Big Society

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 3. Feb 2011, 12:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
Too often 'giving control to local neighbourhood groups' means withdrawing funds. So much for the Big Society :shock: I think that in some ways it's a convienient way for the government to wash it's hands of responsibility for minority groups.

Mr Cameron and the other architects of the concept represent relatively affluent constituencies, in rural areas, where there is a settled population and plenty of fit and active retired people with time on their hands for volunteering. It is a very different story in the inner cities, where the coalition's cuts are likely to hit the hardest - and where people often lack the confidence, or the spare time, to take over services.
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    With the loss of £100 million in grants, it's understandable why Liverpool no longer feels it can support the Big Society.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Sadly this lot are just like the last one’s not interested on what happens outside of the M25 they come up with catch phrases which are designed to cover up their real intentions is cut everything even if it means throwing logic to the four winds, dare I need to remind you of the Harrier jets and the carrier they binned to purchase two new ones one which wont be used and the other wont have any planes for over 10 years.
    Anyone who can also scrap 4 brands knew Nimrods that cost us £4 billion isn’t rowing with both his ores in the water and should be inside secure accommodation for a long time.
    So the only one who will get any benefit will be those non indigenous or 2nd or 3rd generation minorities in the fast growing ghettos of London and Manchester and as it’s always been the true indigenous minorities ie those that don’t have a voice these days but who are getting and having to deal with trying to live with a lot less than the inner city people as always will be the ones who get stiffed, they know the rural people really are the worst off within the greater society but what do they we get?, sweet f a as normal, we should go around rioting and stabbing each other then help would flood in.
    Oh and lastly just for once I’d love to see Wogan and his ilk have just one night of charity fundraising for the old ill and desperate of this country and not half the worlds kids,sorry I know it’s a good thing and helps kids here as well but Wogan get £11k for the night, and if I see Bono wearing one more bloody aids ribbon I’ll scream, why not an OA/RA ribbon just for bloody once ya thick Mick, and take those stupid sunglasses off you’re a middle aged mad so go wid da flow man!.Oh and tell Geldof to have a shave and at least one bath a year as he looks like a bloody tramp!.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    well said Rkid..... It is about time folks like us were considered when doing all this fundraising malarkey on tv.. It's not as good a story though is it Mell? Little mugabe walking four miles a day to get water sells more papers than say, a new treatment centre for us arthur sufferers... Don't get me wrong, I hate to think of kids suffering anywhere..... But..... instead of walking four bloody miles each day for water, why don't they just move nearer to the water?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :???: :???:
    Besides, most of these countries could actually be very rich if they weren't run by corrupt despots....
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP