pain killers

Options
katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
edited 28. Feb 2011, 05:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone been given anything stronger than co codomol? im in a lot more pain than usual and they have no effect,i just wondered if the doctor would be able to give me something stronger :sad:

Comments

• katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi Kat

I'm taking co-codomol at mo and no its not having the desired effect the last few weeks - off to doctors on monday to report new pains in my hands and wrists :cry:

hope you feel better soon

Katie x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    There are a few things stronger hun but most come with side effects of some description or other...
    I was on Dihydrocodiene for donkey's years, very good at pain relief when I started taking them but by the end I was having to take them eight at a time (recommended daily dose is only ten) twice a day and then another three in the morning and at night, quite addictive too, had 3 weeks of Hell when my idiot of a GP decided it would be fine if I just stopped taking them one day, no weaning off them or anything...
    Over the years before them I had been on a few different ones though, I just wanted to give you a cautionary tale..

Best wishes hun..

This was my personal experience obviously.. :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What strength cocos are you taking? I started on 8/500 then graduated to 30/500 (they are my usual day-to-day pain dullers). When they are not enough I can then move to 50mg tramadol (they are morphine-based, some people cannot take them) but I use those at night as they do make me sleepy. If things are really bad I turn to 100mg tramadol slow-release, but I keep these as 'treats' - why use up all my options at this stage? This pestilence has years to go yet and I need summat in reserve! There are other meds out there, you need to talk to your GP. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Kat

you need to chat to your doc I think.....I have tried afair bit over the years and find a good anti-inflmatory coupled with decent aopin releif can be very eeefective. When I had my back op I took two painkillers (tramadol then - can't take 'em now make me sick :oops: ) and then two hours later two anti-inflams then two hours later ainkillers and so on .

I was told you need to get ahead of the pain.

See what the doc advises Kat there are a lot of options....I am using bu-trans patches now.

Love

toni xx
  • MarkC
    MarkC Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi Kat,

I've recently been taking tramadol and paracetamol, which whilst it doesn't take much of my pain away, is more effective for me than co-codamol.

I've been advised by quite a few people to not take tramadol as it can have bad side effects, but I just felt a little light headed (like I'd had a couple too many pints).

It does kinda leave me spaced out so all I can do when taking tramadol is sit on the sofa rtc., not ideal when I've got a job to go to!

Mark
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi mark

l was on tramadol years ago and stopped taking it now I take ONE and I'm sick for two days!!! :oops:

Mark are you 'new' if so welcome to the forums :grin:

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Katnapp, I would echo the advice given here. What strength are the co-codomols? Do you take anti-inflamatories? WOrth a trip to the docs to discuss meds. It can take awhile of tweaking the meds to get the optimum cocktail (!) and dose. You want to take the minimum you can, so that you don't use up all your options in one go, but also it is better to keep on top of the pain than taking meds irregularly as a reaction to it.

SPeedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Kat,

I think it might help to go back to the gp and get either something added in or something else maybe? I know for me co-codomols didn't do a lot but what I was put on helped and has been added to over the years.

Good luck and hope they will either up your dose or else give you something that will help a bit more. Cris x
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi ive been taking slow release tramadol for about 5 or 6 month now, they work for me and i also take ibuprofen when i need to along with gabapentin and propranonol, various quantaties. My doc said trick is to get ahead of pain and then try and stay there. Easily said!
    Wishing you well, go back to doc and see how you get on, theres other stuff that might work better for you, side effects ware off after a while and i found the benefit i had out weighed the side effects.
    Best wishes
    seamonkey
  • sullivt56
    sullivt56 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi Kat Had really bad flare up in August bben on 30/500 co-codomol backed up with tramadol which has quelled the pain.
    Prior to this I was just ticking over with Naproxin which I had been taking for a very long time. Unfortunatly it caused an ulcer and gastritis which is a side effect of this drug.

The co-codomol and tramdol seems to be the combination at the moment for me.

Hope this helps....Good Luck
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Options
    Hi all,thanks for the advice,i think i will go and see the doc on monday,im on 30/500 co codomol,i did try tramadol but i just felt so sleepy and confused which wasnt good when you have a four year old so i had to stop taking them,im just getting so much pain in my wrists and fingers at the mo and its making me so tired even though the doctor is trying to convince me the tiredness comes from depression which is driving me mad!!!!
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Morining Kat,
    I hope the pain today is bareable, I know what you mean about the pain making you tired, when ive been really bad all day i end up begging to go bed at 6pm as i just am exhausted. I have 4 kids and the combination of doing the best you can for them and battling the tiredness if difficult. Rest when you can, if you need an early night have one, often i find just lying down in bed all warm and watching tv helps. it is frustrating when docs say this is causing something when you know its not. Explain again to your doc and it might hit home with him.
    Wishing you all the best today, and really hope you get the rest your body needs.
    take care,
    seamonkey