Hair loss

Options
Hils
Hils Member Posts: 24
edited 23. Feb 2011, 03:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello folks,

Has anyone else suffered from hair loss when taking Methotrexate?
:?:
Mine has been pretty drastic!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    All of us, I expect, to varying degrees. My hair certainly falls out more easily - probably due to a combination of meth and aging. It is a common side effect, but not usually as dramatic as the hair loss suffered by those on serious doses of the stuff. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I haven't noticed anything Hils but then I'm only on 10mg tablets per week.

Are you on folic acid - because that can help alleviate the side effects of Mtx?
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Hills,

I got some real thinning going on and well some might be age but most id the mtx. I have upped the folic acid back along but not sure if its helped or not cus i don't know how bad it would be without it.

The gp said though I do have significant thinning its more obvious to me than anyone else... though that's not always true in bright light or i assume sunlight.

Hope it will ease up for you. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I forgot the FA - are you taking that and if so how much? The dosage could be increased if necessary - ask your GP.

It is difficult to say by how much more mine is comiing out - it's fine to starts with (ie no bulk or body) - I have a sink strainer over the bath plug (our shower is the over-the-bath type) and that gets blocked daily by hair. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    I think I can remember it coming out at the beginning it was on my pillow. But now it is ok.
    Hope it settles down for you too
    Juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Hils

I am so sorry about your hair. It may well settle down and as DD said are you taking your folic acid? It can help.

Love

toni xx
  • Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for your replies folks. Yes i am taking some folic acid. I see my Rheumatologist in early April so she can advice if i need to increase dose etc. I'm fairly easy going about it as to stress would probably make it worse. Morning hair care is much easier and it doesn't matter if my hair gets wet when it rains. Anyway it looks quite trendy. Oooh groovy!! Hils 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to wait to see your consultant, hils, your GP should be able to advise you on the FA so if you see them first ask away! I hope it settles down soon. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    That's the right attitude there Hils....

stress DOES make things worse :???:

I too hope it settles for you.

Love

toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Hills,

tis good your laid back about it and kinda envy you that a bit. Used to be till friends started commenting..... its not so much an image thing as a horror thing with some of the comments :lol:

It was my gp's who upped the folic and now i take 10 ml 5 days a week cus the mtx has given me a few side effects. Not sure if it helps or not and I lost all my hair once so do have a predisposition to it falling out maybe. Cris x