Prep for DLA tribunal....

Options
lorica
lorica Member Posts: 187
edited 23. Mar 2011, 10:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Im trying to do some prep / making notes for my DLA Tribunal next week. Anybody got any tips? :???:

I have got letters from my GP and Rheummy and they have been submitted to the tribunal and my Welfare support officer.
I have a printout from my GP of my medication with dates and dosage / frequency etc, I have been advised that I should have a list of hospital appointments and what happened at each one, and because of my memory and lack of consentration It has been suggested I write a list of what my day consits of, but it is this list that worries me, its just in the past I got a raw deal from ESA because I told them Im trying to write a novel, and that I spend short amounts of time at it due to my short concentration span, and I use a lap top (One finger typing). But this went against me with ESA.

It is so horrible trying to second guess what they are looking for, to be honest I spend a lot of the time sleeping, but I dont suppose that would go down well with them either, and I do stuff like house work, but im usually in a lot of pain when I do it, and I know I shouldn't do it, but I have to try and live as normally as I can.

any suggestions please?

Mark

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mark
    Do you have the reasons as to why they turned you down for DLA? If you do you need to hit them with responses. I am thinking that you just had a simple letter - did you have a medical - did you get a report from that medical? was it accurate? I strongly believe that everything has to be evidence based --- and I believe that has to be from both sides - upon what evidence did they refuse DLA. What were the reasons you failed ESA I can't believe that enough evidence was based upon your attempts to write a novel!!!!
    Hit them with their own strategies = be difficult and challenging.
    I am not familar with your particular disabilities --- but I will help if I can -- My strengths are in report writing!!!!!
    Cath
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Mark
    Cath is quite right, they will, or should have given details, along with their decision to not grant DLA to you. They will have mentioned things like mobility, care needs, abilities to carry out tasks such as cooking a main meal from scratch, how often you need care, if you are able to recognise danger and therefore be a danger to yourself or others. Are you at risk of falls, can you sit comfortably, do you use aids and or adaptations, how your medication affects your daily life, I know it does mine, in a big way.
    DLA is rarely based just on medical problems and disabilities, it is how it affects your daily life, your social aspects, your care needs and how frequent they are throughout the day and or night.
    Do challenge each response that you do not agree with, give details to your GP and any other health care professional who knows you and your condition, GP's tend not to know how things affect you on a day to day basis, so, when questioned by the DLA, they tick "don't know", which is not in your favour. Keep copies of all letters, from all parties.

I challenged them, repeatedly and won my case, for now. We should not have to go through this, but, all you can do is state the facts, with medical evidence to support your appeal. Keep us posted and take care, xx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi mark.
    I recently got notified that i would not be receiving DLA for reasons stated on letter that my OT said was just ridiculous. I have been keeping a diary of what pain im in and how it affects my day, what help i need and how long i need it for. I ve been shocked at how much help and length of time others help me. Im going to appeal the DLA decision and will include my diary as evidence but will also send a copy to GP as i think it shows quite realistically how i am. I also have a letter from my OT to support my claim. I have help from CAB to appeal which is good as with meds im on my mind is like fog! Concentration is shot to pieces and i can hardly remember my own name at times.
    I wish you well with your tribunal, and please let us know how you get on.
    seamonkey