DLA

Options
BoleynBlue
BoleynBlue Member Posts: 40
edited 1. Aug 2011, 10:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
I applied for DLA because I am really struggling and in pain everyday, and they have just rang me with an appointment to have a medical, is this normal?
I'm worried they wont believe me, and what if the day i go is a goodish day for me :shock:
I'm scared now :cry:

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Describe all pains and symptoms as if it is your worst day so that they know what you have to cope with . Maybe write some notes to jog your memory and take someone with you for support . Lots of luck , we'll all be with you for extra support too . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Medicals are the norm now, in trying to weed out the fraudsters they like to weed out everyone. Remember that you are being seen by helathy people who do not have a clue about what we deal with on a regular basis. Make notes about how what the pain affects (not just your joints, there is also your stamina and concentration), how your sleep is affected, what makes things worse, what makes things better, how your life has changed since this all began. I hope you will be able to take someone with you for moral support. We will be behind you, of course, let us know when you are being seen. Various threads exist on here, posted by people who have been thro the process, check those and see if they give you any extra info. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    And try not to worry,and like someone said take some notes with you, all you can do is your best
    Good luck with it all
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • BoleynBlue
    Options
    Hmmm they have just rang me back to say that the Doctors report has now arrived and they dont need to see me now. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Thanks to all who repliedx
  • BoleynBlue
    Options
    I was at the Doctors friday so maybe he sent the form off after that.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    BoleynBlue wrote:
    Hmmm they have just rang me back to say that the Doctors report has now arrived and they dont need to see me now. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Thanks to all who repliedx

Hi there, I would take it as good news, mind you, don't be surprised if they ring, or write to you or your GP asking for more information, it seems they need to go to the far end of the field and back again, before they actually understand a person is ILL!! Oh it makes me so mad. Don't mention DLA to me, I had a time and half with them last year. Keep us informed, we need to win the war, not battle on time after time. Take care, XXX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    BB

I am so releived for you that they are not coming as that is hugely stressful.

Let's hope the docs report has helped you eh??

Good luck

Love

toni xx
  • BoleynBlue
    Options
    Well I received the letter from them today to say that I have not been awarded dla :cry:

I am going to wait for the results of the xray to see if it is worth appealing.

It isnt fair is it when people like us are in genuine pain.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Boleyn,

Its not fair for sure but maybe you need better of more reports? I don't know if you know what the doctors report said but it might be you need to see one and talk through your problems with mobility with them?

have you got consultant letters as well? The more you got the better I think.

Wait for the xray by all means but I would appeal it now i think cus that takes for ever and a day as well. You probably do need more or better doctors letters as well. Good luck and hang in there Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    do NOT give up yet BB

This is so upsetting, but is happening so much these days. Amost like you have to appeal every time.

check how long you have to appeal and if you didnt have help before from CAB or someone like that take some advice. Worth noting you may well need an appt to see them so don't delay too long.

Right behind you on this one.

Love

toni xx
  • joanneredshaw
    joanneredshaw Member Posts: 62
    Options
    HI BOLEYN GIRL!

I applied like yourself for DLA last October, I was declined also. I have RA, Fatigue and Fibro. I am now re applying due to more assessments that have been done on myself by the Physio etc. It was recommended by my Rheumy because I had a lot more pain due to Fibro! The Physio backs this up and has written a report for me, but I am still waiting for this.The more evidence you can supply the better. I have also been prescribed Amitriptlylene to help with the fatigue.

I think you should appeal, which you can do within a month of receiving the letter. Most people are turned down the first time round. I have gotten worse with fatigue and pain since applying the first time.

I should take note of why they have refused your application in the first place. On my application it was because I didn't need help for more than one hour a day.But now I do, as I have difficulty getting in and out of the bath and dressing etc.

Hope you succeed, keep me posted.
    Good Luck Jo :smile:
  • BoleynBlue
    Options
    The reason I was declined was the same as yours, they also said i was too mobile, even though the 15 min walk to my daughters school can sometimes take me an hour to do if i'm bad, and that climbling the stairs is a nightmare.

I am now going to see what my hospital appointment reveals then decide to re apply.
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Options
    I too applied for DLA and was turned down, told I wasnt disabled enough.. (I have GA, OA and PsA) I appealed and was turned down twice more. I too felt like giving up but with support and help I continued ti fight, and I have just been given a date for my final tribunal hearing. My Rheumatologist is very supportive and he has written to the DWP to help support my claim.

You just need to keep fighting, its just another method they use to try and weed out the cheats, because the ones that are in need will generally take it through to tribunal... thats what I was told when I was on the verge of giving up.

Mark
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Oh my,
    ive also applied ive had letter saying theyre contacting gp then another saying theyre contacting consultant. My family could really do with this as we are struggling big time as no sick pay. I cant go out in the day when kids at school as cant use up the petrol and if i go into town i have to sit in a cafe to rest and buy coffee. I dont think i have the strength to fight them if i get turned down, my ex is also taking me and CSA to court over his maintenance payments and im stressing over that.
    Its certainly not easy and they seem to enjoy making it as difficult and stressful as possible.
    I hope you find the strength to appeal,
    seamonkey
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    I have just posted my DLA application! I applied 2 years ago and was turned down, I went to my local Advice Centre this time for help filling in the forms and the lady who helped me said I should definately appeal if turned down. She did say it could be 8 weeks before I hear anything.
    Cath
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I got awarded DLA in September, the main reason was my rheumatologist wrote to them about my mobility problems. A GP wouldn't really know as much about your difficulties unless he is particularly helpful or you keep them well informed.
    I had help filling out the forms from CAB.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Dont have a rheumatologist, I have spondylosis and OA I have just had 10 weeks off work, my dr wouldn't let me go back until they agreed to let me phase back - just doing 4 hours a day at the moment but struggling. My GP is aware of my DLA claim and wrote down all the medical stuff for me to put on the form
    Cath
  • joanneredshaw
    joanneredshaw Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi

I was wondering whether you were successful in your claim for DLA, i have been turned down twice now and have just written a letter disagreeing with their last decision. MY GP has written a letter in my defense and hopefully I will be recognised for what I cannot do .

Let me know
    All the Best

Jo :smile: