Anyone had a op for a bunion and the next two toes?

elnafinn
elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
edited 6. Mar 2011, 13:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello :smile:

I saw a foot consultant 6 week ago and as the pain in my second toe was giving me so much jip he kindly gave me an injection and after a week of hell, which he did warn me about that pain went. I went to see him 6 weeks later which was yesterday and he can see the deterioration in that time and has said that now he is willing to operate on my bunion which is the cause of the problem but gives me no pain and the second toe which is very inflamed, nearly twice its normal size and no longer touches the floor and the third toe which give me no pain after it dislocated itself some years ago. :roll: I was told the toe was dislocated after he looked at an xray I had 6 weeks ago.

After not long having had two TKRs, this has come as rather a shock but there you go. These things are sent to try us :lol:

So I am very interested in hearing from anyone who has had this op. He has told me it will be fairly difficult for me post op as he will have dealt with 3 toes out of five and I will in effect have to learn to walk again. I am going for it because I can see no other way forward. Things will only get worse if I do not.

Elna x
The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry Elna , dont have experience of this Problem and know anyone who has had such an op. I just wanted to say who are very brave for undergoing yet another op and more importantly its recovery! You are probably right though, it is only likely to get worse if you dont.
    Cath
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Elna
    This is the first time I have ever known you to ask for help, you always support everyone else.
    I really do wish I could give you some answers,hopefully someone will be along very soon.
    I knew there was something wrong, you have been so quiet.
    Sending you lots of very gentle hugs..(((((())))) you worked so hard when you had your TKRs...I am sure this wont beat you.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Hello Elna,

This is a brilliant op with a very successful outcome :grin:

I have just had my left bunion done, having had the right one sorted at the beginning of December. A couple of screws and three staples all permanent but my right foot is certainly dancing away to its own tune now, 10 weeks later.

My friend has just had two toes pinned, again most successful. The lady in the bed next to me had her bunion done plus two toes pinned the same day I had my bunion done and we're meeting up next week at the foot clinic. We've been in touch by email with each other since we had the ops and she's doing great too. Last year this lady had her other foot completely reconstructed, a four hour op and it's a brilliant result.

All three of us have the same surgeon and his post op instructions are for his patients to walk "flat foot weight-bearing". Has your surgeon said whether you will have a plaster cast on your foot or an overshoe?

Do ask if I can give you any more info won't you. Obviously I don't know what your surgeon will do and you'll appreciate that I'm only relating what I've learnt as far as the pinning of the other two toes goes :smile:

I hope you'll be as happy with the outcome as the three of us are.

Cherry x
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Hi Elna,
    Sorry to hear that you're in pain again but you're doing the right thing by opting to go ahead with the op. You've got the right attitude. No messing about! Hope you get a date to go into hospital soon and wish you well,
    Magenta x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Elna, I had both bunions done as a teenager. The big toes were crossing over the little toes and the joint where the big toe connects to the foot was painful too. I did not have anything done to the other toes, but with the big toe realigned they returned to their rightful position.

The op did sort out my pain, thank goodness.

I had this op done may years ago, so things may have changed. I had both feet done at the same time. I had bandages and wasn't allowed to weight bear until the stitches were out and the feet were plastered. Once the plaster casts were on I was allowed to walk. I needed meds for post op pain and used elbow crutches until the bones started to heal.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • deborahjane
    deborahjane Member Posts: 120
    i have had all toes and bunions done on both feet about 5 years ago.toes straightened and bunions shaved away,my one foot has now gone back to how it was before op toes all bent and bunion,at the moment they are not giving me to much pain apart from calluss on big toe caused by pressure,but i would have op again if they get any worse,my toes don,t touch the floor either only big one and little one,my footprint in the sand looks like a lobster,any way good luck with op.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Elna,

i am sorry your having this just now.

I haven't had bunions done, never had them but have had at least half the big toes ball joint taken out as well as a toe removed and all the joints from the toes on one foot and some on the other. It has really helped and made it all a but more comfortable. Though would happily have 2 more toes removed if I could get them to... they do say they will but not yet cus I don't heal so good.

I hope they will not keep you waiting too long and anything they can do to help has to be worth it... or at least it was for me though the feet have had 3 big overhauls on one and 2 ion the other.

Leaving a ((( ))) and love Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    oh Elna

I am so sorry you are facing surgery.

I tend to think you are very wise to have it done. l know I would and am actually thinking it's a good thing youve had the knees doen first as they will be helping to support you wont they?

I know you have a little nursemaid on hand nearby, but we will be there for you too.

Love and hugs

toni xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Elna,
    I’m sorry that you have to face this after all you have been through. Sorry I cannot help you with your toes problems but I wanted to wish you well.
    Lv, Ix
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Hi Elna

Sorry to hear about your toes.
    Hope you havent too much pain at the mo.

In 1995 I had my left foot operated on.
    Bunion straightened out and the next toe which was
    wrapping over the big toe, had that one straightened.
    So only big toe and one toe involved for me.

I had a pin in the toe for about 6 weeks, had to wear
    one of those rocker type shoe things.

After the 6 weeks, the pin was removed, the toe did bend the other
    way a bit though, so not 100% succesful.
    I was warned that the big toe would not be the same again,
    i.e. not much feeling in it and it is floppy. My left foot
    does look more swollen than the right foot.

This was all before RA was diagnosed so not sure how much
    was due to the RA.

Hope it goes well if you decide to go ahead.

Love Kath xx
  • elnafinn
    Dear Cath, Barbara, Cherry, Magenta, speedy, DeborahJane, Cris, Toni, Ironic and Kath

You are such lovely people. Thank you so much for replying to my thread and for all the advice and good wishes. Today the foot has been giving me lots of jip and this pleases me in a weird sort of way because it makes me even more determined to go through with the op. I have heard good and not so good stories about having this operation. It was news to me that it can all come back after a few years too. I read that somewhere today as well. I have looked into what exercises should be done and printed them off. I am now very aware that RICE, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation is suggested for at least two weeks post op. I got used to doing this with the TKRs, so I am no stranger to that.

Cherry, I am so pleased that the operations went well for you and it is good to know that I can get in touch with you should I have questions. The consultant mentioned the “shoe”. I am not new to this because years ago I had the little toe shortened on that foot and had to wear one of those shoes/boot then. I fully realise that this time around, recuperation will take much longer.

Speedy, it is good to know that your ops were a success too.

DeborahJane, it is such a shame that the bunion reappeared on one foot some years later but at least you are not in pain with it and to know that you would have the op again, speaks reams to me.

Cris, I did not realise that you had been through a lot of foot surgery - it is good it made things easier for you.

Toni, Lola is coming round tomorrow and we shall make some rock cakes! I am sorry that I will not be able to look after her for a little while after the op, but that is a huge incentive to get mobile again. She loves playing hospitals, going to the doctors, the vets and to the hairdressers!

Kath, I did not realise that you had been through this. I am sorry to hear that it was not 100% successful. I take it you have no pain in the said toes now. I hope not anyway. Surgery may have improved a little in 16 years…….

It gives me such a nice warm feeling inside when reading all your replies. To know we can pretty well guarantee that when we write something, it will be answered is very reassuring..

I hope you have all had a good, or fairly good day today and not been in too much pain.

Love and hugs to you,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Elna,

Oh flower my feet had the first rebuild when I was 24. hey they are the reason they stuck me on the iloprost.... guess i am pleased about that..... or should be at any rate :lol:

They were riddled with oa as young as 16. I had a habit of hurting them all the time... breaks, squashed, impact ulcers, more breaks, dislocations well there wasn't much I didn't do to them :roll:

Oh and nails... nails are the bain of my life i still stand on them....

Anyway surgery was mentioned when they did the knees but they kept saying it was better to leave it till I had finished growing....

When I did I had one accident too many and lost the toe and after that the foot went mental and needed a lot of work within the year :lol::lol:

Tell you its so good after they have got over the assault.... the pain is horrible before and not too good after for a few days but then...

Elna you wont know your self and yep i would be up for a 3rd and 4th rebuild any day! I still got a hunk of metal in them but they do normally take it out. not sure if they de-screw bunions?

I did react big time to the metal but cus I have such a hard time healing..... it settled after 12 months or so and now, well they are unable to resume their old positions less they get hold of some plate cutters :wink:

Go for it flower cus it can only help. Love and a ((((( ))))) Cris xx
  • cythna
    cythna Member Posts: 42
    Hi. I had my bunions, all eight other toes, and the bones under my foot all fixed in one go many years ago. It was without doubt the most painful surgery I have had-I woke up in the recovery ward screaming that my shoes were on fire!, but also one of the most successful.

Before my feet were uncerated, painful, and I had to wear orthoperic shoes. After they looked like normal feet, and I could get regular shoes on. They have slipped slightly over the years, but still look fine. One small thing, they are now shorter. Before the op I took a three and a half in shoes, now I'm a two and a half. You might like that or not! Good luck.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Elna,

Sorry to be a latecomer to your thread but I do have a little contribution.

My sister and also a friend have had bunion removal and toes straightened. My sister (age 47) didn't listen to the advice given of elevating and resting her foot so it took absolutely ages (near on a year) for it to heal properly and the pain and swelling to go, though it is fine now.

My friend (65) did it by the book and rested/elevated etc and healed within a few months and suffered far less pain afterwards.

Good luck with it and I hope you have the time to do your daily diary on your progress as you did with your knees - as it's so interesting to follow and it also gives others a benchmark if they're going through a similar operation.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Elna,

So sorry I have not been in touch. Everyone time I start a message reply I get side tracked so lose it all. I was waiting for a quiet time to reply but not much chance of that this week with the children at home.
    I am sorry you are facing more surgery Elna.I don't know anything about bunion removal or toe straightening apart from what I have read on here. It seems you will have to be a good girl like LindaLegs friend and do everything by the book.

Will be in touch mid week Elna.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    No worries, Elizabeth, as long as I hear from you somehow or other. I know that you are going through difficult times, through no fault of your own and you have my sympathies. Drop me a line when you are able, you know I love to hear from you and I hope in the next missive there is better news from you.

Chin up, my lovely, I think you do marvellously well all things considered.

Love
    Elna x(())

• tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Hi Elna,
    I had my bunions done over 20 years ago. Only had the big toe pinned and it was taken out after about six weeks then I was back in normal shoes. It was very successful although my left one is diving inwards again but then all my toes are a bit wonky lol!

Good luck hooe it goes well.
    Anita.
  • elnafinn
    Hi Anita :smile:

Many thanks for replying. That was great that your op went well and it is still going strong. As I am having three toes done, I think it will be a longer recovery for me but I hope not and shall do everything I am told to do by the medics. The consultant did say I will have the "wire" removed from the second and third toe after two week. I know for certain I see him two weeks after the operation.

Thank you also for your good wishes, gratefully received. :smile:

Luv
    Elna x