Weight matters!

seamonkey
seamonkey Member Posts: 323
edited 25. Feb 2011, 12:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning all,
I have started my diet finally! Todays the day. I am hoping that if i lose 2 stone i will feel alot better, mobility wise and about myself. Does any one have any inspiration for me? Have you lose weight to the benefit of your mobility? I lost 3 stone a few years ago and im doing the same diet this time. Ive put on so much weight since ive been struggling that i really need to lose some. I have also on docs advice bought a yoga dvd, im hoping to improve flexability etc. If i lose some weight and it helps my back and legs then i can hopefully start going for walks again. Its time i was proactive instead of sitting back letting it take me over. :smile:
Seamonkey

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Seamonkey

Just want to wish you well with this on your first day of change. I do hope that today is a good day for you and spurs you on to continue. If you do have the odd bad day do not give up, but start again. It will become easier if you have the determination which I think you have. Keep thinking of those walks you will be able to go on like you used to do.
    As you say, you have done it before and you will achieve your goal again.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • seamonkey
    Thanks Elna, its great to hear that you think i have the determination. Thank you for posting, I hope your having a good day.
    seamonkey
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Good luck with your diet
    Keep us posted
    Maria x
  • seamonkey
    maria
    I will do its a cheaper alternative than paying afortune for a meeting!
    Im hoping haveing to tell others how ive done will spur me on!
    Seamonkey
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Morning seamonkey
    Sounds like you have got a positive attitude and a goal to aim for.
    I want to wish you luck .
    Please keep us informed of how you progress and the effect it has had on your mobility.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Hi Seamonkey,
    Good for you! Well done on making the decision to lose weight. I'm sure you will do well, just keep in mind all the things you will be able to do and if you're anything like me all the things you can wear again instead of being stuck at the back of the wardrobe!!
    Well done again Seamonkey hugs
    Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi seamonky,

Good on you for going for it! Its got to be better for the joints to have less weight on them and certainly its better for your back to have less hanging on it though i also find it can be a bit more painful in another way with less weight on me.

I really hope you can hold the determination, something I seem unable to do at the moment but need to badly.....

As Elna said you have the determination else you wouldn't have said here that your were going for it and this lot will give you a lot of encouragement as well flower. Cris x
  • seamonkey
    Thank you all, big celebration when my trousers feel loser!
    This time next week ill be a little lighter. :smile:
    Any one who wants to join me, the more the better, we can keep each other spurred on!
    Seamonkey
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi seamonky,

Will try if you like... got a crohn's flare just now so should be able to get some off..... kinda cheating though but....

I used to use a very specific diet and it worked well but what i got to do is get moving faster and well lost a lot of muscle to this bone shift of late so

Your on..... Will do my best and help you all i can. Cris x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Seamonkey, I hope it all goes well for you. I've never seriously dieted but I can vouch for the walks making you feel better. I can't walk much but always feel better when I've got the old joints moving - well, apart from yesterday but that was a bit different. Go for it. We're all backing you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi again Seamonkey

Do let us know how you are doing! Keep calling in here especially if you are having one of those five minutes when you would like to raid the biccy tin or similar. If you keep your finger typing you will not be able to pick the "no, no" food up, will you? We will talk you through it until that has passed. :smile:

Good for you, is what I say. You have a good few weeks before the weather should become more pleasant for walking.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Wishing you loads of luck , seamonkey , if I can lose 2 stone sat sitting here in a wheelchair , I have every confidence that you will reach your goal in no time ! Stay positive and keep at it . Jillyb
  • Rashine
    Rashine Member Posts: 33
    Just wanted to wish you Good Luck.

I've also started on a new diet so fingers crossed.
    However I have had lapses before, so perhaps having others to help keep on the straight and narrow is a good idea!
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Good for you Seamonkey :smile:

I'm only slim 'cos I have no appetite for food which is equally bad as being a tad overweight.

Maybe the spring will bring better things and I wish you every success with your new eating pattern.

Cherry x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Seamonkey

Congratulations on your decision!!

My Sis who has OA lost 6 and half stone the year before last.

So far she has kept if off pretty well too.

It has not totaly solved her joints, but she feels they are better for it. She has still had two steriod jabs and some insiles for her feet.

She started slowly just with not eating rubbish and after a while added a slow walk - remember if you are doing No exercise anything will help.

I am so proud of her.

The main thing is determination - and you have clearly got that :grin:

Love

toni xx
  • seamonkey
    Thankyou all once again, i am humbled by the amount of replies.
    No failing now or the embarassment will kill me! :smile:
    I hope to add a walk into it when the weather makes it doable. Not today then! My yoga dvd should be here soon which will mean i have something at home i can try. Someones looking out for me though, i made flapjack for kids today but left it in far too long and it totally burnt! Means i cant have any though. :lol:
    Seamonkey
  • kickyloo
    kickyloo Member Posts: 66
    Good luck seamonkey!
    After putting on 3 stone whilst on steroids i have managed to loose it all now (took about 8 months). i didnt do anything drastic, just moved more and ate less. just remember any small change will help towards your goal. dont feel you have to run marathons or gym it for hours; lord knows it can be hard anyway without artur trying to scuper us. i did yoga too - just 15 mins a day.
    so best of luck!
    x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Well done so far Seamonkey

You WILL succeed :wink:

Love

toni xx
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    This is not a diet, just a sensible way to eat. I am not much good at walking but I can cycle with my electric bike, non-weightbearing exercise, which means I can get into my trousers of many years ago, just as well since my recent ones are too large, hows that for encouraging you?

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • seamonkey
    Your right dieting isnt the answer. i wouldnt be needing to start thinking about a (diet) if i had been eating sensibly. Im going to call it healthy eating from now on! My doc mentioned cycling machine but im just not convinced i would be able to do it with my back and legs? Worth a try though.
    Well done those of you who have managed to lose weight. It certainly isnt easy and i know how it feels to not get into clothes. Im atounded at how quick it can happen.
    seamonkey
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Hi seamonkey,
    I joined WW at the beginning of January and am doing really well - they have bought out a new programme which is not a 'diet' but a healthier eating plan for life.
    Basically nothing is banned, all food and drinks have a Propoints value, you just have a set amount of Propoints to eat each day and so long as you don't 'go over' you lose weight! Plus you have an extra weekly amount which is great for things like meals out, treats etc :smile:

I have nothing to gain personally from recommending WW, its just so easy to follow. I joined online, which is especially good for anyone who cannot get to meetings (or who doesn't want to go!).

Anyway, good luck with your weight loss journey :smile:
  • seamonkey
    It is more or less the WW im doing my mum gave me all the stuff years ago so i stick to points value which i calculate easy enough, im glad you are doing good with it, well done, its not easy. Yoga dvd arrived today so ill be leaping around in no time. :lol: Im actually feeling alot less bloated etc just from these past 3 days of cutting back. Ive been under the weather though so not had much appetite. I couldnt weigh myself as that would just depress me so im just waiting untill i notice a difference.
    Thanks for your input always great to hear others stories
    Seamonkey