Neck now!

magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 2. Mar 2011, 17:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
Another thing on my list to ask rhuemy. My neck. It's very sore and stiff. Right side worse than left. Can't bend towards my shoulders very well. When I manage there's alot of clunking and grinding going on. Help!
Having a flare of my OA in jaw and don't know if it's all related but this is different from before.
Magenta x

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi..

I have had episodes of a stiff neck and lots of cruncing and grinding.. i also got the feeling like my throat was closing up, my rheumy said this was a sign of inflammation in my neck... Have had no trouble in my neck for a gd few weeks and as far as i'm aware nothing showed up on my bone scan, so am unsure myself, but will mention this to my rheumy when i see himm as i also experience alot of shoulder pain too..
    When are you due to see your rheumy next?..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • magenta
    Hi Tracy,
    I've got shoulder pain too, right into my shoulder blades which are crunching too. I go to rhuemy on the 8th March.
    Hope you are well and thanks for replying so quickly!
    Magenta x
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    8th March, not too far away..
    Will have to let me know how you get on, be interesting..
    I am not due to see my rheumy till april 14th.. seems so far away lol..
    Sounds like our experiences are similar,, will keep you updated on any progress.. vice versa lol..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Eileen,

Oh flower you got to stop getting all these aches and hurting bits! I have a duff neck and its not easy but mine has narrowing and disc's dehydrated and bulging as well as bone bits all over the place. It goes over too far to the left (too far then it paralyzes me for a second or two) but the right side it wont go far to at all now. Its not that good at turning either.

Mine is too far gone for surgery or anything now except supportive treatments so mention it to the rumo and make sure they do some xrays at least cus they may be able to help you if they know what it actually is.

really hope they will help you this time and the shoulder... yep both sides as well but for that they have had more help so far.

Hope you got a bit of sun today? ((((( ))))) Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oh Eileen

not the neck!!!!!!!!!!!

the neck is horrible isn't it? I hate my neck when it goes 'proper' I can ignore the day to day, but not the proper :sad:

Do mention it and it could connect with the jaw who knows. Take the new anti-inflams my lovely and try heat and ice - one of them may help a bit.

All my sympathy

Love

toni xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Magenta,
    It sounds as if it’s all related have you tried heat pads and anti-flam gels for your neck?
    Sorry I cannot help with the jaw problem but that sounds awful for you. I think your appointment is not far off so I would keep a record of all your symptoms and give it to your Rheumy to read.
    I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
    Lv, Ix
  • magenta
    Hiya,
    We have sun today :smile: It's lovely, going out to my sisters for a wee party. Kids will get to play outside.

I'm suffering today, big-time. Think I'm having a flare. Every joint in body is achy. My neck is getting stiffer and stiffer after a sleep. I'm writing it all down to tell my rhuemy. Hopefully he'll listen.

Hope everyone else has a good Saturday :wink:

Magenta xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi Magenta hope the rhuemy can get you sorted , and out of pain and ache xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • spacey
    spacey Member Posts: 126
    we have dull, dreary rain here - and I am having an Eyore day. Roll on spring it cant come soon enough. Sorry to hear you are feeling awful but hope you have a nice day with your family.
  • magenta
    Hi Bertyboy and Spacey (and the rest of you),
    I'm just back from having a lovely family day. Kids out playing until it was too dark to see each other :grin:

My neck giving me big worries. As I was bending forwrd, something clicking on my right side. When I touch the area, it feels like something is popping out of place then going back in!!! I had this on the left side before Christmas when GP said it was my facet joint probably dislocating-now having on the right side :roll: Falling apart :smile: What next?!!

Had a good day though. Thinking about getting a neck support pillow but they don't look like they would be comfy. Anyone tried one?

Hope you all had a good day,
    Magenta xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Eileen,

So glad you had a good day flower :grin:

Haven't you had that neck do this before? If it wasn't you it was someone else and maybe they will see this and tell you what it was. Its something you have to ask about and well i have no idea except maybe its tendons or ligaments?

Mind don't do that but they do go rock solid and hurt a lot.

You could do with at least a neck xray there... ask your gp for that and hopefully when you see the rumo they will have the results for it all?

Hang in there flower its not long till your seen.

Hope the sun is still shining... we got dry but no sun and even just dry help :wink: I must stop watching remote controlled star and get gone... hey have you sen it... its so funny.... Hugs and hopes Eileen. Cris xx
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Magenta

I am having very similar problems, when my neck is hurting which is now about twice a week, I have a rotten headache too with it.

I am going to mention it to my Consultant when I see him end of March. It can be very debilitating can't it? I feel it popping and crunching and I try to move it around to move it 'back into place'. As sometimes when it clunks, it improves and the headache goes.

I think I need an xray, hope it can be sorted, but I have heard of people having to have their neck fused to help this problem. Now that for me is scary.

How are you today?

Janie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hey Eileen

I am so sorry that your neck is still giving you gyp. You will get it checked out though wont you??

Glad you had a good family day and you definitely needed it, but try to rest if you can today. Heat or ice might help the meloxicam too and painkillers :sad:

As Janie says there are surgical options available, but things can go too far like Cris and then it's not an option so early intervention is essential.

Love

Toni xx
  • magenta
    Hi Cris, Toni and Janie,
    Thanks again for replying to my post. I feel a bit better today, partly cos John let me lie in bed till 10 this morning. Bit of a luxury for me. My neck is always very stiff and sore in the morning and it takes a good hour or 2 to feel reasonably normal again. It has been clicking and crunching again and I've definitely lost some mobility in my neck.
    My hips are clicking too-honestly feel like my body is ready to stop working. John thinks I should go off work but I can't. If I do, I think it's harder to go back.
    Managed to get the kids out to a park today, still very sunny and sometimes even warm(ish!)
    Hope everyone else has had a good weekend,
    Magenta x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi magenta hope you are not feeling too bad today.
    I am sorry that you are now having neck problems too.
    I am waiting for surgery on my neck as you may have read.
    I also urge you to ask for xrays cause the sooner they know whats wrong the quicker they will sort you.
    Wish mine was spotted sooner.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • magenta
    Hi Julie,
    I had an xray done in December. I'm sure they would have contacted me if they found anything. I'll get results next week. I've also had a lump on my left side of neck (since October 2009!) just under the base of skull. No-one seems to know what it is. I'm convinced it's got something to do with all my pains. I suppose I'll soon find out eh?
    When is your date for surgery and what are you getting done? Forgive me if you've already posted that or I'm being too nosey-sorry.
    Hope you're doing ok,
    Magenta x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    i got bad neck and the area you mentions gets painful and a lump appears when it bad physio helped val
    val
  • magenta
    Hi Valval,
    Do you have arthritis in your neck? My lump never goes completely. Docs always say it's my gland, must be fighting an infection! Surely not for 16mths!!!
    Magenta x
  • julie47
    Hi magenta You are not nosey at all. Just concerned.
    I haven't got a date for the surgery yet. I have my daughters wedding at the beginning of april so the surgeon said he will see me in may to discuss the surgery further. (wasn't having anything done before her big day) Then I suppose i will be on a list.
    I am having screwws in the odontoid peg so won't be able to move head side to side. Then I have 2 discs that have decided to move too so they will need pinning to straighten them but that is another op.

I hope that when you go for your appointment they are able to tell you what the lump is. Especially if it causing so much pain. I think you are quite right if it is a swollen gland it has lasted a long time.
    I hope they refer you to a physio like val and hope it works for you too.

Keep us informed
    Take care
    Juuliepf x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    good question have i got arther in neck not sure is answer had fall over a year ago and put arm out to stop head hitting corner of wall lol ended up hurting neck felt silly so did not go to hospital either so never had it xrayed but had 2 lots of physio the second one showed me picture in book that showed exacly where the lump on back of neck under scull was and right shoulder(behind felt like tenis ball in it) caused by muscled going into spasam to protect neck lol heat ice and exercises help when it starts to play up val
    val
  • magenta
    julie47 wrote:
    Hi magenta You are not nosey at all. Just concerned.
    I haven't got a date for the surgery yet. I have my daughters wedding at the beginning of april so the surgeon said he will see me in may to discuss the surgery further. (wasn't having anything done before her big day) Then I suppose i will be on a list.
    I am having screwws in the odontoid peg so won't be able to move head side to side. Then I have 2 discs that have decided to move too so they will need pinning to straighten them but that is another op.

I hope that when you go for your appointment they are able to tell you what the lump is. Especially if it causing so much pain. I think you are quite right if it is a swollen gland it has lasted a long time.
    I hope they refer you to a physio like val and hope it works for you too.

Keep us informed
    Take care
    Juuliepf x

Oh Julie :eek: That sounds pretty major surgery! What's the Odontoid Peg? Hope your daughter has a wonderful day-when is her wedding?
    Take care,
    Magenta x
  • magenta
    Hi Valval,
    I've had physio for my jaw which involved my neck too. My physio never knew what lump was either. I don't think I'll ever find out! I prefer heat so will use my heat pillow-only problem is I've lost it!!! My hubby done a spring clean and he can't remember where he put it!!!!!
    Hope things ok with you and thanks for getting back to me,
    Magenta x
  • julie47
    Hi magenta
    Hope you are not too bad today.
    The odontoid peg is the very top of your neck that swivels, allowing you to turn your head and move it up and down. I have been on web several times to see how they screw it. (scares me daft, so I don't look any more) :lol:
    And in answer to your other question.....my daughter gets married on the 2nd April :grin::grin:

Take care
    Thinking of you
    Juliepf x
  • magenta
    Hi Juliepf and Lynn,

Julie, hope your daughter gets a lovely day for her wedding. We're getting lovely sunny weather here but very cold-it's set my Raynauds off again :x Yeah, think it's wise not to look at anything on web! Best wishes to you and your daughter for her big day :wink:

Hi Lynn,
    Don't worry about the diet. You've got to take the meds so your diet can wait :smile: Miloxicam, I think it's helping me but my jaw is playing up and my hands and ankles. I've not experienced any side-effects-yet :grin: I don't think I'm getting enough pain relief. Going to up my Acupan at the weekend. My lump never goes away but it does go down a bit from time to time. It does worry me a bit.
    You take it easy,

Eileen xx