what did you want to be when you grew up??

Options
katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
edited 23. Feb 2011, 06:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
when i was small,we had an irish family next door and i was best friends with the daughter to the point that i went to catholic church with her even though we were c/e anyway i used to love the nuns and i remember going in their kitchen and there was these what i can only describe as washing up bowls full of jelly :shock: at the time i thought that was what nuns ate,how cool i thought not only do you get to wear a wedding dress but you eat jelly all day and for a while that was my chosen career :lol: now i presume they were for the homeless kitchens...unless they really do it jelly and ive missed out all these years :shock: :sad:

so what was everyones dream job as a child???

Comments

• coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    to be in the army, i wanted to drive tanks. had 2 problems with that,
    to blumming short and at the time there were no women tank drivers in the army,
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    I wanted to look after children and did for 33years! mainly working in children's homes.
    Cath
  • PamieAFC1903
    PamieAFC1903 Member Posts: 899
    Options
    Always wanted to be a Journalist. Just the education system screwing up my life stopped me.... until now lol!
    I ♥ Runrig.

I live, sleep, eat and breathe Runrig!!!!!.
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    An artist.....
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    A Ninja :shock: :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I was going to be a famous dress designer. I used to spend hours designing fabulous dresses, and then when I was older I learned to use a sewing machine to make them. I was discouraged from following a career in fashion by my headmistress at school, who was only interested in the more academic subjects, so eventually I gave up the idea. However, sewing was a very useful skill to have, and I made lots of dresses, including my own wedding dress which took me six weeks to finish.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    I won’t say ours was a tough school, but we had our own coroner. We used to write essays like: What I’m going to be if I grow up. :grin:

:roll:

I wante to be a long distance lorry driver.... :shock:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi have never known what i wanted to do always envied those who did being from working class family on a council estate where everyone else were working class as well you only came across a limited amount of jobs and non of them appealed to me lol still waiting to grow up enough to know
    did want to marry a millionare with one foot in grave will that count and have white rolls royce with grey fir seats lol
    val
  • arty
    arty Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Morning all, just having a nosey before I take my class.

Apparently I told my Mum I wanted a pets corner, and wanted to make pots of jam!!

Not that far off I guess....I am an artist and have a studio where I teach, but I make them lovely lunches too. Oh, and I have 2 dogs, 8 ducks, 1 cat, 1 cockatiel and a field of cows!! :grin:

Not got round to the jam yet lol
    Arty :)
    Hope today is a good day for you
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I just wanted to be a gymnast. I actually wished I had been born in Russia so that I could have the best training available. In this country I just couldn't get the training after i reached a certain level.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • katknapp
    Options
    when i got a bit older i think i was about 11 i wanted to be a forensic scientist,never got there........although i suppose i did whenever i had to entered my sons bedroom lol!!!!
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    A Gamekeeper.......

And Lewis wants to be...........'A Gamekeeper'....

Wonder why??????
    Roba045.gif
  • katknapp
    Options
    hi have never known what i wanted to do always envied those who did being from working class family on a council estate where everyone else were working class as well you only came across a limited amount of jobs and non of them appealed to me lol still waiting to grow up enough to know
    did want to marry a millionare with one foot in grave will that count and have white rolls royce with grey fir seats lol

i grew up on a council estate too and there was only limited jobs it also didnt help that you were not really encouraged in your dreams at secondary school,all i can remember from school was the teachers writting a load of stuff on the blackboard and then sitting down telling you to get on with it,...not really sure i would have been any good as a forensic scientist anyway...i faint at the sight of blood :lol:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    my dad was a welder strange never wanted to do that lol. mum looked after us and cleaned when dad got home to look after us.
    careers calss was a laugh i did want to join the wrens but needed o levels and as was b stream at school (a streem parents ran own buissnesses or were managers) so made sure did not go up so would have to stay on for extra year with all the snobs (well that was how i saw them) did not, was mistake but we live and learn
    val
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Tall and slim :lol:

I wanted to be a nurse when I was about 5. Had a nurses uniform and a stethoscope and a little kit.

Trouble is i learnt I don't like blood.
    Especially someone elses.

Ended up in an office.

Juliepf x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Can't remember actually wanting to be anything in particular and the school I went to didn't care and I had a bad time there so don't remember if they had a careers advisor either. Growing up in a small market town doesn't expose you to a lot of possible careers unless you wanted to work in a factory or on the land.

Consequently I ended up moving from menial job to menial job quite aimlessly until I blagged my way into an position as a trainee accountant and ended up as an administrator gaining an MBA on the way despite leaving school with no O Levels and qualified for naff all.

Credit due to you, Del. You worked your way up the hard way and made a success of your life, so well done :!: I always find stories like yours a real inspiration.

I was privileged to have a good education, for which I will be eternally grateful. I went through quite a rebellious phase at one time, but my teachers made me see the light before I threw away all my opportunities.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I had no idea. Absolutely none. I am happy with what I did end up doing, but that is now coming to an end. When it does I may then think about growing up. I am not entirely sure where my life went, but I do know it's gone. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    Thats fab rehab :grin:
  • Elsiemay
    Elsiemay Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I wanted to be a nurse.

Although I was not in the 'top tier' at school I was heart broken when they told me that I "would never understand anything about medications etc."....

All the local 'council estate' girls were 'marked' out to move straight to Warners Bra Factory...no way would my Mum let any of us work there. So considering I wasn't allowed to do Biology, I opted for office work...."groan" :sad: but must say hasn't done me too badly over the years.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Elsiemay, it's nice to meet you! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    katknapp wrote:

i grew up on a council estate too and there was only limited jobs it also didnt help that you were not really encouraged in your dreams at secondary school,all i can remember from school was the teachers writting a load of stuff on the blackboard and then sitting down telling you to get on with it,...not really sure i would have been any good as a forensic scientist anyway...i faint at the sight of blood :lol:

.....and I came from a background even less classy! I didn't care much what I did as long as it was working with words and that has done me proud - along the way I have picked up a couple of diplomas here and there and have had 3 perfectly good careers (before, during and after the children) and a tail ender which was the best!

I can never be sure if I was just lucky or simply took the opportunities as they offered. It was hard going at times, but I stuck it out and most of the time enjoyed it.

I really, really wanted to be a professional dancer, but I knew from the start it couldn't be. I'm just thankful that I was able to make the most of what was offered to me.

Annie
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    I just wanted to be a gymnast. I actually wished I had been born in Russia so that I could have the best training available. In this country I just couldn't get the training after i reached a certain level.

Elizabeth

Its a good job you were not born in Russia the training regime is cruel they are force to bend in poses for a long time tummies pushed down further into pose for a long time and they are in agony and crying. I saw a program on it just awful :shock: :evil :sad: :eek: :cry: :x
    Joanne
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    I always wanted to be a bus conductor.but when I passed the 11+ I knew I was going to have an academic career.However While studying to be a teacher I used to work every holiday on the buses in Chester.The funny thing was my last two weeks money on the buses was more than my first months teaching salary.I really loved teaching but the buses that was really special :grin::grin::grin:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I failed my 11+ with flying colours ( maths was my downfall ) but I made up for it later and qualified as a teacher. Then what did I end up teaching, among other subjects, but maths :?: :shock: But having experienced the fear of failure myself, I think it made me more sympathetic when any children were struggling with the subject. Year 6 was my limit though, and I'm still pretty useless with numbers.
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    I never knew and I still don't know... I haven't grown up yet, anyway, so it doesn't count

Nxx