Chest pain on top of arthritis

Options
marie48
marie48 Member Posts: 189
edited 1. Mar 2011, 18:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
For the past three months, I have been suffering from chest pain on and off and I put it to the statins tablets GP prescribed for high cholesterol. The chest pain moves to my right breast and across my back. GP is referring me to the chest pain and cholesterol is normal. I do not think it is the tablets as I have stopped taking then since last week and was blaming the pain on the tablets,but have not told GP yet. She also asked me to take Lanzaprazole as it might be indigestion. I have got a feeling it is gastric as I am very burpy after I have eatenbut unfortounately the Lanzaprazole is not helping me. The discomfort last for days although manageable it is very tiring. I need to go and see her again after I have been to the chest clinic.

I just want to know from members who take brufen whether they are taking anything for their stomach for the side-effects. I am a bit concerned might be an ulcer.If so what will be the signs and symptoms I will be looking for. I am on brufen but have not taken them for months but use the gel instead. I just hope somebody could relate with my problem. I could do without this on top of the generalized osteo-arthritis which is manageable at the moment. Thanks

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Sorry didnt see this till just.

First of all the lanzoprazole should protect you from belly damage from the brufen. If it is that then you are being referred? Take the lanzop religioulsy in the meantime.

Now l will tell you about me. ( embarrassing) I started getting chest pains about 8 or more years ago when I finally split with my ex (well put the house on teh market). My Dad had also just died of a heart attack. The pains were very scary and happened usually afternoon- evening. They were in the middle of my chest slightly to one side and radiated through to may back.

I tried everything l could from rennise to deflatine - none of them helped. They would last about 40 mins and then gradually subside. Sometimes I could get them repeatedly with gaps in between. I think they also radiated into my neck.

I had soooo many tests rets test stress test, 48 hour monitor etc etc. they all came back claer and I can only say I reckon they were/are a kind of panic attack as I still get them now and then even now (had some over the weekend and the ex was visiting the kids :oops:

I do hope yo get teh answer soon.

have you tried the deflatine?

LOve

toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Marie,

Sorry your not too good there. I assume they have done ecg's at your docs and that?

Glad they are doing more tests on you.

I don't know what problems those tablets could give you but the lansoprazole, at the right does, can heal an ulcer so it might be worth taking them any way for a bit?

I have had pain form suspect gall stones go up into the right shoulder and back but never the ulcers... though this one i have at present does do a lot of pain all over the chest cavity, even breathing but at the same time the other def ulcers have never done this. they were lower mind....

As Toni says panic can make your chest go tight, get pains and breathing trouble but really they need to do a few tests on you to find out what is really going on.

The low ulcers were a drawing pain that was relatively quiet less i ate or drank anything. Then they would kick off a bit like a burn feels. This one... this one doesn't shut up and the whole stomach is now hard from the outside and well i am waiting to find out what it really is.....

lean on your gp a bit though cus they really should be looking at you more closely just now.

Hope it will soon ease back and leave you alone. Cris x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I originally had chest pains when my R.A first started 11 years ago. I believe it was R.A related. My pains felt like somebody was standing on my chest. When I started meds the pain disappeared which is why I think it was R.A related.
    I went to the GP last year because I thought I had an ulcer. I had acid reflux and soreness under my ribs. My GP said it was a torn muscle and I needed to lose weight. I was prescribed omniprazole.
    Hope any of that helps but do get it checked out as we are all different.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I was diagnoised with stomach ulcers a while again after having a endoscopy usually anti biotics can heal them but i had the type of ulcer that was not able to be cured by a/bs my 2nd endoscopy showed stomach erosions mine all started through taking a small does of asprin for chest pains , I now take omeprazole daily to keep the erosions from turning into ulcers, as for ulcer pain if you have it you would remember it its a type of pain that you can know is def ulcer pain it radiates through to your back and the pain is a gripping pain that leaves you feeling bruised you will also get a hungar feeling, I cannot take ibruprofen or anything with asprin in, onions trigger pain,
    I can now go to my Dr knowing the pain I'm feeling is ulcers or a bad erosion and he can treat me stright away, hope this helps
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    I have OA, and have suffered in the past from rib pain that can radiate to the chest.
    If you think it may be gastric, try some peppermint oil tabs from an health store, they work wonders
    I do hope you get it sorted very soon, it can be a worry
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • towyview
    towyview Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi,

I suffer from RA and OA and I also have suffered chest pains. For some reason it tends to happen at night and not necessarily after eating. I have had an ecg and was referred to a cardiac consultant as the medics thought it was my heart. I had a CT angiogram and also a full angiogram but nothing wrong with my heart (thank goodness) The cardiac team were not happy with the anti inflamms so I try to cut down. But I`ve never had an explanation for the pains. My GP tries to tell me it could be arthritis in my ribs !!! What do you think?

Dorothy
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I also had cardiac tests but for once all was clear I was so amazed to be told everything is ok as I'm so used to being told its not lol,
    if you need an endoscopy please ask for light anesthetic its a piece of cake if you do if not its not very nice , good luck finding out what it is michelle xx
  • arty
    arty Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Chest pains are worrying and I think we all know that WE are more at risk of heart attacks etc.

My story....weekend away in the lakes, day 1 chest pains and in the evening got worse, more so when I lay down [chest expands that was why] so hubby called ambulance as I was really bad...all a bit scary

Previous to our weekend away I had been working in the studio...prob a bit too much, leaning on the bench, cutting glass. Day 1 of our weekend I also carried a heavyish bag.

Anyway...hospital kept me in all weekend :sad: Did lots tests inc the one where they inj your heart with dye and pop you in a machine that looks like something outta stargate...all in all I got the all clear thank god.

My cons has put it down to my RA so I now go swimming x 2 week and do a daily stretch excercise my OT told me about and since then I have only had the odd twinge. Maybe this is what is happening to you? Thought it would at least be something to look at and tick off if it isnt.

Excercise....stand with feet apart...hold arms out forward & straight [well as straight as they will go anyway] then move them back gently and stretch like you are yawning. It opens your ib cage up and stretches the chest muscles....if your muscles are not used they build up a chemical that can make them ache. Its a bit like runners sitting in a cold bath after a marathon to get rid of this chemical. Im sure theres a better explanation but thats mine in lamens terms.

So anyone that sits around or cant move much these excercises are crucial.

Hope you get to the bottom of your pains.

ps. Only got to see the lakes from hospital window! :roll: typical of me
    Arty :)
    Hope today is a good day for you