Thumbs

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 25. Feb 2011, 16:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I've been having problems for a while with my thumbs. It's at the fleshy bit on each hand. It feels like the tendon or ligament is snapping. My fingers, especially the right ring finger are feeling tight and pulling in to palm. Hope this is making sense! My thumbs are really getting sore and they are tender to touch. Anyone get this/had this?
thanks,
Magenta x

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Eileen,

When do you get seen again? I know you told me but i seem to forget things so easy now a days.

I get lots of inflammation in the hands and fingers, some of which are turning over a bit now as well but that don't mean its the same so can't really help.

Just wanted to drop in a ((((( ))))) and a hope it will soon back off for you,. Cris xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi there

I have had problems with my thumbs and the base of the thumb is quite deformed and no longer give me much jip now. I was told they had got as bad as they would get, oh joy! This is OA that I have. I no longer have the full range of movement in the thumbs as "normal" people but get along ok and manage. Do you think you may have trigger finger in your finger? I was diagnosed with that in both thumbs by a hand surgeon and a small op rectified that. You could google trigger finger if you think this may be the problem. I am sorry that you have this as it is unpleasant.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Cris and Elnafinn,
    Hope you are both well. Elna, how's your Mum these days? Hope she is also well.

Dunno if it's trigger finger, they are not being pulled towards the palm as much as trigger finger suggests. When I'm moving my hand, something in my thumb moves. I can only describe it as it feels like an elastic band snapping back into shape???

I'm not due at rhuemy till 8th March-not long I know but don't think they'll do much-they aren't wanting to help me with my jaw so think they might discharge me-again!!!! We'll see.
    Magenta x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Magenta

Thank you for asking after my mum. She is alright now. Unbelieveble I know, I can hardly believe it myself, sometimes. She went through so much, made of strong stuff, obviously!

I hope your rheumy listens to you and tries to help. Hopefully you will be happily surprised.

Luv
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Elna,
    I've now got pain across the bae of palm and travelling up the other side of hand-up to my little finger. Something is obviously 'not right'. It's sore but bearable but I'll tell the rhuemy anyway,
    Thanks,
    Magenta x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I definitely think you should mention it, Magenta, as you say something is not right. You also do not get these rheumy appointments very often, so best make the most of the "session". Do let us know what he says.

Luv
    Elna x

• jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Hi Eileen , sorry to see you are still in the wars , not got an answer to your problems . I have had the same probs with my hands my thumb is sore all the time and my hands are swelled , my tendons have been really sore they itch to. Sorry i havent been in touch i have been really ill . We seem to still have all the same troubles . Hope you get sorted soon it must be getting you down ............jilly ...aliceaxx
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi,
    Jilly, nice to see you again. Sorry you've not been well. I can't believe it that we both have the same problems and it's always at the same time. I feel that no matter what goes wrong with me, no-one tries to find a solution.
    Elna, I now do think I have trigger thumb!!

My only help I get these days is from my GP, one that I never went to before but by chance had an appointment with him and he's been great.

This is my new dilemma. I now have pain all across my palms and the whole carpal tunnel thing going on. Pain running from my thumbs to my wrists and up my arm. Also have numbness in little and ring fingers. I had this last year too. Do I go to my GP about it now or wait to the rhuemy appt. on the 8th March?
    I hope everyone well,
    Magenta x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We are not you, we cannot feel the pain or really understand how much trouble it is causing you - only you can determine that. Neither are we doctors so we cannot tell you what things might or might not be. It is so troublesome isn't it? Any little ache or pain an we are left wondering if it's to do with the arthritis, or something new - grrrrrrrrrrr! :smile: I tend to use the following as a guide - if I can manage then I hang on until the next appointment. If I cannot then I contact the relevant people. I hope things start to improve for you soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Eileen

For sure yo should get it checked out if you are worried! I tend to think Elna's theory is one I would have thought of too and something can be done. My Ex MIL has had jabs in hers and it really DOES help her

Love

Toni xx
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi again,
    It is bearable so methinks I'll wait till rhuemy appointment. Not long away. It's just very annoying and I feel that every other day I'm getting a new pain. Thanks for all your replies,
    Magenta x