100% Brassed Off

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 24. Feb 2011, 11:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Do I feel better for having acknowledged it? Actually, no. Nothing to do with arthritis, although without it I’d probably go for a long run or scrub some cupboards out or find some other equally exhausting method of whooshing the old endorphins up a notch or two. As it is I guess I’ll just have to trawl the dictionary for a few new expletives. The old ones don’t seem to be working properly. Can anyone lend me some of theirs please?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well Stickey there's a couple which can even be spat out in front of children that I'm quite fond of :lol:

1. Sugeration

2. Bugs bunny

You'll have to practise to express the full extent of your frustrations but it can be done :lol:

Cherry x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, sticky, I resort to spitting out 'ess, dee, bee eff!' which is ****, damn, ****** and ****. Very handy. I recommend Viz's Profanisaurus for some other choice words or phrases, or the new dictionary of slang (but that is prohibitively expensive). I am so sorry, I hope that things improve soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Oh Sticky

I only know extremely rude ones and am not really allowed to post them :oops:

I do hope you feel better soon though :sad:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I reckon you might know some good Hungarian ones. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    fiddlesticks :lol:

hope you feel better tomorrow.

juliepf x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thank you one and all. You’re all very kind and I much appreciate that. However, my current mood requires not so much something that could be said in front of the children as something which would shock a prop forward.

I’ve tried to work my way out of it by getting my cardio-vascular system going with some step ups but the edge of the step’s a bit wonky so I only got to 50 before skidding off sideways into the coats which gave me a nice soft landing (Husband “What are you doing down there?”) so then I had a long, furious canter on my mechanical horse but I’d have preferred the scarily unpredictable Ruby or, better still, lovely, nuzzly big man Crispin.

**** all that, it’ll just have to be the cabernet sauvignon.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that, stickywicket. Off for a glass of dry, crisp white meself (to compliment the fish fingers, of course.) I hope matters improve - I don't like to think of you being at odds with the world, not in this way, anyway. DD
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi sticky

I've had much the same day myself and do find this little fella helps!!!

t2424.gif t2424.gift2424.gif

What did you say when you tried to kick the plug and missed? :lol: Sorry I couldn't resist but you do seem to be hanging on to your sense of humour. Hang in there. I really hope things improve soonish. Take care
    Chris
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh chris7 I like him! Very expressive, methinks. This one's good too:

u055.gif Wish I could move like that! DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Chris, when I kicked the plug I said “Oh sh.-- & directed my fall towards the chair. Easy peasy. Unfortunately this isn’t an ‘oh sh—‘ situation. I’m watching a very much-loved family member going from a bad situation into one that may, eventually, be slightly better or much worse but which will inevitably hurt him a lot anyway. And I’m 5,000 miles away and can do sweet F.A. to help – for another month at least.

However, I’m made of rubber, apart from the stainless steel and plasticky bits, so I bounce. Not so much Pollyanna as Pollyfilla.

Thanks for your support everyone.
    Steven Wright
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sticky,

Its difficult when someone you care about is going through hell so far from you. I hope that will get easier for him quicker than you think.

I agree one word is often not enough..... i sky rant and well some is swearing cus i do a bit but the rest is just yelling at the fates for the injustice they seem to dish out too much. It helps sometimes and if you have close neighbours you might want to do it in the dead of night... quietly :wink:

i don't and let rip anytime...... If \i ever move I shall have to reeducate my self.....

Hope your soon find things get a bit easier and leaving a ((( ))) Cris x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi sticky

Just to say I am thinking about you.

Juliepf xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    Hope you are ok & things are improving
    My word is shoot well it was when kids were little :wink:
    Maria x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    hi
    Sorry mine are very rude...I just say them under my breath :evil
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Barbara12, Maria09, Julie47 and skezier - thank you very much for your offers and kind thoughts.

Barbara - I don't think muttering under my breath would have done the trick yesterday. I think what I really needed was skezier's sky rant. I’ve now cooled off somewhat and accepted I can do nothing much from here. It’s the sheer impotence that bugs me. That plus my lovely other half is a born worrier so I’m the one that usually keeps the optimism pot topped up. When we’re both nattered about the same thing the optimism level drops alarmingly quickly, I reach the point where I can’t take any more negativity and the poor fellow gets very short shrift if he needs to keep talking about it.

Skezier, did you actually mean to type ‘sky rant’? I’ve never come across the phrase before but it’s a great concept. I suspect, for maximum effect, it should be done on bleak, open moorland with arms raised and in a howling gale. Haven’t done anything like that since I was a kid so I’m long overdue a ‘sky rant’. I shall think of you next time I’m on the moors and have one for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Sky rants bring out your inner Cathy. Every woman has an inner Cathy I reckon. I just need to find a glowering Heathcliff however to really let go - a bloke who's blonde and 5'3" just doesn't quite do it.

I can understand why you are fretting - don't use up too much valuable energy on it though, it's not as if you can change the events that have happened, are happening and are yet to happen. I am thinking of you. DD
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Sticky,

You can't beat a good sky rant! :lol: i didn't as a kid, was very withdrawn.

I learned to sky rant on November 10th 1998..... I lost a lamb that day and had spent months making her live... she then seemed fine till one day her gut perforated and i have never yelled at the fates with more venom than that day.....#

kinda helps.....

Now its become a 4x a week thing at least and the fates might listen or then again they might not :wink:

Yep this place is open and more like with bleakness and howling winds.... i don't ware the long dresses ..... but... I could......

Hope so much your feeling less like exploding today and stupid to say but try not to worry too much flower. Cris x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    Sorry to hear that, yes tis hard worrying about family when they are so far away and you feel kinda helpless to offer any real comfort or support Phones, emails and such don't quite do the same as a real hug in those situations, so no wonder you are feeling frustrated and worried. All you can do is let them know you are listening when they need you. My sis is not so far away but might as well be on the moon for all I can get to her easily. :roll: When she had a long rough patch looking after our Dad, I used to send her a thinking of you card once a week and a silly little pressie a tube of smarties, a silly photo of us as kids, a packet of seeds for the garden, just any random bit of nonsense really. But 5,000 miles is a tad of a disadvantage eh!! Hope you can think of some way to reach out and feel less impotent with it all.

In the meantime the sky rants look very appealing to me. :grin: Think Cris should patent them before they catch on. I really hope things improve for your family. Hang in there.
    Chris
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Chris,

i think I probably should patten them before I get taken by a section 2 :lol::lol: Good to not have neighbours ...... xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    DD – I’m with you 100% on not fretting about what you can’t change. Just occasionally, when the person/situation is very special I make an exception and review things to ensure I’ve looked at all angles. I’ve reviewed and I’ve now accepted I can do nothing so it’s all on the back burner.

Skezier – your situation with the little lamb must have been heartbreaking and deserving of as much venom as you could muster.

Chris7 – thank you for your support. We do, normally, have a long weekly session on the webcam but the situation itself is making that tricky at the minute. Thank God for email.

I was going to say OK, this thread has served its purpose, over and out but, as I’m typing, the husband of a close friend has rung in a terrible state to say he found her dead this morning. She had severe Muscular Dystrophy and wasn’t destined for a long life but she was only in her 50s and not unusually ill. We used to ride together. I have to tell all the RDA crowd plus my cousins who know her from church. I’m sure I’ll be OK but it’s a bit of a shock and my hands are shaking as I type. I might still need you guys.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh stickywicket, I am so, so sorry. How utterly awful. What a shock. We'll be here, you know that. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks once again, DD. I’ve had a very busy day and I’m totally cream crackered now – which was the object of the exercise. By the time I’ve prepared a meal and washed it down with the rest of the Merlot (Georgina would expect nothing less) I’ll be crawling into bed and sleeping like the proverbial. Poor Mike, though. I really feel for him.
    Steven Wright