What do you have in your attic????

Options
lupin15
lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
edited 28. Feb 2011, 05:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well i had a fun filled afternoon yesterday up in our attic. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: It had to be done...had no floor!!!!couldn't see it for all the stuff that had gone up there over the years when we did work on the house. :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
We had paint...various colours kept...just in case!!!!
pieces of wood...
a piece of lino
Printer
scanner
fax machine...don't ask never used it.
Puzzles
games
lino square.
tiles (bathroom ones for the wall)
Chair
hard board (loads)
various exercise machines...now unable to use.
loads of cardboard boxes (a really bad habit from moving around when hubby was in the army)
paper work
cars without remotes...what has happened to them is unknown (3)
Various cables for computers and more, chargers...
Boxes of vids
video player
empty cd boxes
pc games
boxes of bits and pieces.

I managed to get rid of a load of stuff to help the environment by placing an advert on a local facebook site. The lad took all the paint and wood plus the cars for his kids and exercise stuff. The rest went to landfill which i felt really bad about.

Left with a huge space that was filled with.......baby stuff for my daughter who is due 1st August. That stuff will not be staying.

What do you have in yours???? Do you know?

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    In our attic ( ie the room above our heads ) we have a family with a cat , dog and 3 budgies . You guessed it ; we live in a flat , it's just the upstairs neighbours ! Jillyb
  • katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    Options
    when we moved into our new house 5 years ago i had ideas to turn our attic into a room for the kids. when we went up there to have a look it's just completely full of beams!

no - we didn't check it out before we bought because it was a new build but i thought we would at least be able to stand up in there - cant believe it!

Katie x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Bats we have bats and wasps in the summer, I was up there one day and was moving stuff about I had one hand on the roof batern and this bloody bat flew out out went under my arm and back up in the roof on the other side, I nearly fell through the ceiling with shock, I thought for a second it was a swarm of wasps!.
    On and while were talking about wasps DONT go up in a roof in the day if you think you might have a nest up there wait until it's dark before you do, and even then only go up if you know what your doing,it can be very dangerous if you don't respect the littlew buggers, another way to find them is to look around the outside of your roof if you see a slow stream of flying insects coming and going from one spot then bingo you've found them. If you want to know how to get shot of em then PM me and I'll give you some pointers for free!.
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Options
    i have so much junk in my loft,we are planning to sort it out thursday half for bootfair and half freecycle i expect,most of its books and baby stuff,i also have a chair and printer every loft has either an unwanted odd chair or a printer lol
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I don't know.........daren't look :shock: :shock:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I have a strange little man up there, he likes alcohol and watching tv.....
    We also live in a flat :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Whatever we have up there is probably going to stay there. I have some wonderful Christmas decorations and a few bags of very old clothes. I dunno what else is there, I cannot remember. It will remain as the loft access is a VERY small hatch (no ladder) and Mr DD is now of such girth he won't fit - plus I suspect he can no longer execute the necessary gymnastics to launch himself from the top of the stepladder to sitting on the edge of the hatch. (He is not of the Mr Creosote ilk, it IS a very small hatch, about 26" square.) This is one of the odd occasions where having a teenage son built like a whippet would have been useful. We will have to borrow one from somewhere. (male child, not whippet) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    We dont have an attic so our double garage is the attic & its full :!:
    Even though last summer we decluttered obviously not enough!
    Even got a coal bunker in there from previous owners anyone want it :?:
    Luckily no mice or bats
    But lots of big spiders well not that big but they freak me out :shock:
    Ive always wanted an attic room with sound proofing so my two can have their mates round & music blearing good job we have a detached house coz im sure all of us would drive the neighbours mad with our music :!:
  • lupin15
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Whatever we have up there is probably going to stay there. I have some wonderful Christmas decorations and a few bags of very old clothes. I dunno what else is there, I cannot remember. It will remain as the loft access is a VERY small hatch (no ladder) and Mr DD is now of such girth he won't fit - plus I suspect he can no longer execute the necessary gymnastics to launch himself from the top of the stepladder to sitting on the edge of the hatch. (He is not of the Mr Creosote ilk, it IS a very small hatch, about 26" square.) This is one of the odd occasions where having a teenage son built like a whippet would have been useful. We will have to borrow one from somewhere. (male child, not whippet) DD

Now have a metal picture of a Man part way through a ceiling ...stuck and shouting for help...one foot on the top of a wobbling ladder and the other waving around trying to find the top of the ladder. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    We also have loads of spiders webs and HUGE SPIDERS.
    They have a gym so have big muscles... :grin::grin::grin::grin:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    We are common so only have a loft..well two actually as we have an extension with it's own.....? that is empty for sure as we had squirrels up there the summer before last :shock:

Some very interesting things up yours folks.....fat men watching Tv...etc etc....

Love

toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    bags and bags of size 8 clothes I can no longer wear, shoes that no longer fit, photos, books, magazines(gym and scooters),curtains, broken down beds,my 1978 Jam ticket , all my divorce related papers in a massive box,old bits and bobs the OH won't throw away and my valuable collection of dolls.
    I cannot see them for myself so hope he hasnt thrown them all away without me knowing.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    30 odd years of accumulated rubbish.........

Several large boxes of christmas decorations.......mosty never used......(but they were such good bargains)

Gun security cabinet with selection of flintlock and percussion rifles and shotguns.......

Ammunition cabinet........... .308 (7.62mm of military types) ammunition, solid and softnose.......

Ditto for .223 (or 5.56 for militaries).....

Ditto .222

Ditto in .22 rimfire......

Several thousand rounds of 12, and 20 bore shotgun cartridges...

4 + kilo's of black powder (gunpowder)......for old rifles and shotguns......

Police like it kept in the attic......

If it 'goes up' only blows the roof off.....not the whole house.....

Goose, Duck, pigeon decoys......

One or two (well probably 20+) fishing rods......

And all associated reels etc.....

Lewis' collection of action men...........tanks, cars, trucks and several boxes of AM clothes....

Apart from that lot.................Its nearly empty

Just 'normal' stuff I guess...
    Roba045.gif
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    I am blissfully unaware of what is in our attic and absolutely no way am i able to get up there and have a look!
    Seamonkey
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    All my daughters dolls
    Clothes
    Xmas tree etc
    Games
    Books (annuals)
    Records.
    Video recorders
    Cases
    Ornaments.
    Photos
    Wedding dress
    Thats what should be up there anyway plus lots more....Haven't been in a loft for 20 years.

Oh yes and a train track...........redundant.....
    was a good idea at the time......But his bikes won him back :roll:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    My lover :wink:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    my son that where his bedroom is
    the one above bathroom well 7 berth tent, cooker, kettle, pans ect, wine making stuff sledge,2 fans, and not sure what else now want to look whos idea was this lol
    val
  • lindalegs
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    lindalegs wrote:
    My lover :wink:
    Really?

Yep ........trouble is can't climb the ladder to get at him :roll: :shock: :lol:
    Love, Legs x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    yes Linda
    and his chain is too short for him to climb down the ladder to reach you

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    yes Linda
    and his chain is too short for him to climb down the ladder to reach you

Elizabeth

So he's chained up Elizabeth, that explains such a lot ............I thought he'd gone off me :wink:
    Love, Legs x
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    Interesting, I never thought to put mine in the attic.... he's still chained to the bed!

I have nothing in my attic apart from the insulation. We're going to do it up in a couple of years and make it into another bedroom. I know what you're all thinking, but I have no junk, if it's NOT:

- beautiful
    - useful
    - seriously sentimental

It either gets given to charity, sold, recycled or thrown away. Honestly.
    Nxx

PS - And we're bringing up our girls the same
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Rehab

i keep my bodie in the cellar.....far better and really much more 'in keeping'

Like your idea Linda, but Nina

I like yours FAR better :grin:
  • lupin15
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Rehab

They keep better that way...much cooler. Attic to hot in the summer...terrible smell. Umm much check the other side of the attic today if i get time...only done half of it.
  • maggiemay
    maggiemay Member Posts: 122
    Options
    MICE!!!!!!!!
    Dirty sods
    enjoying the heat from our winters
    Plenty of mousetraps down but non caught

Mags
  • frogmorton
    Options
    lupin15 wrote:
    frogmorton wrote:
    Rehab

They keep better that way...much cooler. Attic to hot in the summer...terrible smell. Umm much check the other side of the attic today if i get time...only done half of it.

Indeed!

Quite right! I will have to make some space for the workman who failed to turn up this morning....IF he is foolish enough to arrive THIS late....... :evil
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    A very comfortable spare bed with an en-suite bathroom :smile:

Its a lovely room and would have contemplated it for our room if it wasn't for the stairs!!!

I love this house the only thing is the people before us converted every last inch of space into something .....bedroom, bathroom, loo. So there is absolutely no storage..... well thats my excuse for all the mess!!!!
    Chrissie