Terms of Affection

Options
lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 16. Feb 2011, 13:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
It struck me the other day that a lot of terms of affection we use are often are related to birds.

For example
    Hen Chicken Pigeon Duck Bird Cock Goose (affectionately wrong)

And yet insults are four-legged animals
    Pig Swine Mare Donkey Cow Dog Bitch

The word(s) you use often depends on which part of the country you live in. Why is that? Here, in the Midlands we use Duck for endearments and all of the insults, plus some unprintable ones :wink: . Do you know anymore and which do you use, if any?
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    insults...... snake, slug (slimey and unpleasent), vulture and maggot

affection.... piglet, monkey chops,
  • lindalegs
    Options
    coco67 wrote:
    insults...... snake, slug (slimey and unpleasent), vulture and maggot

affection.... piglet, monkey chops,

On that theme Coco there's Kitten too :grin:
    Love, Legs x
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    I have always found terms of affection really nice, I appear to have a habit of calling people poppett and sweetie. However there have been occasions when I (and others in my company)have been brought to book for using terms of endearment such as love, dear, etc being told that it is not politically correct to do so and on some occasions being told that it is offensive!

I really don't hold with the PC brigade, what I do hold with is good manners and common sense! But what do you think am I wrong?
  • lindalegs
    Options
    caterina57 wrote:
    I have always found terms of affection really nice, I appear to have a habit of calling people poppett and sweetie. However there have been occasions when I (and others in my company)have been brought to book for using terms of endearment such as love, dear, etc being told that it is not politically correct to do so and on some occasions being told that it is offensive!

I really don't hold with the PC brigade, what I do hold with is good manners and common sense! But what do you think am I wrong?

I don't think you're wrong at all but then I use them too. I think it sounds friendlier when they're used. I don't understand that some people can find them offensive.

Maybe someone will come along who does find them offensive and explain to us why Catherina. :grin:
    Love, Legs x
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Ladies :D Hope you're all OK?

This post instantly reminded me of the names I call my girls. I have lots, and they've changed over the years but generally, I pick and choose between:

Ellen (my 12 year old):
    Curly top (she has very curly hair like me)
    Goofy features (just for fun)
    Squidgy bum - although I don't call her that much now, obviously
    Pixie - because she has the cutest pointed ears...

Simie (my 8 year old):
    Stinks
    Big bum (she calls me worse, honestly!)
    Brown eyes (because she has HUGE brown eyes framed by the LONGEST lashes ever seen)

Jassie (my 7 year old):
    Monkey features (because she clings like a monkey when I hug her)
    Shiny Bob (because of her shiny soft hair)
    Stinks

It's funny, I don't think any of us even register the names anymore, we just use and respond to them automatically!

Duck is used a lot in Derby, especially by Ady-Duck at work. He's called that because he says Duck after every other word. I don't use names like this often, but I do say "Right" a lot, apparently!

Nxx
  • caterina57
    Options
    Hi N you made made me laugh because the word I am told I use a lot is --apparently! I also get told i use the word exactly far too much
    Cath
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    It's strange how we stop hearing the words we say most often, isn't it?

Nxx
  • coco67
    Options
    apparently im a s*d for using the words "hun", "matey" and "mucka"

my kids have ranged from........pocket rocket,
    loopy lou,
    squidge. rolo,
    little legs (that one came about because she told me of for walking fast and hands on hips informed me she only had little legs yer know)
    baggy bum
    grouch
    mardy ****
    mister man

to name a few and i still use them lol
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My mother insists on calling me poppet. A poppet is the doll into which you stick pins. No wonder I have sodding arthritis. Leave it out, mum, enough with the pins.

I don't like people I don't know calling me names that hint at affection or deeper feelings: I loathe, for example, people I met ten seconds ago calling me darling, or sweetheart. I am neither. It isn't offensive as such, it's more condescending and maybe they also do it because they cannot be bothered to remember my name, or even ask what it is. In return I call them Pumpkin, Sweetie-pie, Fluffy-bunnykins - they soon stop. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • coco67
    Options
    oh DD i have a picture in my head now of some big burly workman calling you darling and you calling him fluffy bunnykins :lol::lol: (i will have to try that one)

thankyou youve mad me laff today and thats been an achievement
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I like this thread lol..

I call my partner cock lol.. when he acts or does something stupid

My partner and teh kids say
    Lame
    Lame brain
    Douche bag
    Douche kin
    ?????

My daughter has loads she uses with her friends..funny how things change with the time...
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • caterina57
    Options
    Funny how we are all different, but it wouldn't be good for us to all be the same now would it? I am of the variety that says it as it is ( I do come from yorkshire!) However I only speak my mind on things that I can provide good evidence for, and I respect others views, may not agree with them - but do respect them. I don't mind what people call me - its their choice and their freedom to do so, I don't get easily offended or feel patronised and if I do I easily forgive - Life is too short for grudges. I don't mind a hug or a peck on the cheek upon meeting or leaving someone. I prefer to give a gift than recieve one and I think that the greatest gift you can give someone is your time - to share a special moment, listen to a moan, share ideas, comfort and support ----but thats me and as I said --- we are all different!
    Cath
  • traluvie
    Options
    caterina57 wrote:
    Funny how we are all different, but it wouldn't be good for us to all be the same now would it? I am of the variety that says it as it is ( I do come from yorkshire!) However I only speak my mind on things that I can provide good evidence for, and I respect others views, may not agree with them - but do respect them. I don't mind what people call me - its their choice and their freedom to do so, I don't get easily offended or feel patronised and if I do I easily forgive - Life is too short for grudges. I don't mind a hug or a peck on the cheek upon meeting or leaving someone. I prefer to give a gift than recieve one and I think that the greatest gift you can give someone is your time - to share a special moment, listen to a moan, share ideas, comfort and support ----but thats me and as I said --- we are all different!
    Cath

and you sound like a lovely person luvie...xxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    When I first started work at 17 I was in an office with one other woman and twenty blokes .....wow lucky me :grin: .....well I used to go around calling everyone a 'Dill' or a 'Big Dill' and the blokes would fall about laughing. One day they put a picture in my bag of a ****s1004.gif :oops: I've never used it since :lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
  • caterina57
    Options
    Oh legs, that is just so funny and I can imagine your shock and/or embarassment at seeing the picture.
    Cath
  • lindalegs
    Options
    caterina57 wrote:
    Oh legs, that is just so funny and I can imagine your shock and/or embarassment at seeing the picture.
    Cath

Before that day Cath I never knew such things existed .........I'd had a sheltered upbringing :lol::lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
  • katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Linda - you've set me off laughing and my back is hurting now!!

my 1st office job was with 2 women and 6 men - the men used to call me the dumb blonde until one day i pointed out how pathetic they were grown men picking on a young girl - they stopped calling me the dumb blonde and called me stroppy knickers instead - I left.

Katie x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    katie5 wrote:
    Linda - you've set me off laughing and my back is hurting now!!

my 1st office job was with 2 women and 6 men - the men used to call me the dumb blonde until one day i pointed out how pathetic they were grown men picking on a young girl - they stopped calling me the dumb blonde and called me stroppy knickers instead - I left.

Katie x

Sometimes you just can't win with men :roll: ......laughter has to be another good way of getting back pain Katie :wink:
    Love, Legs x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    A 'dil' is a useful piece of kit for some people - it can 'do' one thing, apparently quite well. :smile: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    **** .....used for getting rid of laughter lines andd wrinkles.... :lol:
  • traluvie
    Options
    julie47 wrote:
    **** .....used for getting rid of laughter lines andd wrinkles.... :lol:

:grin::lol: That really made me smile Julie....x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    It's the double ended ones that worry me :shock: :shock: :oops:
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Is this the chit chat forum or am I lost help ......help new treatment 4 Arthur double ended????is that like double sided sellotape :wink::wink::wink:
    ...............Just looked back :smile::smile::smile: I sound all twinset and pearls very H/Bucket ............BRING OUT YOUR ****.....wot are they anyway? :???: Tinkerbelle

Suggest you Google them for a better idea :grin:
    Love, Legs x