Fibro and Anti-depressants

Options
hels78
hels78 Member Posts: 60
edited 1. Mar 2011, 11:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
I have recently been given a diagnosis of Fibro to go with my UIA/poss PsA.
The nurse at the hospital who gave me the diagnosis said that there isn't really a treatment for it although exercise should help (I should be so lucky!).
Anyway I saw the GP today and discussed it with him as it is my neck that is the main problem at the moment which is affecting my sleep (even with sleeping tablets) and we are having a much needed few days away soon and was hoping for some help with it.
He has prescribed 20mg Citalopram a day for a month and then to go back and see him.
He explained that the anti-depressants help to relax the muscles etc that are tightening and causing the fibro pains, which if it works, is fine by me. However I think I am just a bit shocked to find myself on anti-depressants when I was maybe expecting a different type of topical gel or at most a soft collar!! Has anyone else tried this treatment? Does it work? I have had one pill but feel a bit sick, although I am sure that is just me getting myself het up!
Any words or wisdom will be greatfully received! x

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hels

don't feel bad it can help my ex MIL was on them for fibro and was really pleased with the result.

There are other things wich can help too, but this is a good start.

Others with more direct knowlegde than me will be along soon I hope.

Love

toni xx
  • hels78
    Options
    Thank you xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 24. Feb 2011, 12:58
    Options
    I haven't had direct experience of this (I did have a course of citalopram a few years ago for depression) but I know that some drugs 'overlap' in what they treat: I wouldn't fret too much about the fact that you are taking an anti-dep - let's hope it helps the fibro. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Hels

I have not been prescribed this drug but the body can take time to get used to new meds. You may well find that any symptoms you get in the first week or so, diminish or go away, in time.

I do hope they work for you and you can really enjoy your few days away in the near future.

Your gp wishes to keep an eye on you and has asked you to see him again in one month. If you are really do not feel happy about taking them, for whatever reason, in a couple of weeks you could always make an earlier appointment to see him and have a chat about it.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Options
    Hi there, I'm on citalopram for depression, have been for some time, I've never noticed it helping with my neck or with sleeping, but hey you may be different. As to feeling sick the doc should've told you that you can feel a bit queasy for the first week, it will go. I have RA, osteo and fibro and often get a bad neck and can't sleep, nothing really works for me unfortunately, hopr you're more fortunate, good luck.

Sue x
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Hi,
    Not had citlopram- but I dont sleep well, cant get comfy for pain in my neck most of the time, but then when I do fall to sleep wake up shortly after! Anyway I do take Amitriptyline and when things are really bad diazepam, which the dr prescribed as a muscle relaxant to stop the painful spasms. Hope your pills work for because tiredness is awful and you can well do without whilst you are away
    Cath
  • angelg2
    angelg2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Hels
    I have Fibro and OA , I take Amitryptiline which at doses up to 75mg is for nerve pain and to aid sleep, over 75mg it is an anti depressant .At present I take 10mg or 20 mg . So this is probably the case with yours too , it does take a while for them to work and for the initial symptoms to ease, sometimes 6 weeks upwards. If you find this drug continues to make you feel queasy then tell your Gp as we are all different and do not all match the same drugs ,he can then change dosage or type for you .
    Also a warm hot water bottle or wheat bag on the neck can help release the contracted muscles .
    Angel
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi

My situation totally different from yours but I do take diazepam an anti depressant occasionally on top of my daily and usual anti dep. for muscle spasms which are excrutiating when they hit but thankfully short lived. They are a muscle relaxant and certainly work for me. Think of your new med. it as a muscle relaxant which they are instead of an anti depressant if it helps you get your head round things. Hope they do help you. Take care
    Chris
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Hels
    I cannot comment on your new meds as I am not on them.
    I just want to say I hope they help.
    Anything is worth a try.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • hels78
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    I am still feeling sick today so think that is due to the medication rather than me fretting. Hopefully it will settle soon as I don't want this whilst I am on holiday! Still feeling a bit :cry: about the whole situation but hope that things will improve in time xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hels

anti-deressants can make you feel a bit queasy, but this should settle. Imake sure l get extra rest if l can and sleep too. l also snack a little during the day - that makes me feel a good bit better!

Hope it does go off very soon for you.

Love

Toni xx
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Hi Hels,

I hope that the anti-depressant meds work for you. I was offered them for my Fibro (diagosed with it last week!) however, I've declined as I'm on such a cocktail of meds, I really can't take any more as the ones I'm taking are making me unwell as it is. :cry: I hope that your side effects settle down and that you feel the benefits. 8) xx
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    hi hels,

im on the same anti depresants, ive just been upped to 30mg. been on 20mg for some time. they did make me feel a bit quesy at first so i used to eat a biscuit and that helpped, it takes a couple of weeks to start to kick in but they should help. i hope you stick with them and they work for you xxx my new dr said today i had fibro and wrote it on my sick note along with OA, first time ive had it said for definate/
  • awatson
    awatson Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi

I take citalopram also started off on 20 mg now just had it increaed to 40mg, pregabalin and dihydrocodine. Dont be hung up on the fact they are anti depressants. If it helps take it, but if you find they dont work try something else, I have tried various meds since last July and think I may have found it in dihydrocodine. I have had Fibro since July last year but dont cope well on daily basis.
    A Watson
  • coco67
    Options
    ive just been told officialy i have fibro also. will have to do some research now as i dont know to much about it.

i hope the meds start helping soon Hels xx
  • hels78
    Options
    Thanks all for your help and kind words.
    After a rough few days and some vomiting I contacted the GP who said that they obviously weren't agreeing with me and has told me to stop them immediately.
    I have an appointment booked for a few weeks time so will discuss what to do next then.
    I really do appreciate all the support x
  • coco67
    Options
    im sorry they didnt work for you Hels, hopefully they will find something that will. dont be put off by the label anti depresant as a lont of them are used for pain also ok. hope your feeling better soon xxx
  • hels78
    Options
    Thanks Coco xx