NSAID ? What is the most effective?

Options
Firemanphil_39
Firemanphil_39 Member Posts: 66
edited 25. Feb 2011, 11:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Been on my 15mg of meth about 10 weeks now... No sickness etc.. Had a week off it when I had a bit of a cheery cough.. Was on 40mg of prednisolone instead! WOW felt ace ( especially with a couple of drinks aswell)

Anyway, ankle swelling has crept back... Saw rheumy today and he categorically wouldn't give me any pred short term, and has increased my weekly meth to 20mg per week. ( want the inflammation away for next week as I'm being seen by a doctor employed by the fire brigade )

So is there anything more effective than 50mg x3 of diclofenac daily?

I'll be seeing my gp as soon as ( book in the blood tests )

Take care... Seems spring is round the corner!
Phil

Comments

• jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi firemanphil,

This is tough as with most drugs we all have different preferences! i took diclofenac in the early days of diagnosis but found that they didnt have much affect so was switched onto naproxen - which were pretty good (though being completely honest and blunt they do make you constipated if you take too many!) after i had some liver problems i was taken off all my meds (as they couldnt decide which one was causing it - taking naproxen and ciclosporin at the time btw)
    I've since taken celebrex and find them pretty good 2.

I'm sure if you ask your rheumy and are unhappy with the diclofenac they will be able to recommend something else.

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This has an easy answer: what suits one won't suit another. You have to try various ones to find out which works for you, which is time-consuming but necessary. Pred is not an NSAID (which is why they work). I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Firemanphil_39
    Firemanphil_39 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Many thanks, I'll try and get something different and give it a go... Cheers
  • Rictina
    Rictina Member Posts: 95
    Options
    I take Diclofenac 50mg 3 times daily & will be very intrested to see how this thread goes.
    Live the dream not dream the life.

sfsf.jpg
  • caroldeeg
    caroldeeg Member Posts: 51
    Options
    I have bad OA. Have had it since I was in my early 30s. At the moment I take Meloxicam, I know they give it to horses too but it works, I also take Quinoric which is a drug for RA but it certainly helps me,
    I have had Naproxin which was good but upset my liver and Celebrex which was great but they took me off it when there was a scare about it.
    Diclofenic is good but upsets lots of tummies,
    Hope this helps
    Carol :grin:
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Have been on 12.5mg metho weekly for the past few years.How effective it is is difficult to judge have tried cutting it out,but the pain and consequent mobility can vary so much from day to day even when taking it regularly. :???:
    My rheumy nurse didn't think all my ankle swelling was due to my OA and may be exacerbating things.She put me on 1mg Bumetanide daily,it seems to reduce the swelling but hasn't had any appreciable effect on the pain. :sad:
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I was on dihydrocodiene, paracetamol and nabumatone for years, that combo did work well for a while but my body pretty much got used to it and I ended up having to pop the dihydro's like smarties to get the slightest relief.
    Now on 75mg diclofenic show release twice a day, full eight paracetamol and 50mg tramadol, two for times a day.. On a really good day it makes it manageable but on days like today I feel like I might as well not bother with them... I know if I dint take em I would notice the difference for sure.. Just a bit fed up when it's like this.. Pain clinic tried me on the morphine tablets but they were vile.
    Will be having a good discussion with the rheumy nurse on the 18th next month re pain.. :roll:
    God I sound grumpy today... :roll: :roll:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Phil,

It really is trial and error. Diclo's do a good job on my inflammation but nothing for the pain. I have tried a whole raft of other nsaid's but the inflammation tends to work better with them than any of the others. That's the s/r ones the 3x a day ones i don't find so effective.

Hope your gp can come up with a combination that works for you soon. Cris x

Hey DD preds don't work for me at all bone wise. In fact they make them worse. xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Phil

I have tried a few and liked diclos bEST of all but they gave me the two-bob-bits :oops:

Am on arcoxia now.

Can you add elevation of the leg to try to lessen any swelling and maybe ice??

Love

toni xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hi Firemanphil.
    i take diclofenic i also take a tummy protector as well.
    and cocodamol.
    good luck. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi,

As the others have said- we all react differently to different meds. Arcoxia works well for me - inflammation and painwise, but I have OA.

As well as meds - apply RICE, good old fashioned rest, ice, compression and elevation to your ankle.

Good luck with doc app.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.