Hello new to the forum!!

ppjthomas
ppjthomas Member Posts: 3
edited 7. Mar 2011, 06:13 in Say Hello Archive
Hi my name is julie and I was diagnosed with RA about 5 years ago. I have managed it fairly well up until 6 months ago when I have had some quite bad flareups. Although I only have it in my right hand and wrist, it can make life difficult especially at work. I am in the process of trying to get some assistance at work but am experiencing some difficulties. Has any one got any tips on how to make this work? Also I am looking at different equipment to make life easier at home has any one got any ideas?
I have just read postings on this forum and it has cheered me up and made me smile!!

Comments

• MarkC
    MarkC Member Posts: 16
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Julie, welcome!

I'm pretty new myself, to this forum and to arthritis so can't offer a huge amount of advice but I have just started to get some help at work. What is it you're struggling with, getting your employer to offer assistance, knowing what can help you,or something else?

Do you work for a large organization or a small one? A large one is more likely to have a dedicated person to help you I think, but you could get an occupational nurse to come in for an assessment of your workplace, which I believe wouldn't cost you anything. I would suggest having a chat with your GP and seeing what options you have.

I'm 26 and love doing things for myself, but one of the best things I've done since getting arthritis is admitting that I need help and seeking it out, although it can be hard knowing where to look for it!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi ppj, welcome to the forums. Check out the work forum for info on legislation, equipment etc, and the LWA forum (living with arthritis) for the permanent thread on hints and tips. No matter how few joints are affected the outcome is the same: pain and inconvenience. There are many products out there designed to help, you just have to research and find what works best for you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Hi Julie,
    Welcome to the forum, its a great place and has helped me greatly.
    I have struggled for years with work and home and finally my doc said it was time for some help as i was getting upset at having to ask my kids for so much help. I had the Occupational Health team come into my home and after telling them and showing them what i was having problems with they gave me aids and had someone come in to fit things that help. Even little things have made a huge difference to me. It took them a while to sort out something to help me out of bed so the kids didnt need to do it but they didnt give up untill they found the answer. DOc also said they could come and assess my work but ive been signed off sick for some time and my job is just not at all suitable.
    Speak to your doc and ask for a referall to the OTs. I hope you have as much help as i got, it has changed everything for me.
    Seamonkey