cancelled op :(

starspangle
starspangle Member Posts: 37
edited 26. Feb 2011, 17:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am so disappointed, my hand operation has been cancelled due to lack of funds/money for such surgery. ( for this finacial year)
I see several people(physio & OT) next week to discuss options and management.
I have been told it may go ahead in july but no guarantees yet (are there ever?).

The pain is bad.
Will see my surgeon in April.

Was hoping I would be on here now asking for advice re post op.
Cortisone/steroid injection worked previously(3 years ago) to manage the pain, I wonder if it is worth asking for another for the time being?
S

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    So sorry to hear your op is being cancelled, but hopefully you will get it in the summer. These cut backs are not good news, perhaps if you get an agreement for the injection it might help until you can eventually get the op.
    Cath
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi,
    It is such a disapointment to have your op cancelled....You must have been really prepared for it and to be told that must be awful
    Hopefully you will get it soon.....let us know what the team say when you see them
    Love
    Hileena
  • bobbyger
    bobbyger Member Posts: 155
    Hi Starspangle,

Sorry to hear your op was cancelled, I know how you feel. I've had 3 ops on my ankle and 1 on my knee and the latest fusion was the only one that wasn't cancelled.

It's the fact that you build yourself up for the op just to get shot down that I find the worst.

Anyway, keep your chip up, hopfully there will be some good news not to far in the future.

Rob
  • spacey
    spacey Member Posts: 126
    sorry to hear your surgery has been cancelled, it is so disapointing but probably slightly easier to take if you are given an alternative date. It seams that you are now in limbo - not a nice place to be. I hope you get effective treatment soon.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi S,

I am sorry its been cancelled there and hopefully it will go ahead come July.

I think if the jabs helped you then its worth asking again for them? Sometimes they only work once but its always worth a go and might well tied you through till they get round to doing the op. I hope they will not keep you waiting too long. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh I am so so so sorry starspangle :sad:

you must be devastated!!

Do please have another jab it has to be worth it to ease it for a while for you.

This is dreadful and I am so upset for you :x cross too

Love

toni xx
  • starspangle
    Thank you for your kind words everyone.
    Its nice to know someone is listening who can relate to the pain arthritis can cause.
    Hope you are all well in yourselves.

Yes the stress preparing for the op is tiring, it takes up all the physical and mental reserves and then with 1 letter its back to square 1 with it all to do again.
    I was given a MUD splint and night splint yesterday to help with pain before I can see the physio/OT for a full appointment.

Hope you dont mind me going on a bit, I do feel better for speaking to you.

I seem to remember a while ago I was told that the injections cant be done within 3 months of an expected op, I was hoping someone may have experience of this. (maybe I dreamt it)

Will keep you updated with the next appointments.
    Thanks so much

love s
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think I am right in saying that, strictly speaking, steroid injections should not be done within three months of expected surgery but as your op has been cancelled (and as they worked before) I can see no reason why you cannot ask for them. Be warned tho, they are temperamental beasts - the fact they were effective before is no guarantee they will be so again. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Oh S,

how disappointing, especially when you are in so much pain and were getting all geared up for it. Hopefully you will be front of the queue in the new financial year. Why do they reckon July and not April or May?

Hopefully your surgeon will be able to give you some answers at your next appointment.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • starspangle
    Hi speedy
    yes thats what I asked!
    some people were in the queue and their position was april ,may,june they keep that position as their ops are not cancelled.

I have had an op cancelled a good few years ago and that was for January (cancelled due to no staff and no free beds during flu outbreak).
    My take on it in the future will be to avoid the end of the finacial year and winter months when accidents happen due to falls,flu, and staff illness or beds are taken with other winter illness's as they were the reasons I was given as well as no money. So July August September jump in and get things done I say, some folk are on holiday then and wont want to have things done, so that is the plan for me.
    I'm even beginning to cheer myself up now. :smile:
    love s
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Starspangle,
    I am so sorry that the operation was cancelled. Could you ring the surgeon’s secretary and ask if you could have the injections. Being in pain runs you down so it might be in their best interests to give you pain relief now.
    As you say you may get a cancellation slot if you are able to fit in with their schedule.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Lv, Ix