Horizon Documentary on Pain

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 2. Feb 2011, 16:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
Tomorrow night on BBC2 (at 9pm) Horizon is all about pain, the whys and the hows and the treatments thereof. As one or two us do experience this phenomenon on an occasional basis I thought this might be of interest. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    thanks will record it
    val
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Right DD will also record it!.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Thanks DD will record it directly :grin:

Love

toni xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up , DD , will check to see if there is footie on or not on monday evening and decide whether to watch or record . Hubby's football has to take precedence as he spends his time looking after me . Jillyb
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thanks DD for sharing this....can imagine its going to be of some interest ..
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Thanks dd
    will drop in on bbc2 tomorrow.
    (wondered why it wasn't on this minute it isn't tomorrow yet) :lol:

juliepf x
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I've just watched the programme, and it was very interesting. Pain is such a complicated subject, but the research going on is hopeful for new treatments in the future.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Makes you think though how dangerous NOT TO FEEL PAIN never thought of it like that before ....every cloud ... :smile::smile: Tinkerbelle.

I wouldn't mind it for the odd half hour though, would you :?:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    One of the largest groups of people who suffer long-term chronic pain, i.e arthritis sufferers, were not represented or even referred to.

One of the people taking part had suffered chronic pain for five years. How many regular posters on here have suffered for a lot longer? So, a message to AC's PR people, they don't beat a path to your door! Get online and register an interest with all the production companies that you can find. Email Sky, BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five for their lists. Send an individual email to each, it's free and its now 2011.
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    livinglegend, they couldn't address everyone, the programme was only an hour long! We know about pain, true, but for a general, over-all view of the subject they didn't do too bad a job. Our pain problems are, perhaps, in a different league to those they showed - ours will never end as the cause never goes. I never knew there was a specific gene responsible for pain perception, I thought more could have been explained about individual tolerances to pain (assuming they know why some handle pain better than others, not everyone with a low pain threshold is/was premature). I wonder if they wil do a follow-up on Rebecca? Her tears as her pain 'left' were very moving, but did it stay gone? I guess we will never know. DD
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    livinglegend, they couldn't address everyone, the programme was only an hour long! DD
    I do appreciate that all people in pain could not be addressed, it was just a handy hook to hang a grumble on.
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Not like you to grumble Joseph - I hope all is as well as it can be and if not, I hope it all sorts itself out pronto (well, as much as it can!) DD
  • fayrose
    fayrose Member Posts: 241
    Options
    I did feel that they seemed to be implying in some cases of 'chronic pain' that there is no actual physical cause, or the original damage had healed but the pain remained.
    Particularly the young girl who had been born prematurely and to a certain extent Rebecca - described as having fully recovered from a stroke - the implication being there was no real organic reason.

Arthritis and many other permanent painful conditions have a very real physical cause as we all know only too well. :roll:
    Would the treatment be the same if there is acknowledged physical damage I wonder?
  • mellman01
    Options
    Joseph was spot on, they went slightly fringe to gain ratings and left out the bloody majority who have chroinc long term probelms, tell you what I for one am going to e mail to put that point over so why don't you all join me?,

Come on walk like and Egyption and lets get out there!, well at least into cyber space!, if ya don't do anything then they a)wont know you were even there and b) you might just get their attention if enough of us kick cyber bottom!.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I've still to watch it yet.... I have suffered constant pain for the past 29yrs in one joint or another.... Will watch it tonight.. CAn't concentrate right now, funnily enough...... BECAUSE MI KNEES HURT!! Lol
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They defined Rebecca as fully recovered - so why the stick, and why the pain if she still had 'loss of feeling' on the left side? (I am sure they said that, will watch again to check!) They didn't show her walking that much, I think perhaps they meant fully recovered inasmuch as her face was OK as was her speech - that ain't 'fullly' in my book. DD
  • mellman01
    Options
    Not sure DD I thought they said it only lasts for a while and doesn't last for ever, they could have meant she was cured for the time being hence the stick!.
    Pitty they missed all of us lot I did e mail the program pointing this out but I bet bugger all comes from it!.
  • need me bed
    need me bed Member Posts: 103
    Options
    I recorded it to watch when I got in from work... but as per usual i nodded off half way through, dunno whether i was tired or bored.... I enjoyed what i did manage to keep 1 eye open for and it was ok... nothing miraculous as yet to rid us of the EVIL :evil unless u want that thingymajigger dooberywotsit blastin at ur bonce!! Yes i know it was a 1 hour programme but i was hoping for something more in the help to relieve the pain many of us suffer on a daily basis but i guess that wasnt to be... im just gettin sick to death of plying myself with more and more painkillers... and they won't let my buy illicit drugs either.... :oops: what is a girl to do, you wanna put ypour best face on to brave the world, but, i can't always lift my arms high enough...

am maybe thinking i could buy a mask or summat??

Hope they do a follow up though on the lassie at the end who got the relief she so craved....

xxxxxxx
    f055.gif

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I am halfway through watching it at the minute on iplayer, I dunno what I think yet, I am having to stop watching because I just cannot concentrate again, yep.. bloody pain and discomfort... :roll:
    Tell you what though, if that virtual game works as well as it did for the lad with the burns, bring on the snowballs and penguins, lol..

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    got around to watching it a lot of us on here already play games when the pain is at its worse to distract our selves from it and we not educated at all but do know if you give mind something else to fill it pain lessened it nearly always the middle of the night when pain feels at its worse no stimulation just a long boaring night that when fb games come into there own or a good book what ever works for you val
    val