local branch meetings query

chris7
chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but can you advise on local AC branch meetings and do I have to be a annual subcriber to attend these? I have not yet joined as finances are stretched. :oops:

I have been looking on contact details and found that one group meets near me on a monthly basis. However this would involve two bus journeys to get there and I am not sure I would feel up to it in an evening unless it had some practical relevance for me rather than just a coffee and a chat. (though I accept they are good too :grin: )

Living on my own with no family near I am feeling increasingly isolated with all this. Though my forum friends and the support here has been a godsend. Can you offer any suggestions or general advise as to what these meetings entail? I am 50, have had OA for 8 years ish and still work part time (at a struggle) Forgive the ageist referance, sincerely not meant to offend but would I be welcome at such meetings? I regret I am very wary as I joined a support group of a totally different nature some years ago and eventually felt I had to leave because I had almost by default been bulldozed into running it, which for me kinda defeated the object!! I really am not ready for that again. :???:

Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Chris,

Thank you for your interest in joining our meeting/support groups, you do not have to be a member to attend these.

I appreciate that there may be difficulties in transport and you’re a little weary after your last support group experience, but our groups vary widely in what they can offer in regards to transport and who will be attending, according to region. To find out what is available in your area follow this link, and contact the regional office number to find out more.
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/InyourArea

Best Wishes
    Adele
  • chris7
    many thanks Adele and del

I used the link and emailed my regional office yesterday. Wasn't quite brave enough to phone :oops:

Anyway I got a reply very quicky today and she been very helpful. :grin: It seems our local meeting does have a subsidised and direct bus service which is available to members of AC. The community little red bus which sounds something like the Dial a ride, so thanks for that del. She is assuming I can join AC at the reduced rate but I am not sure if I can as I do not claim any benefits. I do (at the moment but who knows for how much longer get working tax credits! ) because I only work 30 hours and my income is so low. Does anyone know if this qualifies me for the concessionary sub.? Sorry this sounds niggardly but I have just had to pay for 4 prescriptions, it never ends! Getting them every 2 months it just about works out cheaper than a pre pay thingy but not by much.

Anyway sorry I am rambling here but many thanks. She has also sent me the phone number of the local branch co-ordinator whom she spoke to on my behalf which was very kind of her, so I will try and find the courage to phone her tomorrow. :???:

Thanks again for the advise.
    Chris
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Dear Chris,

You already qualify for concessionary membership through being on tax credits.

I hope that is helpful

Guy
  • chris7
    Thank you Guy :grin:

Yes that is helpful, sorry I hadn't thought of WTC as a benefit, though of course it is! :???: It was a bad week when I posted and I am always wary of claiming any concessions or discounts I don't feel entitled to.

I have now registered on-line as a member, so just have to find the courage to make that phone call before the next meeting in March. :oops: Well one thing at a time! :roll:
    thanks
    best wishes
    Chris