Hair Loss on Methotrexate

Options
monica1
monica1 Member Posts: 2
Hi all
New member here.I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been on Merthotrexate for about one year and I have suffered severe hair loss. I am 65 yrs old. Was wondering if anyone else has had this side effect and will it ever improve ? I am on half a dose now but still seem to be losing hair. Has anyone else had the same problem? Thanks.

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Monica,
    Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear that you have RA and have suffered this unpleasant side effect. I have OA/spondylosis and so dont take Meth, However lots of people here do and I am sure that someone will be along shortly who has a better understanding than I do.
    I have recently joined and have found such wonderful new on-line friends they are so supportive and helpful and we dont just talk about our ills we have giggles as well in a type of fantasy world - its great fun
    I hope you can join us in posts the main Links are Living with Arthritis and the chit chat
    As I said before welcome on board and I hope that you are as well as you can be
    Cath
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi Monica,When I started MTX last year I was losing a lot of hair especially when washing it.I mentioned it to my rheumy nurse and she suggested I increased my Folic Acid.I take MTX on a Sat. then take one Folic Acid on Mon. Tues. Wed. and Thurs. and it has definately helped,I hardly get any hair loss now.So it might be worth asking your rheumy nurse if you can increase your Folic. Breane.x
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Monica, i had the same problem when i was taking methotrexate tablets and the rheumy nurse also told me to increase the folic acid to 3 times a week.
    I am now on injected mtho but still take the folic acid 3 times a week.
    my hair comes out a little more than usual when i wash it but nothing that anyone else would notice.
    I would have a word with your rheumy nurse.
    hope it all works out for you.

Tracey
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Monica,

Welcome from me as well. Tis a good place and as Cath said the main links are lw and cc forums.

Been on mtx about a year and sulfa a year before that and have had a huge amount of hair thinning.. to me its very obvious especially in bright lights or sunlight. They upped the folic acid from 10 ml once a week to 10 ml 5 days a week and maybe its helped.

I am aging badly and early so i kinda think some of mine is age related maybe but the mtx is in the frame to say the least. The folic acid might be helping I really don't know but I take it anyway :wink:

Hope you can find an answer and will watching to see cus mine is to me so obvious... though I haven't got a shred of vanity in me i should rather have hair :wink: nice to meet you, Cris x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Hi Monica

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your posting.

The information we have on the side effects of methotrexate can be found under ‘What are the possible risks or side-effects?’ in the following factsheet entitled ‘Methotrexate’. See http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_drugs__medication/methotrexate.aspx.

It also mentions that ‘Most doctors prescribe folic acid tablets to patients who are taking methotrexate as this can reduce the likelihood of side-effects. It is often recommended that folic acid should be taken once a week only; some doctors advise that it should not be taken on the same day as methotrexate’.

I hope this helps.

Please ring our helplines on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat, or need more information.

Regards

Nick

Helplines Team
  • jackstevens
    jackstevens Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I quit MTX for that reason. Hair loss in a male of my age is usually normal, but this only started happening after taking methotrexate. I'm going to the doctor in 2 weeks to find an alternative...