Have any of you sold your unwanted Gold

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 22. Feb 2011, 15:27 in Community Chit-chat archive
My mother had to have her gold ring sawn off when she had a stroke, because her fingers started swelling.
Anyway, it was in 2 bits, and I thought it would be worth about £20. I took it to one of those Gold dealers and 2 of them in the shopping precinct where I live, both told me it was worth £40.
That was twice the value I thought it was worth, so you might be sitting on a nestegg if you have a lot of gold. Alanthemanc

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Tue enough, alanthemanc - what I would NOT do, however, is send it off in one of those envelopes! I would take it to local places, get a few quotes and then decide. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    D.D.
    Yeh, I was carefull not to get ripped off, and got 2 valuations, and both were the same, so it must have been the true value.
    It felt a bit strange going in there to be honnest, it seemed like a scene from the 1930's, if you know what I mean, I suppose it's the sign of the times eh. Alanthemanc
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Funny enough there was an article in the Manchester Evening News on Tuesday, stating that Pawn shops are a booming business. It seems they are making a comeback
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    They have been booming for a while now, Alan, which is not that surprising. When Mr Brown sold our gold I do wish he had looked around for the best price, instead of opting for the first dirt cheap offer he was given. Twonk. It took a certain level of genuis to sell gold when the market was at rock bottom. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Gold fever is caused by a tiny parasitic microbe.

Apparently they taste like chicken.....
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    My wedding jewelry was worth about £10,000 back in 1997 when we got married and it's sitting in a bank vault because I knew I'd never wear it again. I like the ideas of my daughters wearing bits at their weddings and maybe my brother's daughters too...

I couldn't sell it, you have to buy so much gold for an Indian wedding, honestly, I'd probably spend the same buying some back and it's nice to have the original pieces because my mum gave me her necklace.

Nxx
  • Elsiemay
    Elsiemay Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I did send off some odd earrings, a ring and couple broken chains to the one advertised on TV. Young Lady called me back, here is how it went.
    " hello Miss ??, we would like to offer you £45"
    "NO"
    " oh then we can increase the offer to £75"
    "NO thank you, please return my items"
    "I will speak with my manager....(hanging on for 2 mins)...he said to offer £125 - final offer"
    ....now considering I thought about £90 as most was only 9ct and one bracelet 22 arabic gold, I thought I would chance my arm
    "NO please send items back I was looking for over £200"
    "ok, please hold the line"
    "We can pay £260 into your bank today"
    "DEAL" :lol:

***DON'T ACCEPT THE FIRST FEW OFFERS THEY MAKE"
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    I reckon i've got about a fiver's worth!!!!!

Serioulsy - I am impressed with what you are getting for it - Elsiemay particularly - you did very well.

Toni xx
  • arty
    arty Member Posts: 51
    Options
    We have silversmithing classes here at my studio and we use a company called COOKSONS GOLD . They are in Birmingham and most professional jewellers use them, they will give you the full price. You can see daily what the price of gold is on there website.
    :grin:
    Arty :)
    Hope today is a good day for you
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    I have sold a few bits but have not sold any pieces with stones in as you will only get the value of the gold - "We're only after the scrap gold the stones are worthless". THIS IS A LIE!!

I worked in a jewellers some years ago and this was a stock phrase. As soon as the deal for the scrap gold was done the piece was taken into the back given a good clean and was in the window being sold as second hand at a huge profit.

If you have broken pieces or odd earrings or cufflinks etc. then selling it is a good idea but please be very wary there are a lot of con artists out there particularly if they have a shop where complete items can be sold again.

Kate x