ORTHOPAEDIC APPOINTMENT AT LAST

Options
prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 1. Mar 2011, 15:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
After months of waiting and over a year of hobbling (ankle OA) am due to see the orthopaedic surgeon this coming Tuesday (1st March) to 'decide my fate'.Whether it will be ankle fusion I've yet to find out. :???:Reading Rob's regular postings on his experiences maybe this road won't be so daunting.
You are such a supportive crowd on the forum,so perhaps some of you could be 'in my pocket' for this day.It's been a very frustrating period of my life,having been so active and now walking with a stick (my OH has been very patient and understanding - bless her).I did manage to get to our local CAMRA beer festival, it did take a lot of determination!! (DD if we ever meet I will buy you a pint - I believe we share a common interest). :roll:
Will keep you posted and send my support to you all especially you 'Worn Out',I've read your postings,but life has a strange habit of sorting itself out - excuse the cliche.
Regards
Ron
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Just one pint? Hmmm, tell you what, make it three and I'll be there on Tuesday. :smile: (just joshing) What time are we required? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    You can count on me Ron

100% behind you or in your pocket as it were!

Will bring either some cooking sherry or martel....depends what's left after the weekend :wink:
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday, Ron. Jot down any questions you have and take the list with you.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Ron
    I have just come out of hospital...well day surgery....and there were two people having ankle fusions...they would be in 3 to 4 days...they are not easy decisions
    We will al be behind you what ever you decide...good luck with everything
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Ron,

Will be there for pocket duties as well and hope it all goes well. Cris x
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Hi Ron,

What time is your appt, I ask this because I am seeing the surgeon on the 1st @ 10:20, time for the stitches to come out, quick review and replace the back slab with a full cast. Hopefully I'll be finished in time for a quick hop over to your pocket.

I'm glad the reports i've been giving are a help to you. Hopefully you get the outcome you want.

Best wishes.

Rob
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Just one pint? Hmmm, tell you what, make it three and I'll be there on Tuesday. :smile: (just joshing) What time are we required? DD

Three pints DD - why not.Must remember not to take my water tablets,don't want to keep RUNNING to the loo,if only! :lol:
    My appointment is,in theory,at 2pm.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • bobbyger
    Options
    2pm, That should give me time to hop from my appt to your pocket.

Where's your appt if you dont mind me asking?
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Hi Ron
    Hope it all goes well, yes I can jump in your pocket, please remember to wear a jacket with lots of pockets cos we will all be there with you!
    Cath
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    bobbyger wrote:
    2pm, That should give me time to hop from my appt to your pocket.

Where's your appt if you dont mind me asking?

My appointment is at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital.I've heard good reports about the surgeon.

Glad you're back on the forum,hope everything continues ok for you.

Ron
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Ron,
    Good luck with your appointment, can I go into the pocket without the smelly cheese, thanks. It’s surprising what people bring with them on pocket duties!!! :lol::lol:
    I hope you manage to get all your questions answered and then you can make an informed decision.
    Take care,
    Lv, Ix
  • lucyjepson
    lucyjepson Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi there, I'm Lucy and had my ankle fused last october. It took me 2 years to agree to the op but I'm glad I did. I'm now officially fused and have a removable cast to take off and learn to walk without. If anyone wants any info on my experience let me know!

:op
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi prefabkid, how did you get on today? I have been thinking about you and I hope the outcome has been positive. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    hope your appointment goes well, I've had my wrist done toes next and no doubt my ankle/s will need doing as well at some time due to my 16 plus xrays showing severe degenerative OA in all my joints michelle x
  • bobbyger
    Options
    Hi Ron,

Hope all went well for you today and you got the result you were looking for.

Rob
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Hi all.
    Back from my appointment and on line (after levering my OH off ebay),though did manage a pub lunch (and a pint DD) as some compensation before the hospital. :roll:
    First,many thanks for all your support (had to have extra pockets fitted to my jacket).Great to see you back on the forum Rob,we were wondering since you hadn't appeared for a few days and glad that you are progressing well. :smile:
    Results of my appointment - after examining my ankle and x-rays was told that my 'ankle joint was gone' (quote),I can vouch for that!
    I was told that could have a choice of ankle fusion or replacement (an option I hadn't really considered as a serious candidate) :???: .But was suggested that because of my age and mainly because of the location and degree of degeneration replacement would be most appropriate in my case.Further this wouldn't entail a plaster cast (though some other sources don't agree),recovery time would be shorter and I would have more joint movement.
    As to time scale,this would be about 6 weeks to pre-op (when I can discuss final details with the surgeon and give my decision) and a further 3 weeks to the operation.
    I will start my researching and in the meantime wish you all best wishes and to take care.

Regards
    Ron