Empathy to all. New to the forum

Options
Hils
Hils Member Posts: 24
I so empathise with all of you struggling at work. I have lived with Palindronic Rhematoid Arthritis for 10 years. I have always tried to work but struggle to hold a job. I have just had a medical assessment as requested by my employers. Remission has been perfectly non existant for the last year. I have just started on a new drug regime. my employers don't seem to understand that i cannot tell them how long it will take for remission to kick in again. How long is a piece of string? I have to attend a meeting with HR and my line manager next week. They are keeping their cards close to their chests. Will i be helped to return to work or will i say good bye to my job which i love? Occ health have been very supportive but the ball is now in the employers court.

I have just registered with Access to work in the hope i can return to work in the near future. They say i have to have a date to return to work within a 6 week margin.

Can anyone tell me if they were able to have any one to support them in their meetings with their managers? Not sure what i can reasonably expect.

Stressful times but trying to keep positive....

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome.
    Like you I am currently waiting to see what is to happen re my employment, my GP has requested that when I return I do a phased return and reduce my hours. I had a meeting with my manager last week and she is non too happy regarding this and has gone away to "get advice". This is my third period of sickness in 6 months.
    Problem is I have OA/spondylosis my in my back, neck and shoulders OA in my wrist and some fingers and have just been told that I may have it in my hip and knees too.I cannot predict the flares and obviously it is a degenerative condition so is just getting worse.
    You are usually allowed to take a friend colleague or union rep to meetings with you for support if they say no ask why not. (they may not be allowed to speak for you, but you should be able to speak with them before you answer any questions )
    Good luck anyway

Cath
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Like Cath i am currently attending meetings at work..
    I have been off since sep and like most have gd and bad days so can not predict if and when i will be able to return to work with full duties..
    Occy health have been very supportive and say i am not fit for work at the moment, am due to see them again wed..
    I have support from my union rep when i attend meetings or any questions i just ask him.. Like cath said you are entitled take someone with you for support and who can speak for you if need be..
    Don't be bullied or feel like you are being pushed out.. you have rights too and maybe they can make adjustments to suit you.. unfortunately theyy can't do that with my job...
    Keep me posted any questions feel free to ask.
    Take care
    Tracy
    xxxx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Officially resigned from my job today. Some might say what a reckless decision. I am not materialistic and don't mind going without. Already i feel like a weight has lifted. As the big grey cloud that was hovering over me drifts away, i feel physical and mental relief. I may return to paid work one day but for now i am caring for me. :grin:
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    That must have been a tough decision you made..
    Like you say though you need to look after yourself..
    Maybe the time off without the added stress will give you time to get a bit better and maybe return to work in the future..
    Glad you are feeling bettre for it..
    Keep us posted how you are..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Hi Hils
    You must have a great sense of relief. And no I don't think you are reckless, You have to do what is right for you and the most important thing is that you take action to protect and promote your own health needs both physical and emotional.

I am still in the dark in relation to my own employment - I had a meeting with my manager on 26th Jan aftermy GP said I may be able to return on a phased basis and with reduce hours - after my manager had a temper tantrum she said she would need to seek advice and would get back to me - I am back at the Drs Wed, so it looks I am going to have to ring her tomorrow to see what the score is.

Anyway well done on making this massive decision and you know that we are always here
    Cath
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Hills,
    Well Done! I gave notice and effectively shut down my childminding business 2 weeks ago. My PA is rampant and I'm about to start Humira alongside methotrexate and sulfasalazine, and I'd had enough of trying to be super human and do a job a healthy person would struggle with, let alone someone with PA. When you do make that decision you know it's the right one, It is like you said a weight being lifted. Well done again, concentrate on getting yourself as well as you can be, then you can decide what you want to do at a later stage.
    All the best Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • bumache
    bumache Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Hils, and welcome to the forum. I'm newish here myself, and its comforting to know the others on here understand and give hugs when needed. I'm so pleased you have taken the decision about working. It will give you time to recuperate and take stock. I too can survive on very little - I think I spent £2.40 on car parks last week! I did eat by the way, but thats a different budget. My £10 spending money is lasting well. Anyway I just wanted to wish you all the best and hope things settle down and improve for you x