BLOODS

Options
paddyw
paddyw Member Posts: 93
Hello,I have RA can you tell me, can you have blood problems with this? my blood tests always have very high RA reading.I dont take the meds dr wants me to take ,cant seem to come to terms with such TOXIC drugs.Take painkillers when needed.Thank-You Paddy

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,494
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Paddy,

Welcome to Chat to Helplines. What the blood results show are the high inflammatory levels produced by the immune system. Unfortunately if left untreated these are harmful and damaging to your health.

The common disease modifying drugs (dmards) are not considered highly toxic at the small doses used by the rheumatology team. But reassuring is the fact that people being treated with dmards are monitored to check that their system is ok on the treatment.

I wonder whether you've seen our booklet 'living with rheumatoid arthritis' yet? http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

If you'd like us to post you an information pack, just email us your full name and address to helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk

I hope we can help further

Guy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I admire your spirit paddyw, but in the long run I fear you could harm yourself so much more and cause un-necessary damage to your joints without the intervention of the meds. The meds are designed to slow the progress of the disease and ameliorate the damage. I have been on DMARDS for years and have had no side effects whatsoever but I think my joint damage is more extensive than it should be because I had five years without treatment - not through choice but because the medical profession kept fobbing me off. I hope you don't end up like me.

Come to think of it, pain dullers are equally toxic if taken in sufficiently large quantities. All drugs have an effect on the body. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • paddyw
    paddyw Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Thanks Guy and DD, I really am listening to you all and trying to sort it all out in my head before i see the dr at the hospial again Regards Pat (Paddy)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There is no doubt that there is a great deal to understand - truth be told I have not found the medicos to be much good at explaining things to me - they have the theory, I live with the reality. Everyone's version of this rubbish is different and what works for one may not work for another. Arthritis comes with its own minefield. There is one good thing though: you have found AC and so you have access to a wealth of experience plus sympathetic ears and understanding minds. The Helpline does a wonderful job, and so do the forum members when it comes to support and encouragement. Keep in touch, Pat, we understand and we care. You are not alone in trying to cope with this malarkey. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben