Frightened may have infection in hip

Options
pottypam
pottypam Member Posts: 27
edited 11. Feb 2011, 03:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
ok, After having to wait months for my hip op then had to have other one done only for the first one to then dislocate twice ,second time also hurt my shin that got infected twice,and through all that plus other stuff going on .I had gone with the flow always thinking ok nothing more can go wrong, well that is until today when for the first time I am worried and just a bit frightened . my hip had gradually hurting in the groin when walking and even more so when driving ,I put it down to damaged scare tissure from second dislocation , but the surgeon told me to day that he thinks that the joint is infected ,and needs to find out , so having blood tests and also bone mri on my lower spine to see if my leg swelling and lack of feeling and the pain is due to that ,but what frightened me is that IF it is an infection I will have to have the joint taken out ,antibiotics for six weeks min until can put new joint in so prob spend that in hos. and the thought of another op and being in hos again and the prob pain from this is really making me think NO MORE . Can i go without an op how will that affect me , and I am hoping with every wish i can make that it NOT infected . So positive thoughts are my watch word.
Has any one else had to have this done .? Was it ok ?

Comments

  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pam,

    Hell flower that's some problem there. I have no experience of humans and infected bones (bar Iris had septic arthritis and they hit it hard with antibiotics) but well what would happen if you didn't have the op....

    I do know about animals....

    They also get infected bones as well as septic arthritis and in both instances you hit it hard, and very hard, with some heavy duty antibiotics and sometimes it works and sometimes sadly it doesn't.

    Have you got antibiotics there? I would hope you have? Bottom line Pam is if its infected you could try the antibiotic route to see if it would work but it can spread if it doesn't so really I think you need to go with their ideas about what to do.

    i am so sorry though.

    Look it might be the scan shows your first idea was right! hang in there and see what the results are and please try not to get scared, what ever happens you can cope with. leaving you a (((( ))))) and a bucket of hopes their fears are ungrounded. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I haven't had this so I cannot help, but I do hope your surgeon is wrong. I cannot see how you could continue without an op, surely infections spread, but if they are able to whack it on the head with strong doses of anti-bios then that would be an initial plan. If they do need to remove the germy joint then that should be done, for the sake of the rest of your health. I agree that the 'inconvenience' would be immense but surely there is a great prize at the end of it all. I wish you well, and let us know the outcome, please. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Gosh Pam you poor thing, I am waiting to have my THR, so I cant really help with any advice.
    So I will send you lots of good vibes, and everything crossed that you dont have infection, and they can put things right for you.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Pam

    So sorry to read your post and I too am keeping everything crossed that you don't have an infection.

    Thinking of you.

    Love Tilly xxx
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pam, so sorry that you are having all this trouble but hopefully the MRI will show exactly what the problem is so perhaps it best not to jump the gun until you have the results, hopefully antibiotics might zap the infection but whatever you know we are all here for you and will jump in pockets if we need to
    Cath
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pottypam,

    what a terrible time you have been having. I really do hope your ortho is wrong. Are you on antibiotics whilst you wait for the tests?

    I'm sure that your ortho would only perform in yet another op if it was the only course of action available. Unbearable though the thought of removing the joint and after clearing up the infection having a new joint sounds - it would be preferable to the infection spreading and the repercussions of this.

    I think you should write down your questions to ask your ortho so that you can make a totally informed choice. The thought of more surgery does sound a nightmare but the alternative might be a lot worse.

    Keep us updated.

    Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pam

    Gosh, what a nightmare you are going through at the moment...

    I am constantly worrying about developing an infection in my new hip, so I can really sympathise/empathise with you..

    I hope the surgeon gets to the bottom of things very soon and it is something that can be sorted out without needing the joint to be removed..

    Let us know how you get on.

    Marion x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pam, I really feel for you and can understand you really don't want to go through with all that treatment but please don't put yourself at risk.

    Try and break each thing down to manageable parts and you will get through it. I know it's a cliche to say 'one day at a time' but sometimes it is the best approach rather than trying to cope with enormity of it all.

    Best of luck.
    Sal
  • pottypam
    pottypam Member Posts: 27
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for your words of empathy and support. Think my problem is that over the last four years it has been a case of its going to go wrong it will, and each time i say it will be ok, just get this over with will be ok then something else comes along, I think I am that bit more on edge with this as the surgeon that my problem with my hip could be one or even two of three things, two of which involve ops my hip IF it that or on my spine for spinal senoses as getting numb leg and pain on walking , but it things have had for years it just geting worse so lose my balance a bit . And the third is the one i hope ,that it a reaction to radiothereapy and nothing they can do, at least no surgury. as due other things am concided very high risk . Just got to wait for appt for MRI ,and i start treatment of Rhumixib on the 23rd. mmm think will take sun glasses a good book and tropicalfriut drink and pretend am on a beach lol
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi pottypam
    I really do hope that your surgeon is wrong and the hip is ok.
    That medication can help.
    I also hope the appointment comes through quickly.
    Wishing you luck
    Juliepf x