Another stupid question

Options
lupin15
lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
edited 24. Mar 2011, 03:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all was just wondering about OA and how it progresses. I have some runs of really good days and then i crash and have some bad ones.
I am still is early days and still quite activity but have lost the ability to some activities like running etc Do have days when i hobble around and some sleepless nights with pain. How fast does it progress and does keeping activity keep it at bay?

Comments

• keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

I don't think there's a definitive answer to that question as no two people are the same & our bodies react & cope in different ways.

x
    315yexv.jpg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Keith is spot-on with that reply. Your arthritis is unique to you. Keep a log of what irritates it/triggers a nasty bout and avoid those activities being done to extreme, and also note what helps it to recover. Yes, it does help to maintain a level of sensible physical activity as that keeps your muscles strong and thus your joints are better supported. Depending on where your OA is situated running could be one of the worst things to do - the impact on joints is appalling. Perhaps switch to cycling or swimming - they can be equally strenuous but much kinder on the joints. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    I started with my back problems 20 years ago..but..have never had continous problems just occasional flares until this last few years. My neck joined in and now it seems that my hips, knees and ankles are strting too. Because I have had a bad back and neck for years I have become accustomed to the pain it provides, although now some days are much worse than others. I try do do as much as I can - and have learned that when the twinges start I stop - to continue is stupid as it often results in muscle spasms which are so painful and debilitating.
    We are all different and the rate at which OA progresses is different too. I try not to worry too much about the future...I do what I can today and let tomorrow take care of itself
    Cath
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I have OA and I have agree that their is no real answer to your question. I wish there was, but we are all different, I suppose we all react differently to arthritis.

It's possible that with care and medical help from the doctor and physio etc that you won't get any worse. In fact your pain level could drop and you may just go back to having the odd ache and pain. It can and does happen to some lucky people, but who they are going to be, know-one can tell. Also you will find ways of coping that will help a lot and become part of your routine, I know I do my exercises without thinking now, but at first, I used to get the instructions out, worry I was doing things wrongly and try to see in the mirror, if i was in the right position!!! :oops:

You could try talking to the Helpline on here (number at the top of the page), they are experienced but not medical, they can send you some of the booklets about arthritis. Also, your doctor may have some in the waiting room or in his office. My hospital has them on a stand in the waiting room. They are FREE! Hope all goes well for you, I know I've built up a good relationship with my GP and she helps a lot. She admits when she doesn't know something, but will find out for you. I know a lot of GP's are not as sympathetic, but its worth trying!
    Good luck, love Sue
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Lupin
    Like the others have said everyone is different, you do have to keep active and keep the joints moving, always listen to your body, I am a great believer in exercise, but the ones you enjoy, ie walking in this lovely weather.
    Stretching is good especially in a morning before you do anythings.
    Good luck with it all
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Lupin,

Oh that's not a stupid question at all. hell given how bad it gets and how much it takes from you I think its a fair one actually.

OA follows rules but it follows then at its own pace. 1st and 2nd stage you have burns and then it goes into remission for a while. that can be a day or years only it decides. You can't make it go into remission, you can't control it and you can't stop it I am afraid.

In its 3rd stage it begins to grow the ossification and that's when it really starts to interfere with the joints action. The worse bit is from 3rd on its relentless, it doesn't stop it just grinds and grinds and grinds.

4th stage is the burnt out joints that it leaves you with.

BUT

It might never go beyond 2nd stage if it decides to go slow. Also you can do a bit to help the joints as well by looking after them. Nobody told me that and well maybe if they had I would held off so much.

As the pain or the actual dysfunctioning of the joints happen you start to use them less centrally and that can create uneven ware. They say about not giving them too much impact and use i think but I didn't know any of that and by the time I did i was 3rd stage so it would make no difference at all.

AC have some bits in the about arthritis pages about protecting the joints and they also have quite a lot of info on oa in all its guises as well. Might be worth you looking?

I can't remember what the actual thing that causes the pain in 1st stage is but 2nd its cus its after you cartlidges and 3rd comes all fusing and bone growth stuff. 4this easy cus by burn out the joint really can't function as it was meant to but it can hurt a lot less than 3rd stage.

In my case the 3rd stage in my back has helped to strengthen it a bit as the extra bones have fused it up a bit so you can be lucky in that respect.

Muscles also are very important to help keep it all bound together so I think a word with a physio is worth having. In my case they do keep telling me what ever I did do wrong (the list is apparently endless :wink: ) I did keep the muscle tone and evenness of the muscles in place and that lets me do more with less pain than I would be doing had I not.

Lupin honestly it can be so slow moving between the stages and only it will decide..... that's the worst bit cus a lot of mine did 1st to 3rd in months but some has only recently got to 3rd stage and its taken that over 30 years.

Some can be helped by surgery or replacements and some sadly can't it all depends on what its gone after and how.

Could take you years to get to the relentless stages flower so try not to think its going to be tomorrow. Cris xx
  • lupin15
    Options
    Hi thanks for your replies i was just interested more than worried. Mine has been bought on due to treatments and meds to do with cancer.
    I probably didn't realise until too late what damage i was doing because i was doing a lot of running after my first lot of treatment. Did the oh my god can't eat dairy in case i get the cancer back. I have in a way caused some of the problems. I do do a lot of walking keep quite activity. I thought it would vary from person to person which you have all confirmed. OA bought on early for me is a small price to pay for still being alive. Fingers crossed that mine will develop slowly but if it doesn't i know i will cope with you all supporting me on this site.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry I'm late answering this......No question is a stupid question if you want to know the answer!!!
    With me I went to the doc because my hip or top of my leg really was sore...never thought OA...eventually got a diagnosis of OA in hips and lower spine....I found it came on gradually and I adapted tasks without really realising it. This went on for about 7 yrs until I was referred back to the hospital who said I needed 2 new hips.....but like everyone has said ....we are all different. Yes exercise is important......use it or lose it LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Lupin, as everyone else has said - OA progresses at different rates in different people. It also can have variable progression. Low impact exercise is good to keep the muscles strong and maintain range of movement for as long as possible AC do good leaflets on exercise. Listen to you body too though and if it is sore and protesting more than usual - then rest up for awhile.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • lupin15
    Options
    Must admit on the odd days when i have been poorly and not got out and walked the dog i pay for it for a few days...stiffness etc. It is funny but i have adapted the things i do without realising. i.e like when i get up off the floor rather than put my hands flat down i am making a fist and pushing up with that. Cannot stand and lean over the desks at school any more now grab and chair and sit down, cannot stand still or in one spot for any time so avoid situations where this may happen. There is probably loads that i have not even noticed. Interesting.