Applying For DLA-any advice?

Options
suze1971
suze1971 Member Posts: 5
edited 20. Mar 2011, 16:47 in My child has arthritis
Hi Folks,
This is my first post but I'm not new to this site as I've been reading posts on here for a while and they have really helped through some of the down days :smile:
My daughter has had JIA since she was 9. She is 11 now and the reality that it's not going to disappear any time soon has hit her. Anyway, my reason for posting is that I have been advised to have another go at applying for DLA for her. We were turned down last Summer but her circumstances have worsened since then. I just wondered if those who have had sucess in getting DLA for a child with JIA have any pointers or tips? I really feel all children with JIA should be entitled to it with what they put up with!
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• frankiesmum
    frankiesmum Member Posts: 20
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I have recently applied for DLA for my 9 year old son but was rejected. I appealed against the decision but still never won!! I, like you feel that children that suffer from this terrible disease should be entitled to it but the government obviously feel different. I dont think they realise just what a terrible thing it is and just how much our kids suffer!!

Still i think it's def worth trying again!!
    Good luck

xx
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    suze1971 wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    This is my first post but I'm not new to this site as I've been reading posts on here for a while and they have really helped through some of the down days :smile:
    My daughter has had JIA since she was 9. She is 11 now and the reality that it's not going to disappear any time soon has hit her. Anyway, my reason for posting is that I have been advised to have another go at applying for DLA for her. We were turned down last Summer but her circumstances have worsened since then. I just wondered if those who have had sucess in getting DLA for a child with JIA have any pointers or tips? I really feel all children with JIA should be entitled to it with what they put up with!
    Thanks in advance.
    hi i would get some help from the c.a.b i did and they will support you all the way, i could not of done it without them.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • suze1971
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for your responses x

I will give the CAB a try. Another parent, who was successful in their application, has advised emphasising the differences between the care for a child with JIA and an ordinary child of the same age. Apparently it also helps if the extra needs they have add up to at least 60 mins per day of direct caring for the arthritis.

Finger's x'd, but I'm not holding my breath! :|
  • jordansmum
    jordansmum Member Posts: 257
    Options
    when i put in a claim for jordan i found www.cafamily.org web site really useful they have a guide for claiming dla for a child it helped me alot and jordans claim was sucsessful (sp) sorry not got my spelling head on today lol hope this helps.
  • suze1971
    Options
    Many thanks Jordan's Mum, the Contact a Family Guide was really helpful :smile:
  • suze1971
    Options
    Just wanted to say a big thank you for the advice given on here, especially to Jordan's mum. Was sucessful with our application this time round - really recommend the CAF guide to help you through completing the form.