I am doing a race for life 5 km walk in may

Options
suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 18. Feb 2011, 06:12 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have been wanting to do something to support cancer research for some time. I know and have know so many people in my life with or have died from cancer. My inspiration for this is my late mother who died from this later followed by my god mother and i have my other god mother who after being told her was dormant has been told it is now back. They had left her to enjoy Christmas but she is facing more treatment.
I feel i must do this for them and other family and friends of the family who have passed on. I have been going through my own illness,s and feel this walk will also help me. I started back to the gym and my meds for depression have been reduced again. In may i will be completly off them. It is may the walk is planed. I phoned for my race for life pack and signed up for it today.
I will keep you informed of my progress x Joanne
Joanne

Comments

• katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi Joanne

just want to say well done for entering! the girls from work are talking about doing this and no-one asked me because of my arthritis which really upset me. the only exercise i can do anymore is walking and I walk to work and back everyday (which is sometimes a struggle) and they all travel by car!

We may have arthur but lets show them we're fighters!

good luck - keep us posted

Katie x
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Hi Joanne just wanted to say well done on signing up for the race for life, it is a really worthwhile cause and I am sure that you will enjoy it. I am sorry to hear that you lost your mother and Godmother to Cancer and that now your other Godmother is having to fight the dreadful disease. I did the race for life some years ago and really enjoyed it - you will find that the atmoshphere is great.
    Good Luck
    Cath
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Well done Joanne - that's a serious goal to go for and the fact you're in training now is such a good idea.

Hope you raise lots of money but mostly I hope you enjoy it, especially the achievement.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Well done good for you. Exercises will make you feel better...its a bit of a good drug getting out and about. Please in box me with details as i would love to sponsor you. Well done you.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Congratulations, this is a worthy cause and I wish you well in your endeavours. Don't over-do the training tho and harm yourself in the process - you need to be fit for May! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Good for you... well done
    Good luck
    Keep us informed
    Juliepf x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good for you Joanne
    There is nothing better then exercise to keep depression at bay, and what a brilliant cause.
    Good Luck with it, I know you can do it.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Joanne

well done YOU!!!

I did the race fro life the year before lst after my fr8iend's husband had died of cancer.

You will be so very very proud of yourself when you ahve done it - I cannot tell you the emotions you will feel - take tissue with you!

I walked all of mine if I remember.

I am already proud of you ( by the way you can get online sponsors - did you know that?)

Love

Toni xx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies. I will take tissues with me man sized i think and the essential pain killers.
    Just listing the people who i know or knew upset me when i phoned the charity.
    I have ordered the pink t shirt. My daughter is doing this with me.
    Just gonna have a word with the instructor at gym for some help to prepare.
    will keep you informed how i get on x Joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Ah Joanne

it would it is so emotional and YOU are going to help!

I will look forward to hearing your updates.

Love

Toni xx