Avascular necrosis

Options
molls
molls Member Posts: 4
edited 25. May 2013, 12:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Avascular necrosis does any one suffer with this like me..............have very bad days and would like someone to talk too who has been through it or going through it ..hope someone is out there

Comments

• moogiemouse2
    moogiemouse2 Member Posts: 1
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hiya

I had avascular necrosis in my right hip - I say had because at 26 I was given a hip replacement so technically speaking I no longer have it!! I feel your pain as i had it from the age of 17! As you probably know it breaks down the bone compared to many arthritic conditions which cause pain due to and excess on bone, when there was hardly any of my hip left I was given a replacement, in 2009 it was replaced again, unfortunately my left hip had developed osteoarthritis as it had been taking th estrain for many years and last year I had that replaced too - I am now officially bionic and practically pain free!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello molls, it's nice to meet you. I am sorry, I haven't had this - I think it is quite a rare thing, but please come and chat to us, we are a friendly bunch. I presume you have this as a result of arthritis, how long have you been affected by these conditions? What form of arthritis do you have? I see that moogiemouse knows about it - have you been offered any joint replacements? I hope today has been a better one for you and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • seebazz1
    seebazz1 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I am a 39 yr old who was diagnosed with stage 3 and 4 AVN on both sides of the hips in March 08, as well as OA there and in the knees, it is a long long time before anything will be done for me, and given that AVN is pretty rare, there is a lot of self learning and self care involved with this condition, I cant walk anywhere without crutches now, as for one thing my legs can give way at random moments, in addition to the fact that its no longer possible to walk normally anymore, with anything there are good days and bad day, some days incredibly uncomfortable and others a mix of discomfort and stiffness.
    With AVN especially if its in the lower limbs its important to take the weight off the joints as much as possible to try and "slow" down the degeneration, however with arthritis you need to exercise the joints also, so developing a good technique with crutches will help in both senses..........however.....there is of course the fatigue, which is a big thing for me and something that is still hard to cope with.
    Another thing is to try and hold off any depression that may occur, as someone who was always pretty sporty, when I found that I could no longer run and other things were proving to be too difficult or simply too painful I was down for a while, but I discovered I could do wheelchair sports and since last summer have got into entering road races in my wheelchair....while the legs may not work too well anymore, the top half is still Ok so make the most of that is what I feel.
    I am more than prepared to help or support anyone that is coping with AVN also, and in the meantime wish you all the best..
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Molls

welcome to the forum.....I know nothing of your condition but find it interesting to read and learn.

I am sure you will get lots of info from the other lovely people on here.

Take care
    juliepf x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Molls,

Welcome from me as well. Sorry I am late but I don;t always see so well.

I haven't got this but know there are people here who have and hopefully they will be along soon.

Its good that you have Seebazz to help you here but wish neither of you had it. hang in there flower. Nice to meet you. Cris x

Hi Seebazz nice to meet you to. x
  • Angel1326
    Angel1326 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis from the age of 12 and I am now 20, the only option I can now have is a hip replacement but I'm not sure weather to have it or not as I am still young and they don't last a lifetime, I would just like any advice If anyone has any? As I am suffering a lot with the pain now xxx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Really sorry to read of your problems. I have inflammatory hip arthritis, osteitis not avn. However, hip pain is overwhelming so I really feel compassion for you. It truly is horrible, big hug.
    Anna