Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Computer games ease pain

stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 26,000 ✭✭✭
edited 31. Jan 2011, 10:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
I’ve only just read this on the BBC News website (On right. 2nd down in ‘Features & Analysis’, the ‘Escape from Pain’ article) but it seems they’ve devised a specific computer game in Seattle to help burns patients cope with severe pain.

It says ‘The aim of the game is "to make a very attention grabbing experience for the patient and basically to give them a place to escape from their pain"’

This does ring a bell with me as I found, after my last knee replacement, that I could get away with far fewer painkillers just by immersing myself in free online computer games (I never normally use them) which kept my mind focused even when I couldn’t get about much or concentrate on books.

I pass it on in the hope it might help.
“There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken

Comments

• traluvietraluvie Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I do try and occupy my mind when i'm in alot of pain..

If it's in my hands i struggle to find something to occupy myself without using my hands...

If it's somewhere else though i tend to play online games such as scrabble.. get my mind thinking of something else...

It's all about refocusing your attention... i think??? :???:
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's distraction, pure and simple, and games will probably be more involving than trying to watch the telly or reading a book. I wonder if that will be mentioned on the documentary tonight? They mentioned new research on the blurb somewhere, I think (concentration span shot to bits at the mo, I think my name is Daisy but I hae me doots!) I might give 'em a go, stickywicket, I have yet to try one! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben