Broken wrist...

Options
Poppyg1rl
Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
edited 27. Mar 2011, 14:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, sorry it's late but appealing for pocket duties if you can?.
I'm back again Wednesday bright and early (8.30am) at the fracture clinic for my broken wrist. No idea what they are going to do this time, last week was a bit complicated with my Rheumy getting involved and insisting on more X-rays. I'm hoping they put me in a decent cast (4th one since I broke it!) and that I'll only have to wear it for another 3-4 wks. The other option was not good so not even thinking about it, will deal with it if I have to.
Thanks and hoping everyone is as painfree as possible hugs to all x
'grá agus solas'
'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hiya poppy
    I will be there for you - I did warn you that a scaphoid bone fracture can lead to all kinds of complications - having been down that rd myself. good luck though and hope you get a new bright sparkly pink cast and you can put my name on it in black marker pen!
    Cath
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Thankyou Cath, you are kind and def have first dibs on the name signing of my cast!!! Really not looking forward to today, you did warn me, it's just that the whole thing has kicked off a bit of a flare in my elbow, despite it being aspirated and steroided last Friday - that's done nothing but aggravate. Oh well, better get going, hope you have a lovely day and thanks again Hugs x
    'grá agus solas'
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sorry Poppy, I am not on the ball at all and I apologise for not setting up a thread for you. I am there in spirit, I hope they are able to get you sorted once and for all today re the wrist, I hope the steroid etc in the elbow starts to help (I have no high opinion of them as you know!) and that the second whack of humira (when you have it) begins to have a positive effect on those markers. Let us know how you get on, please, if you can. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi DD and Cath,
    Just quick msg to say all done at fracture clinic, in pink cast :0 and just waiting to be seen by physio now. In cast for another 7 weeks :(...also got to go for MRI and bone density scan.
    thanks for all your help, it's nice knowing you were in my pocket and that you care. Big hugs to you xxx
    'grá agus solas'
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    poppy I am so sorry I missed your pocket.
    I am late looking in today :oops:
    Sorry you have to wear the cast another 7 weeks just hope it isn't too uncomfortable, but I can guess it is annoying.
    Good luck with the mri, do you have to wait long for that appointment?
    I will try to make it for pocket duty for that one.
    Take care
    juliepf x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    7 weeks! eeek! That will make things difficult.Let me know if you need anything Poppy.You can pm me.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

Not pink again :wink:

7 weeks makes sense and hopefully the scans will be ok as well for you flower. leaving a (((( )))) and a hope it will soon ease off and its a decent plaster? Cris xx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi Cris, Elizabeth & Julie,
    Thanks for pocket duties today, much appreciated.
    Cris the cast feels very odd, it's a pink plasticky tape over the plaster, apparently Im in a childrens size cast :smile: I am very small boned.
    7 weeks seems ages away, ah well what can you do? Atleast I'm not in that God awful pain that I was in when it first broke.
    Hope you are ok? saw that you were having problems, you're so brave about it too, sending you a hug Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

7 weeks will fly by and wrists can be a bit difficult without the arthritis there.

I know the colour you mean..... and will they xray through from now on if there is no problem or are they saying about changing it in 4 weeks?

hey I haven't been sick so that's a bonus.. and if my fears do become real bravery may go out the window for a bit :lol::lol: ((((( ))))) and new casts always feel different cus they can never make them the same twice. Cris xx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi Cris, I'm hoping no more cast changes, I'm in for my bone density scan 30th march and I'll get appt for MRI nxt wk or so, can they do these scans through plaster? Sorry bit slow on the uptake tonight! My sister is a nurse in a&e paediatrics but feel bad asking questions re broken wrist when she's been working long shifts!
    I think you're one of the bravest and kindest people, you are always there for a hug and a hope and I really appreciate it hugs xxx
    'grá agus solas'
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Hi Poppy
    7 weeks sound a very long time but believe me it will fly by. Its good that you are not in the pain that you were in to begin with though---I felt so much for you.... and the cast is pink and it can be xrayed through .... its all going to be plain sialing from now on and I will be in your pocket for your next appointment
    Cath
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

Yep through the plaster no problems with both those scans and same as Cath shall be in your pocket for them both.

Fingers crossed the results are good and 7 weeks it really will fly past cus by the 5th week you will be able to start to use it better and the pain will have all but gone. The hugs your welcome and leaving you another and a slurp from slurpy who seems to have eaten a couple of boxes of crazy flakes..... ((((( ))))) Cris xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Another 7 weeks in a cast :shock: :roll:

Sounds like they are throwing everything at it - physio, scans etc

DId you choose pink?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Sorry I havent been about recently. I havent been up to much because I have ben suffering with my shoulder. Since my diagnosis it has started playing up when I write which is difficult when I am studying.

I really hope that things work out for you and you manage to stay in one piece for the next 7 weeks and they take the cast off with no problems.

Take care of yourself.
    Jakib0644.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The seven weeks will soon pass - look at how fast the past seven have gone. It's 42 sleeps or 3 humira injections or 28 week-day episodes of Eastenders. It will pass, all things do.

I am glad to hear things are hurting less and that the cast is OK. Is it a pretty shade of pink? I think you should spread glue on it then scatter glitter all over. Gorge! Never mind the effect of glitter on Xrays or MRIs, a girl needs a bit of sparkle! DD
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Ooh DD,
    How silly am I? I never even thought of the glitter affecting the scans oops! My 3yr old niece spent all morning 'decorating' my fushia pink cast with silver and purple glitter and hello kitty stickers (which thankfully wouldn't stick on so tactfully lost them!) I'll phone tomorrow and check it's ok. Wrist a bit sore this afternoon but then did far too much today, will take it easy now, on the Plus side elbow not too painful.
    So glad I'm not back at hosp till nxt week, feel like I should have a camp bed there!
    Hope your knees and ankle are settling down? Thinking of you hugs

Big thankyou to everyone who sent hugs, I really appreciate your kindness
    Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi DD,
    My sister says that the cast should be ok even though I look like a Christmas tree, hubby says I should tie tinsel around it and be done with it! You should see the state of my bedding...oh dear silver and purple glitter everywhere!
    Hugs xxx
    'grá agus solas'
  • jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Hi Poppy,

Gosh you really have been in the wars havent you! i'm so pleased you are on the mend. I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery now that you are finally on the road to recovery. And be careful when carrying things up and down those stairs! PA makes us such delicate little flowers doesnt it? :grin:

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi Jenny,
    Thankyou, Ive had a bit of a bad time with the wrist, but I'm definitely not in as much pain with it.
    Elbow settling down although knee whinging today! You're spot on PA does make little flowers out of us! I reckon I'm a briar at times!!
    Hope you are feeling ok? Hugs x
    'grá agus solas'
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Glitter girl,

Think that's brilliant... now fancy you not wanting the transfers to say :lol::lol:

I hope it's a bit more comfortable now and don;t overdo it too much till week 5..... it might set it back a bit :wink: ((( ))) and would you like some more transfers? :lol::lol: Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I wanna sparkly plaster! I wanna sparkly plaster! t2328.gif It's not fair.

How is it feeling today, Poppy? OK, I hope. DD
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi DD,
    Feeling ok, wrist is always a bit sore an achy, but so much better than it was, I wish you could have seen my hair/face this morning...blasted glitter gets Everywhere!!!
    Hope the knees/ankle ok?
    Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
  • skezier
    Options
    You's definitely Glitter Girl :lol::lol::lol: xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    How's you doing today, Little Miss Sparkle? DD
  • Poppyg1rl
    Options
    Hi DD,
    Out with the family for Sunday lunch, my niece and I carried on glittering :lol: this time we added blue sticky stars and red glitter, we had a good giggle doing it, although the boys were less impressed and begged me to put the navy blue sling on to cover up the sparkly cast when we went out!!
    Knee bit swollen today, but wrist def on the mend, it's very tempting to use it to do more because you're not feeling so much pain but...if you do over use it you get a very sharp pain which is good because it's my body telling me to stop, I promise I'm listening!.
    Hope you ok? Thinking of you xxx
    'grá agus solas'