What is it like to have Cervical Spondylosis?

magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 2. Mar 2011, 17:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya,
I'm wanting to know what the symptoms of CS are please? Also, if you got diagnosed by xray?
Ta,
Magenta x

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Magenta
    I have both Cervical and lumbar spondylosis, My symptoms for the cervical are a very painful neck, at the back and sides and I cant turn my head to the sides very well, Sleeping is a nightmare and I get headaches. I assume that the pain I get acoss my shoulders and the pins and needles in my hands and loss of sensation in my finger tips is also down to the spondylosis, I suspect that symptoms are varied. Mine came to light when I had a medical following a serious accident I had on the motorway. Can't remember having an xray for it but i did have an MRI once and it might have shown up on that.
    It is definately recorded in my medical notes though because I asked my Gp to list my problems for my DLA application and that came up on the computer.
    Cath
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi, I've had neck problems for donkeys years. Had physio several times and it's just got worse.
    Pain right up into my skull that radiated over top of head; feeling sick on waking in the morning, thumping headaches nothing shifts.
    I have very good range of movement in my neck/shoulders it's just the pain.
    I had an MRI scan last year that came back with the diagnosis of cervical spondylosis.
    Also get pain between shoulders driving and doing the iroing.
    My new Doctor has just changed my painkillers and is organising more physio.
    I bought an expensive memory foam pillow and it has helped a lot- they're quite hard ( I'm used to punching my pillows into shape) but you do get used to them.
    Hope that this has helped
    take care
    xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Hi, I have cervical spondylosis amongst other things. I have a painful neck, limited neck movement, painful muscle spasms, dizziness, numbness in fingers. Headaches, stiffness, grumpiness due to symptoms!! :lol: I get earache which I am told is also my neck.

I had an mri of my neck, I also have severe degenerative disk disease and early osteoporosis in my neck and scoliosis of my spine which adds to the problems.

Can't manage without painkillers and even then I struggle. Hope this helps.
  • magenta
    Thanks Caterina57, Daylily and Suzygirl,
    I had asked to hear what symptoms everyone has. I have nearly all of them. Some, like nausea are new. I also get tinnitus. I'm confused as to whether all the symptoms are because of my neck or my jaw.
    I'm going to try a neck support pillow, see if I can get a better sleep.
    Thanks for all your info, hope you aren't all suffering too much today.
    Magenta x
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    I find a good neck support pillow really helps. Also those 'v' shaped pillows help in the day. A hot water bottle or wheatie bag is also essential and helps to relax the surrounding muscles.

Hope you manage to getsome relief.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Eileen

I have a memory foam pillow too fro my neck it is sort of curved in the middles and takes some getting used to! the knock on effect is that my shoulders are happier too as I am not squashing them so much

Love

toni xx
  • magenta
    Hi Toni and suzygirl,
    The only neck pillows I've seen are normal rectangular shape with a bigger bump one one end? I'll maybe buy both!!
    Thanks,
    Magenta x