bad day

salamander
salamander Member Posts: 1,906
edited 31. Jan 2011, 08:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
just having a moan.... got my Cimzia yesterday which needs to be stored in a fridge between 2-8C. Looked at it last night and the temp had gone up to 10C; adjusted the controls and looked this morning and it had gone down to 0C. Panic phone calls to Healthcare, who provide it, and my rheumy nurse. Got told to store it either at the pharmacy or gp surgery until I can get a fridge sorted out. Pharmacy refused, GP took it temporarily. Turns out I can have a drug fridge if the hospital requests one. So now I've got to see if I can get one but have work out first if there is anywhere to put it (I live in a flat with a tiny kitchen!)

Secondly, having a gate installed with a fob key cos my wrists are weak and swollen a lot. It was requested last March by OT and only going in today. After hours of drilling tried the gate out and discovered it's too heavy to open properly and it closes too quickly behind me so I can hardly get in quick enough. Long shouty phone conversation with contractors - this should have been sorted out months ago - who decided to disable it for the weekend. Useful huh?

Irony is, if the Cimzia works I won't need the gate - or will I?

Whole day spent trying to iron out problems caused by arthritis. Grrrr!

Comments

• stlucia
    stlucia Member Posts: 392
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You have all my sympathies....what a bum day. Arthritis is a ridiculous disease - causing all these problems that ironically take effort and energy and heave ho to sort out. I've got some Green and Blacks in my desk drawer if you want some? Sending it over.

xxxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think the Cimzia should be able to tolerate some fluctuations in temperature. Voltage varies, as does the temp in the fridge when it's more full or there is some room in it. I keep my humira on the middle shelf, towards the front, and the fridge thermometer sits on top. I check it from time to time, and adjust the temp of the fridge if necessary. I know they make a big deal of the storage temperature but I bet pharmacy fridges etc also fluctuate. As long as it is not frozen, or too hot, it should be fine. Don't put yourself under this pressure, salamander, you don't need it. As for the gate, could you wedge it, briefly, just to give you time to maneouvre thro? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Sal
    Bet you are worn out with all that....like DD says the temp is just a guide line...but they do worry you with it all....hope you have a better day tomorrow
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Sorry to hear that you have had such a rotten day. Makes you realise how such silly little things can make all the difference. I hope that things get sorted soon for you

Cath
  • salamander
    Thanks everyone, especially for the reassurance of the temperature and I'm sure you are right (and for the Green & Black St Lu!). However the temp control on the fridge is badly sited so I'm always knocking it and my fridge is often either frozen or warm. I will see if I can either get a new one or a drug one. The doctor's surgery can just hang on to it as far as I am concerned. :smile:

As per the gate, things have improved, they've eased it up a bit and are coming back on Monday to tweak it a bit more. It looks fabulous and it's great not to have any keys to turn so I should be celebrating really.

Realised when I was having a soak in the bath just now that my mood is a bit all over the place because I increased my steroids yesterday. Always makes me weep and wail! Had to eat humble pie and send an apology to the contractors, who are very nice actually!

I think part of the distress is knowing deep down this disease is not going away and the drugs and the gate are part that acceptance. Not making excuses but it's all a bit loaded really.
    Take care lovely peeps. So good to be chatting again.
    Sal xx
  • jacqmun
    jacqmun Member Posts: 65
    Hi Salamander :smile:
    Sorry to hear of your woes :sad:
    Jus wanted to say tho', that working in a medical environment, it is important to keep the drugs at the temperature specified!!
    Go for the fridge that they offered you, they normally have a digital display on them and they're not all that big, most sit nicely on a work surface :smile:
    Wishing you all the best
    Jacqui x
    When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars
  • salamander
    Thanks Jacqui, that's good to know. The gp's fridge was at 2C so at the bottom end of the scale. I've got the tiniest kitchen so no spare work surface but could fit it under my table in the hall. I think I'll talk to them on Monday.
    Sal x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Sally

Sorry to see this, arther does have alot to answer for some days.!! :x
    Hope you get the fridge problems sorted soon and have one less worry.
    The gate will hopefully be tweaked in your favour soon too.
    Hang in there, just wanted to call in and say I am thinking of you. ((( )))
    Chris
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    hi Sal, just popping in to give a bit of moral support, hope you are doing ok tonight.... Hope you can get that fridge soon, sounds ideal.

Best wishes, be well
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • salamander
    Thanks Chris and Tony! Nice to have a bit of support and am feeling much better today. Gate's working better than I had hoped, though a couple of flaws, it's not bad at all. Will get onto the nurse on Monday about the fridge. The more I think about it the more I want a special drug one. I can just relax and stop worrying then. Got my first injection on Monday too. Yikes :shock:
    Hope you are all well....?
    love S
  • tjt6768
    Hi Sal, will be with you in spirit monday, I do have a tendancy to forget things though so you will have to kick me up the bum and remind me, lol..
    Hope it goes ok, I am sure it will...
    I am at the back end of a day full of payback, but it is starting to ease finally so I think some sleep may be in order soon...

Catch you soon, take care..

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi sal
    What a day you had eh? no wonder you were feeling a little glum/frustrated.
    Glad though that the gate is fixed and it looks great and you atlast found somewhere for your meds. (could you not put some tape over temp dial so that you don't knock it?)
    Hope you get the fridge they can supply you with and good luck on monday with the injection.will be thinking of you
    enjoy the rest of the weekend
    juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Sal

Just popping in to say hello and I hope all is well today for you.

Silly silly gate and very very b=naughty fridge. Mine was doing taht too so i got a new one before christmas - coist a fair bit too as i left my spec on top of the fridges in c*rrys!! never got them back.....

Love and hugs

toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Morning salamander, I hope you and the gate have been better friends over the week-end and that your fridge has been behaving a little better. Good luck with the injection - is someone doing it for you or are you having a bash? Either way, I hope it goes well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    Hi Sal, hope today has gone well, not sure if it was a morning or afternoon appointment..

:grin::grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi sal
    Hope they have now been to fix the gate and that you have the fridge sorted
    juliepf x
  • salamander
    Hi Julie, Toni and DD,

Well, the gate is behaving itself quite well, a few blips but they are getting sorted out. Nurse is about to arrive to show me how to inject. The fridge is hopeless and I might get a drug one from the healthcare company. We'll see. Had to go and pick them up from doctor's surgery this morning! Could have left them outside over the weekend as it turns out!

I'm nervous as hell about taking the Cimzia. Hope it doesn't kill me!