for a 'double entendre' so the barman gave her one.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    and they say the old ones are the best!? :shock: :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    D.D.
    Your a legend on here, and long may you reign. All good banter, sorry about Ipswich, I was rooting for them against that smug lot Arsenal, and then half way through, the fire went. Not my night. :| Alanthemanc
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words, and for your supporting the Tractor Boys, as I said to Noeltone they didn't do too badly for the first half, did they? That monumental effort tired them out tho for the second! Never mind, (whispers) it's only a game.

How typical of your fire to pack up just as the temperature drops. Honestly. :roll: You will just have to go for nice long drives in Carlos, with the heater going full-blast! :smile: DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Alan

poor you - you must be sooo cold :sad:

we have a gas fire which we never use ever. Neither of us can really light it :lol:

So we use teh central heating for the most art and I have an oil filled radiator and a halogen heater 9 a very good friend recommended it) which I LOVE. It is next to me as I type :grin:

Love

Toni xx
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Frog
    Thanks, trying to get a corgi gas fitter to do a job on the quiet.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Norty, norty boy. Bung us his name. please: it always comes down to who you know, not what you know. DD
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Options
    ohhhhh you are all so lucky to have gas,we live out in the sticks so are stuck with oil which at the moment is costing us £300-400 every 2-3 months and that does not even fill it up :eek: its outrageous! we also have a good old fashioned coal fire and we also use logs on it,looks cosy but actually not an awful lot of heat comes from it,

I want gas!!!!!!
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    WE have a wood/coal burner and central central heating. But i do remember having both gas and electric fires in the past. I always found the gas fire much warmer. As to cost i would think not much in it with the prices as they are but would be interested to know.
    Have found this site so you could work out the cost by looking at your unit cost. http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/energyrunningcosts
    (Don't think i am breaking the rules with this link...am i?????It is just for information of costs of running household equipment etc)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    No rules broken as it's for information and not a selling site.
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Moderator wrote:
    No rules broken as it's for information and not a selling site.

Phew that good to know...was not quite sure. Thankyou