Dentist

Options
tonesp
tonesp Member Posts: 844
edited 21. Feb 2011, 14:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Got a problem with a broken tooth I need to see the dentist I read somewhere that if you have had a total hip replacement you need a course of antibiotics if you need any dental work anyone know anything about this??

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tone,

Not sure but if you have a broken tooth it must be some painful and well I think I would just go see one and they ought to know....

Its likely though in some ways if the wounds are still there cus the human mouth has more bacteria in it than any other animal..... been bitten by a human and boy did it go infected... worse than cats and rats! :lol:

Good luck and maybe you could ring and ask cus that must hurt? Cris x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Tone,

When my knees were replaced I had to carry a card around to say I'd had them done and was told to show it to the dentist if I had to have extractions.

Tell your dentist as they should make a note on your records and they'll give you antibiotics if they think you need them.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Hello Tone and Linda.

That's very interesting, not experienced it myself with knee and hip replacements.

However OH has an op date to have the metalwork in his femur removed and a THR done so I've made a note for him to ask about it at his pre-op assessment.

I've never known surgeons, doctors or dentists to prescribe antibiotics prophylacticly but we live and learn :smile:

Cherry x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Wow Tone!!

You are a mine of information!!

I never knew this at all, but I DID know that those with dicky tickers need antibiotics if they have dental work done. As Cris said the mouth is not so clean :???:

Good luck with the treatment.

My youngest is having two out this week then two next all ready for her fixed brace :sad:

Love

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Tone

I had heard something about this so mentioned it to my dentist when I had a wisdom tooth out not so long after my TKR. His reply was, there is no need to bother. I am still here to tell the tale. :smile:

I would ask when at your appointment or before to see what your dentist's view is on the matter.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi tone
    I don't know the answer but I would enquire when you make the appointment.
    Hope the tooth isn't causing any pain.
    Good luck
    juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Tell everybody everything, that way you are covered. I hope you can get the tooth sorted - there is nothing worse than a pain that won't stop. (Can you spot the touch of schadenfreude from me? :smile: ) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Tonesp, I have read this too. There is a chance that the dental work can push bacteria into your blood stream and this can affect the replacement. The risk is higher if you have a compromised immune system ie taking certain meds for RA or PA as well. Ensure you inform the dentist in advance of treatment and if necessary I would check with your ortho.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Tones
    I've read/heard this as well.......the best thing to do is tell all medics about your THR......eyes/mouth the lot LOL just to be on the safe side
    Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,940
    Options
    Hi Tone.
    when i went to the dentist after my thr i was told i had to have antibiotics when you had some thing done even when they were cleaned in case anything started bleeding i had to have it half hour before going.
    i had it for 3 years.
    good luck with your tooth. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    Options
    hi tone

just wanted to say i used have to antibiotic cover for any dental work even scale and polish! however, it was reported several years ago that there was no need for this and have not had to have AB cover for at least the last two years. (forgot to say it's because i have a heart murmur).

still best to check with your dental practice though.

best of luck

Katiex
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    I went to see Claudia our gorgeous Peruvian dentist this afternoon She said that for very invasive work she would prescribe antibiotics As far as the tooth is concerned she couldn't find anything wrong with it She took an X ray and all looked well.She said take Ibuprofen for a week chew on the other side and come back next monday She also scaled and polished the bottom ones All for 60 euros Not Bad :smile::smile::smile::smile:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well that is goood news, let the party continue unabated Tonesp! Trust you to have a babe for a dentist. Mine was an overweight Egyptian with bad breath, so utterly delightful and so NOT an advert for his trade. I have managed to avoid him for about six years. I have enough pain, I don't want or need more. Take care - if it worsens go back pronto. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben