sero positive RA AND PsA?

RichC
RichC Member Posts: 260
Hiya , i am trying to get a definitive answer , took me ages to get to a diagnosis of sero positive RA , now the consultant is saying I also have PsA .
All the literature i read states that the defining factor as to a diagnosis of PsA is that you are sero-negative .
I do have both sets of symptoms applicable to each version of Arthritis , Have a + ve RA factor , AND have recently developed Psoriasis on my legs, Lower Spine , and Buttocks ..and spreading fast .

Am on MTX and Leflu which i know are good for both types, and use Dovonex and Betnovate for the skin issue , i am just curious as how common it is to have both , as stated above , most sites including PAPAA suggest/ infer that you can't have both .:O
I never did do things by halves :O hehe
Any ideas or links to further reading that mentions having Both types of Arthritis :)

Cheers
Rich :)

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    RichC wrote:
    Hiya , i am trying to get a definitive answer , took me ages to get to a diagnosis of sero positive RA , now the consultant is saying I also have PsA .
    All the literature i read states that the defining factor as to a diagnosis of PsA is that you are sero-negative .
    I do have both sets of symptoms applicable to each version of Arthritis , Have a + ve RA factor , AND have recently developed Psoriasis on my legs, Lower Spine , and Buttocks ..and spreading fast .

Am on MTX and Leflu which i know are good for both types, and use Dovonex and Betnovate for the skin issue , i am just curious as how common it is to have both , as stated above , most sites including PAPAA suggest/ infer that you can't have both .:O
    I never did do things by halves :O hehe
    Any ideas or links to further reading that mentions having Both types of Arthritis :)

Cheers
    Rich :)

Dear Rich

It is really best to speak to your rheumatologist about your concern over your diagnosis of both these conditions and about having both types of arthritis. If you click on the link to our factsheets http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets
    you can download the one called Seronegative arthritis that has information about both psoriatic and rheumatoid arthritis and about diagnosis that may be helpful to you.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • RichC
    RichC Member Posts: 260
    Thanks for that , however as with a lot of people .. it has taken me well over two years to get any kind of diagnosis , and my Consultant is very non committal .. on My MTX book he has put RA /PA .
    I have emailed his secretary for an answer so will have to wait i suppose .

My GP has also advised me the same as above that you cannot have PsA if you are Sero +ve for RF.

However i have found some info in various qualified sources on-line where Consultants have stated that it is rare that people are diagnosed as having PsA with a +ve RF( Note use of the word "rare")
    This suggest that it is possible to have a diagnosis of PsA with a +ve RF.
    I like to be armed with information to enable me to make an informed decision before i talk to my Consultant .. hence the question posted here, so i guess i will have to approach this "blind" ...but thanks anyway .

Cheers
    Rich C:)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I can understand your confusion: on my blood forms they always put RA when it flaming well isn't. I thought that PA was a sero negative form of this pestilence - my bloods have never shown a postive RF factor, just highly elevated CRP and ESR, so I was told at first that it was 'some form of inflammatory arthritis.' They altered this to a jubilant 'It's PA!' when I had a bout of P in October 2006, which lasted until about Feb 2007. I do know that some forms of this pestilence are very hard to diagnose - I reckon you are definitely in that camp: go on, RichC, you make 'em work for their shekels! :grin: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hustep
    Hustep Member Posts: 1
    Some people suggest that stress factors may be more important in the etiology and maintenance of seronegative RA. Is it true? Has someone experienced sero positive RA AND PsA because of this reason?
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Dear Hustep,

Thank you for your enquiry to Helplines. I am not aware of any of the information about the sero negative arthritis family which particularly singles out and emphasises stress. If you would like more replies from other people living with arthritis you might want to consider posting on the 'Living with arthritis' forum too.

I hope you get some helpful replies

Guy