Strange feeling in arm...

Options
lupin15
lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
edited 21. Mar 2011, 06:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
This is going to sound really odd but early evening my wrist suddenly started to hurt...could not hold anything. That lasted for about 1/2 hour and now i have an odd feeling in my lower arm and hand. It feels sort of numb. Now wondering whether i have knocked my elbow...have done this before but it just does not feel the same...even got pins and needles. If i have still have it on Monday will try and go and see the doctors. Has anyone else every hand this??? No pains in chest or headache. odd a little like me. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Comments

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sounds a bit like a nerve compression, either in the arm, or your cervical spine, do you have spondylosis Lupin? as that causes all manner of weird goings on with my arms and hands. Worth getting it checked out though. XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Sorry lupin can't help but I would suggest you get it checked out on monday if it is still bothering you.
    I get a tingly feeling some times but i have neck problem.
    Hope all is well
    take care
    juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Lupin

If you are genuinely worried about your heart then NHS direct asap.

Otherwise l tend to agree with the others - had simialr with my elbow nerve (is it ulna then Del??!!)

Love

toni xx
  • lupin15
    Options
    Thanks folks. Must admit my face feels a little odd....More the usual hahahah. Last night it felt a little numb....today feels a little like it but with a pins a needles faint feeling. I am just wondering whether i have caught a nerve in my back. If still like this tomorrow will make an appointment just to be on the safe side.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Please please do lupin.

Put your mind at rest wont it?

Love

toni xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    hi Lupes.. Sorry just seen this thread..please get it checked in the morning, if nothing else at least you will have piece of mind, us too.

Don't make me come over there and drag you to the docs woman, lol..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    Options
    You been to the docs yet Lupin?

Love

toni xx

nag nag nag nag :wink:
  • lupin15
    Options
    No but i am going to get down there tomorrow. They have two drop in clinics so will head for afternoon one unless.......hahahaah i can get one earlier. Not been to bad but really do not feel right. Could just be a virus or anything really even meds!!!! I have had a couple of difficulty weeks on and off with our young foster lad.....love him!!!! No he has had a crap start but is pushing it at the moment. So need to make sure i am as fit as a fiddle!!!! Odd saying. Will let you know how i go...
  • julie47
    Options
    hope all goes well at your appointment lupin and you get some sort of explanation
    take care
    juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Good luck Lupin

Sounds like you need your health at the mo.

Kids who are acting out will not have much consideration for your pain.

Love

toni xx

Waiting for the answer!! :wink:
  • lupin15
    Options
    Ok been to doctors and had a check over....Because of my history she wants me to go for tests. Said she would take advise and phone me at home. The symptoms i have could be to do with my arthur including my face numbness and pins and needles but the way they have presented themselves is not quite correct. Must admit i did not realise that my neck hurt when i turned it to the right...how could i not have noticed......just says everything really. Because of my history of cancer and the fact i had it in the neck last time she feels this needs to be investigated sooner rather than later .So rather than refer me back to my oncol she is short cutting the process. I am now waiting for an appointing for a MRI o my neck and brain......Could be there some time if they are looking for my brain, should to scanning my ****.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Should get an appointment through in the next few days. Bless her i think she was more in a flap than me. I did not realise that arthur could cause so many problems....live and learn. Now the wait...tum de tum...tic tic.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's good that you have seen someone - the problem many of us face is that when another thing starts to hurt or cause problems we tend to push it to one side - being used to twinges and pangs and soreness we just add it to the coping list. Dangerous habit, yes? Good for you for being seen and let's hope the appointment comes thro soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • puffin
    puffin Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi Lupin,
    Sorry to hear you have had such an episode. Good job you got an appointment. Hope you will be fast tracked at hospital and get results and treatment quickly. Hope too you have back-up re.care of your son.
    Do rest up!
    Puffin
  • lupin15
    Options
    puffin wrote:
    Hi Lupin,
    Sorry to hear you have had such an episode. Good job you got an appointment. Hope you will be fast tracked at hospital and get results and treatment quickly. Hope too you have back-up re.care of your son.
    Do rest up!
    Puffin

Hubby is the main carer (the wee main is a foster moster... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: only sometimes) but we have a great support network and if necessary he can either go to after school clubs or respite carer.
    Hope fully it will not take to long...i am sure it is only arthur...the little bugger giving me a run for my money. Never had an MRI scan done...supose to be very noisy I HEAR!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • lupin15
    Options
    Had appointment through for MRI scan at James Cook for 16th March. Just hope that this none cough thing has gone by then... asthma i think. Will make an appointing with the nurse to try and get it sorted before the scan.
    So i should think by the end of march i should know what is going on....
    Just in time for the end of the financial year.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • lupin15
    Options
    Well scan on Wednesday...the stress part of it will be trying to park at James Cook. Then Thursday appointment for my 6 monthly MOT for breast cancer...Grrrr talk about bad timing having two appointments in one week.
    Not looking forward to the head and neck scan but i am sure it will not take long. Taking codeine before hand as i am just getting over a cough and have asthma (greedy arn't i :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: )
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Hi Lupin

Hope things go ok with your MRI scan on Wednesday. They are a bit noisy (i had one on 2nd Feb) but they do give you ear plugs to put in to reduce the noise. Make sure that you wear as little metal as possible and take off any jewellery before you go. I managed to wear trousers with elasticated waist, and a top that was supportive but didnt have any metal in it. If you dont you may have the pleasure of the hospital gown p030.gif

It takes about 30 mins to 90mins depending on what they are scanning but they do talk to you all the time.

If you are in anyway claustrophobic see if you can get something to relax you because it is a very small space (my hand didnt fit between my nose and the ceiling of the scanner).

I hope this has helped and not caused you any concern. The people who done my scan were really helpful and caring so I am sure that you will be fine.
    Jakib0644.gif
  • lupin15
    Options
    rugbygirl wrote:
    Hi Lupin

Hope things go ok with your MRI scan on Wednesday. They are a bit noisy (i had one on 2nd Feb) but they do give you ear plugs to put in to reduce the noise. Make sure that you wear as little metal as possible and take off any jewellery before you go. I managed to wear trousers with elasticated waist, and a top that was supportive but didnt have any metal in it. If you dont you may have the pleasure of the hospital gown p030.gif

It takes about 30 mins to 90mins depending on what they are scanning but they do talk to you all the time.

If you are in anyway claustrophobic see if you can get something to relax you because it is a very small space (my hand didnt fit between my nose and the ceiling of the scanner).

I hope this has helped and not caused you any concern. The people who done my scan were really helpful and caring so I am sure that you will be fine.

can i be nosey and ask how much of the body they did..i had got it into my head it would only be 15mins...not sure where i got that idea from really.
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    hi Lupin I have sero neg and OA in all of my joints but also suffer from spondelothesis in my spine nad SMA spinam muscular atrophy in which my right arm and leg and now neck suffer with dying off nerves classic pins and needles and then numbness that stays it does not get better along with my other problems it can make my day very hard to cope with gabapentine helps with nerve pain but the strength in my arm and leg suffers terribly, having had many Mris spinal neck and brain it showed white patches in my brain which can be due to my age ( 50) but can also be signs of MS it was either that or SMA,
    I hope you find good news and its a temporary nerve problem , live one day at a time, its the only way I can cope with constant pain, good luck michellex
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The length of time one is in the scanner depends on how many different angles/shots they need of the area. My longest one for my left knee was about 30 minutes, and that was made up of five five-minute scans and a little extra. My feet got cold - I remember that quite clearly. The machine makes a different sound for each scan and yes - IT IS NOISY IN THERE! I had headphones (no music) and an alarm button - they do talk to you at regular intervals and they can see you. I like having them - it's a chance to lie back for a while and do absolutely nothing. Bliss. DD
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Lupin

I was in about 20 minutes for my back and my head was in there with me! It is very loud BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!!!! when they take each series of photos.

I AM Claustrophobic so shut my eyes and did not open them till i was OUT!! I also counted the songs on the radio...three minutes a song - that's about 7 songs.

Also my 15 yrd old daighter had one very recently on her brain and she just did it!!! AMAZING girl :grin:

Will be thinking of you

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    Options
    Hi lupin

I have had 3 mri scans....1 took 40 mins , that was on my leg before the amptation,

2nd took 20 mins on my stump last year (probabbly less time as there was less leg eh? :lol:)

3rd took 20 mins for my neck and like toni I kept my eyes shut all the time. I also listened to their radio when you could hear it, and the time seemed to fly by. Yes they are VERY NOISEY.

Take care......will be in your pocket
    Juliepf x
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    lupin15 wrote:
    can i be nosey and ask how much of the body they did..i had got it into my head it would only be 15mins...not sure where i got that idea from really.

I had my spine done but it only took 30 mins. The timings I was given was by my hospital.
    Jakib0644.gif
  • lupin15
    Options
    Good news MRI scan clear of cancer .....did show OA and will get more details of that in a couple of weeks. Hand pains and problems would appear to be bilateral Carpal Tunnel Syndrome...what ever that is. Was so relieved that i did not bother to ask about it. Apparently my meds can cause this. I thought that i was just getting old and weak early...
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good news indeed on the cancer front - I am very pleased to hear that indeed. As for the carpal tunnel - isn't it to do with the narrowing of the nerve channels in the hands? (Don't take that as gospel, I am not a doc.) Bi-lateral means both sides (I think) - are both hands affected? I hope they can do summat to help with that. DD