No humira tomorrow.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. Feb 2011, 05:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having spent a fair chunk of last week marooned in bed, feeling very grotty, I have been considering whether to take the humira tomorrow or not. After much pondering, I have decided not. Pain-wise things won't get much worse, movement-wise ditto, the last dose did very little to relieve the arthritis anyway, so I won't be any the worse off. I have not yet decided about the meth which is due on Wednesday - I will see how I am feeling closer to the time. The cold is so much better, I don't really want to weaken my immune system again and risk re-infection: I want it gone, properly cleared. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD,

Glad the cold is on its way out. Its true what you said about making sure its fully gone so to avoid any infection, Thats the last thing you need.
    Hopefully things go well on wed.

Rob
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Good luck DD. I think it is best for you to refrain from the humira while you feel so lousy. Having been in the same position as you, and with the benefit of hindsight, it is best to get rid of the cold symptoms first as it could drag you down further.But do not leave it too long and let your rheummy know you are stopping the medication and ask her/his opinion about the MTX.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi DD
    I dont really understand these meds, but I do know that you will do whats best for you.
    Sorry you had a rotten week, hopefully like you say the colds is on its way out, I really hope you feel a little better very soon.
    Bloody arthur I could stamp on his head :evil
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello bobbyger, barbara12 and tkachev, thank you for your thoughts. I know I am doing the right thing, I have no doubt about that - and tkachev I will let the powers-that-be know - I will ring the helpline tomorrow and leave them a message, I promise. DD
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi DD,
    Just wanted to echo what has already been said and say, you are doing the right thing, humira and Meth with a cold virus is not a good combination. Glad your cold is retreating, take care try and get lots of rest.
    Thinking of you hugs Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    I agree DD that it's a wise thing to leave out the Humira (and other stuff from your arsenal) whilst you're so under the weather.

I'd be particularly concerned about the alendronic acid which has been discredited by doctors and dentists in my neck of the woods. For three years now both OH and I have only been prescribed the Adcal.

Hope you're soon racing along on your unicycle :smile:

Cherry x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Morning DD, hope that you are doing ok, I am another who is not that familiar with those meds, but I know that you sure ain't daft hun.. So you will do what is best for yourself..
    Best wishes, hope you feel well soon

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Morning DD

I do hope you are getting there....with the cold and i know that you know what you are doing regards your meds, being a bit of an old hat with them.

Take care my lovely

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Morning dd
    Hope you are reasonably well today and that missing the humira helps you recover from your terrible cold fully.
    Take care
    thinking of you
    Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The cold is much better, but the people we saw on Saturday both had them (hers worse than his) hence my caution with the humira etc. I must confess, cherrybim, I forgot the alendronic acid yesterday morning - :oops: - oh who am I kidding? I woke up, thought about it and decided 'No.' I had had a good Saturday night, I was getting ready for an excellent breakfast and I didn't want to spoil the day. So I didn't. Simples! :grin: Should the arthritis flare, well, it will do what it will do. I care not. It's done that before and it will do it again, I cannot control it. Nothing does. DD

Julie? Thank you, that's the plan! I am feeling much, much better and I want to stay that way.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. You do need to be see the back of the cold, this will give you a fighting chance. As you say arther does his own thing anyway. Glad you had a good weekend, even if your friends were germ-infested!!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Options
    Hello DD, glad you are on the mend, I agree with the others about leaving off the meds, you need to get over that cold. It's a shame your friends were ill, it's so difficult for us to still have a social life and not get sick, I caught my latetest chest infection from my 6 year old grandson, they don't understand they can't see me because I might get ill. It's so annoying sometimes, but then so is everything about this illness, arthur ha
    s a lot to answer for :x :x :x

Sue x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My immune system is picking up nicely now I have dropped the supressants, so I am not bothered that they had colds. I don't want to run the risk of re-infection, hence my decision. I don't blame my arthritis for this malarkey tho - I know exactly what I do blame, and it ain't that. DD
  • arty
    arty Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi DD

Sorry to hear your dilemma, you must be fed up.....Ok, Im being polite!
    I am on the same meds as you, as you know and its a catch 22 situation hey? I had a horrible infection which meant 6 wks no meths or humira last yr so RA was really bad. Your scared of taking it incase the infection starts again, but then you do want to take it to control the RA.....Its a ****, and my GP is cr**

Do you take echinacea ? I have had less infections since taking it last July.

You know where I am if you want a chat ok

Take care ok
    Arty :)
    Hope today is a good day for you
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have been lucky really, I think this is only the second time I have had to miss a dose of humira since I began it. I am not worried about the PA rearing its ugly head - it does that when I am on the stuff so probably this time nothing will happen. I have turned into a really thicksnot monster tho - so absolutely the right decision not to take it. I think I will give the meth a miss for another week too, better safe than sorry. My hospital told me not to take echinacea, zinc or anything else to help the immune system which does make sense as they are spending loadsa money on turning mine off! I hope all is as well with you as it can be, arty. Fancy a natter soon? DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hope it's going ok so far DD

(snotmonster :shock: eeeuuuuwwww!)

Arty I was told to stay off echinacea too..maybe you should check it out?

Love to you both

toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    I took zinc for a couple of days but soon stopped because I started to really stiffen up. Don't know if it was the zinc , but I soon felt better without it.
    I have often wondered about (let me look back to see how to spell it)echinacea. Won't bother now.

Hi dd hope you are ok this afternoon,
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    When Mr DD goes down with a cold (and he gets them badly) I dose him, with both zinc and echinacea, but then he is generally a healthy **** and these things are fine for him. Those of us on immune-system suppressants have to be more careful, tho - that is what I have always been told but as we know the advice we get varies so very, very much. DD
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    just to dip my toe in the murky waters of immunosuppresants and herbal stuff ......

I was told categorically that there is a conflict between Methotrexate and echinacea, and that I was to use NOTHING which contained echinacea .... including a certain brand of toothpaste I was considering using for my poorly gums :eek:

even herbal tea with the stuff in was forbidden :roll: :roll:

sorry and all that :wink:
    Wonky
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I argue with my mum all the time about the term 'drugs'. For her it's stuff that synthesised in labs (not the dogs, laboratories) but for me it includes things like St John's Wort and plants/extracts of that ilk, ones that definitely affect the body. 'Things from plants are natural and not drugs' she trills, to which I counter 'What about opium etc?' - that floors her.

I've decided no meth today either. Seems like a plan as the phlegm is decreasing. Is that where the term 'phlegmatic' comes from? A humour of the body or somesuch? Any etymologists out there? DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thanks del! Ain't dictionaries wonderful things? I just couldn't be ***** to reach for mine! Good luck with the enbrel stabbing. DD
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    Hi DD ~ hope you are feeling better :?: loads (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))) for you & feel you are the one who knows what is best with the meds :!:

take care and more ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))) to hlep you :!:

louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi DD,
    Hope you are feeling a little better? My sore throat is bad and speaking hurts, 'result' shout my lads! Really hope your cold is on the way out.
    Thinking of you Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X