Feeling weepy after ESA medical

Options
kickyloo
kickyloo Member Posts: 66
edited 8. Jun 2011, 04:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had my ESA medical on Tuesday morning (well, it was scheduled for 11.15am, but didn't get seen until 12.15). They did tell me they were running late and it would be about an hour later and offered to re-arrange for another date, but stupidly I said no I would wait. It was a 45 min drive and I had got lost on the way, I was so shaken from the journey I didn't want to have to go away and do it again another day. But I could've extended my ESA for another couple of weeks whilst waiting for a new appt time....never mind!
To be fair, the Dr was polite and it was fine, but I just feel that they don't understand. They kept asking about 'an average day' but I don't have this. My RA & chronic pain syndrome fluctuates from day to day. I never know how I'm going to be from one hour to the next. I just have to make the most of what I've got at any point - I'll try to keep the house up together because my husband works so hard to pay the bills, I feel it's the least I can do. I try to keep up with my art, because its something I love. BUT this doesn't mean I can hold down a job, I know, I had to leave my career that I worked so hard for. I was good at it. But I was so unreliable. I use all my energy on just living. I just know I'm going to be found fit for work. It makes me so sad, being judged this way, like I'm a liar or benefits cheat. Its hard enough coping with being ill without this battle. I will appeal though, even though its probably useless.
I know the medical is over and done with, I can't change it. But I just can't stop thinking about it. :cry:

Comments

• coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    These medicals are hell. ive had mine cancelled last minute 3 times so far and that plays hell as you work yourself ready for them and then nothing im dreading the actual medical when it does happen. from what i gather off her most people have to appeal, i know i will take up the fight if i have to but why the hell should we have to go through that, aint arther hard enogh to deal with. im so sorry your left feeling so low and it will play on your mind but stick with us all on here and we will get through it all together. hugs xxx

coco xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    I so agree that you shouldn't have to go through, what is no more than a grilling.
    Like you say you are trying your best to do what you can.
    I really do wish you well, and if they turn you down then you appeal till you get what you deserve
    Good Luck
    please let us know how you get on.
    Barbara x.
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Really hope you get the decision you deserve and not the one they're told to automatically give in my opinion... In the hope that people wont appeal.....
    If you do appeal there is a brilliant organisation that helped me yrs ago and a friend recently.. Not sure if they are nationwide but pm me for the details if you want them...

Best wishes..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi kickyloo

Sorry to see you were kept waiting so long and felt they were not really understanding your situation. I do hope you get a good result and don't have to go through the appeals procedure. Hang in there, I leave some gentle hugs ((( )))
    Chris
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi kickyloo
    Just want to send a hug((((((((())))))))and say try not to worry. Hard I know.
    I wish you luck.
    Juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Kicky

I do hope you are less anxious today. These mediaclas re so stressful. You wouldn't have been any better if you HAD put it off. It is done now and whatever will be is out of your hnads.

iF THE RESULT IS NO GOOD THEN YOU CAN AND YOU WILL APPEAL Sorry caps lock. You can get help with this, but maybe all will be fine.

I wish you luck too.

Love

toni xx
  • kickyloo
    kickyloo Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi all,
    Well you won't believe this, but I got the result letter today and I have GOT it!!! :eek:

This is such a huge weight off my mind. For once, something has gone right for me.

Thank you guys for all the support you've given me. I hope others get the result they deserve.

Much love and soft hugs,
    Nicky
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Hi,
    Congratulations - it must be such a relief for you

Cath
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Congratulations Nicky. I am so pleased for you and it is a big weight off your mind. I bet you had to read the result several times before it sunk in. We are all so used to being ignored and having to have lengthy battles to get any help so this news is encouraging for others going through the same thing.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hoorah! I am pleased for you, it's nice to hear some good news for a change. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh Kicky

I am so very very pleased for you.

see? all that worry and it all came out in the wash.

Lovely news

Love

Toni xx(hugs to you too)
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Woo Hoo

Good news at last..
    I'm really happy for you..
    A huge relief for you too..

Take care
    Tracy
    xxxxx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Kicky,

Well done for getting the right result!

Its not right they mess with you and upset you but at least they did do the right thing. Well done. Cris x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Kicky :grin:

I'm so pleased to see this, really hope it helps take a few little worries away.
    take care
    Chris
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    oh I am so thrilled for you Kicky, these ESA medicals are a trial and an unwelcome part of our battle to keep our heads above water. The aim is to use the computer programme that they have in front of them and try and score you as low as possible, meaning you would not qualify. Well, this proved them wrong, people ticking boxes and not understanding what our daily lives are like, how the pain and the fatigue, to mention two things, causes a great deal to what would be normal daily activities.
    It annoys me so much, people were very supportive when I was going through my trials and hoops with the DLA, but, I won as well, at least for another year, they obviously know that I will be better by next February, strange how my Drs don't share their opinion.

anyway, I am really pleased for you, it is nothing that you don't deserve and you are not cheating or defrauding the nation. Take lots of care, XXX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Bumped up for Tracy